Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  (Read 81599 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: March 17, 2019, 06:36:53 AM

I'm with some of the others. Spending $120 a month is hardly "cutting the cord" at all.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:18 AM

I'm with some of the others. Spending $120 a month is hardly "cutting the cord" at all.
I went to cut mine (Uverse)-- we have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime as it is (although the last one is because it pays for itself in free shipping every Christmas).

I ended up keeping the bare-bones TV package (local channels, SD, no DVR) because the cost of it was less than the cost of the "unbundled" internet.

Which is still a crock of shit, because I'm still paying basically 50 a month for uncapped internet and a bunch of local channels I never watch.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:01 AM

I need to get around to cancelling Netflix. I really only watch stuff sporadically and they keep upping the price while losing the content that isn’t Netflix shows (which I just have never gotten into).

Once Game of Thrones is back I will probably get HBO Now for a couple months to watch it plus catch up on stuff like Westworld season 2.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: March 18, 2019, 01:03:35 PM

Up here the regulators force the big ISPs to sell their bandwidth wholesale to smaller providers. My ISP sells me an Internet deal way, way cheaper than anything I could get from Bell or Rogers.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:46 AM

Not caring for spectator sports keeps my bills relatively low too.

Amazon Prime (which I would have anyway, but even though I don't care for many of their new shows they got like *all* the old sci-fi), Netflix (I actually like a lot of the original shows/movies they have), and.. um... "the internet" (lots of stuff just floating around out there).

I ditched DirectTV around the time of the merger. I only really had it for my daughter anyway.

Of course, I save nothing since my "Unlimited (it's not unlimited)" Satellite Internet is ~$150.00 a month.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: March 23, 2019, 06:38:49 AM

I need access to the NFL and cable news channels. Vue does this for me. Love the service.
schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: March 24, 2019, 10:01:35 PM

My wife wanted Weather Channel

you're literally typing things on the internet

what could she possibly want on the weather channel, dare I ask
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #112 on: March 25, 2019, 08:29:23 AM

They don't even show Fat Guys in the Woods anymore.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #113 on: March 25, 2019, 09:44:37 AM

My wife wanted Weather Channel

you're literally typing things on the internet

what could she possibly want on the weather channel, dare I ask

I mean... weather?

My wife is strange. She is a weather junkie, she has always liked listening to the Weather Channel's music in the background and when weather goes tits up around here with tornadoes, she still wants to be able to see something live about it. I'm fine with it as having to use Fubo means I get more soccer channels.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 08:31:18 AM

Just to make you feel better: mine likes the background noise AND flipping channels. During which she complains that nothing good is on. Otherwise I'd cut that shit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 09:44:44 AM

There is something about the cable box's casualness that suits certain times and moods. Hell, if I go into the studio and work on something that's fairly dull (like my current lessons of color matching, I'm literally just matching paint chips), I call up the Spectrum live page on my laptop just to have passive background viewing.

The problem with streaming services is you have to browse and choose each thing you want to watch. I don't want to burn series or really anything I'm interested in, because I'm not really paying too much attention. So you end up in that eternal scrolling through options and never picking one. With cable (or the online version, even), you can just flip to a channel and ignore it.

That's the main thing for me, especially now that we decided NFL Gamepass works the charm for us.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:10 PM

Work at a CBS affiliate for a few years.  That will destroy any interest you have interest in television.  Ohhhhh, I see.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: August 20, 2019, 07:48:09 PM

My next monthly payment for DirectTV AT&TTV is a week from today, and I will be cancelling before then. $90 a month for channels I barely ever watch. I bought a $20 HD antenna that will provide me all the local channels I want for $0 per month. I used to be an MSNBC junkie but I haven't watched it in months. Once it was apparent that nothing Trump did was going to get him impeached, all the breathless "Breaking News" bullshit wore extremely thin.

I may take a look at some of the other streaming services in the future, but I honestly find myself watching Hulu, Netflix, and Prime 95% of the time the TV is on. I will miss some of the live sports on FS1 and NBCSports, but I can probably live with that.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #118 on: August 21, 2019, 06:34:09 AM

Work at a CBS affiliate for a few years.  That will destroy any interest you have interest in television.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Had a friend that did this as a roving reporter. I can attest that's true for him. He finally quit and now runs his own videography biz.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: August 21, 2019, 01:04:04 PM

I would do an HD antennae myself and drop Playstation Vue but it doesn't work where I live. No signal. Wrong side of the mountain.
ynotgolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: August 21, 2019, 09:07:14 PM

Even with the recent price increase, and various channel lineup changes, Playstation Vue has been the best bang for the price for my household.  Wifey gets her HGTV & DIY, I get my Golf Channel, FS1, ESPN & NBC Sports.  We hardly watch ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox, but those are also all included in HD. Granted, it's $55/month, so it's not the cheapest option, but it's been reliable, the DVR works, and I only have to pay Comcast $40/month for High Speed Internet. 

I was paying them $200/month for essentially the same lineup of channels we actually watch before the swap.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: August 26, 2019, 05:47:22 AM

I've heard Youtube's streaming service may be better.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #122 on: August 26, 2019, 05:55:17 AM

We decided to pay for YouTube TV or whatever the shit it's called because of something my boy wanted to watch but I couldn't tell you anything about it. He is already using YouTube like we used TV back in the 1980s so it seemed a fine decision.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #123 on: August 26, 2019, 07:42:43 AM

Of the services I've researched and/or used, YoutubeTV is hands down the best service.

schild
Administrator

Reply #124 on: August 27, 2019, 11:32:07 AM

i like philo

it costs $20

it doesn't have sports bullshit
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #125 on: August 30, 2019, 06:13:10 AM

Unfortunately NFL is a thing in this house.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: August 30, 2019, 06:24:52 AM

Dude, get gamepass. If you can avoid spoilers during the time lag (most games at 8pm, evening games later obv), it's a superior experience. I use the PS4 Pro NFL app to access it. Most games have no commercials, and it's especially good with games that aren't aired on national networks, the commercial breaks range from setting up footage for the bumper to watching people in the booth adjust their junk on camera in silence. Also has a quick mode that just shows snap-to-snap gameplay.

We tried it last year because the old lady was getting pissed at the lack of Patriots games on tv, and we can't really get into choosing between Bills/Jets/Gints every week. Also nice because I started watching the Browns last year after Mayfield came in. This year it wasn't even a question, we reupped immediately.

$100/season
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #127 on: August 30, 2019, 06:37:04 AM

If you can avoid spoilers during the time lag (most games at 8pm, evening games later obv)

This is not how NFL works.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: August 30, 2019, 06:38:44 AM

Yeah, there is no way I can avoid spoilers for the NFL.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: August 30, 2019, 07:18:25 AM

Disconnect!

I have to hound the old lady to not spoiler herself, but she generally doesn't care. I don't have to worry about it, I watched with gamepass last year without having anything spoiled, including the playoffs.

edited to add: I don't gamble or play sports D&D, though
schild
Administrator

Reply #130 on: August 30, 2019, 06:27:47 PM

Unfortunately NFL is a thing in this house.

my condolences
WayAbvPar

Reply #131 on: August 31, 2019, 10:35:22 AM

If you can avoid spoilers during the time lag (most games at 8pm, evening games later obv)

Half the fun of watching NFL games is texting and Tweeting about it live.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #132 on: August 31, 2019, 12:52:21 PM

Half the fun of watching NFL games is texting and Tweeting about it live.

Yes, doubly so if you are in a league with everyone you know. Including the wife. Time delay is absolutely not an option.

WayAbvPar

Reply #133 on: August 31, 2019, 01:59:54 PM

Well, my no streaming service lasted less than 2 weeks. Pulled the trigger on FuboTV- it has Pac12 Network and RedZone. I am a weak man.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #134 on: August 31, 2019, 02:49:38 PM

Fubo has a good selection of stuff. Lots of soccer (it started as a sports-centric service) and it has recently added the ability to record a series. It's search and library features still don't hold up to YoutubeTV (because if there's one thing Google does well, it's search and suggestions based on your searches) but it's a good service.

WayAbvPar

Reply #135 on: August 31, 2019, 03:09:05 PM

I will probably dump it after football season, but it will be fun exploring channels I have never heard of for a few months.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: September 03, 2019, 06:34:33 AM

Asked on discord but recommendations for buying my own modem for a Fios connection? Preferably under $150.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #137 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:19 AM

Not a modem, you want a router. Who is your provider? Does your ONT have its Ethernet port enabled? Are you getting TV as well over fiber?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: September 03, 2019, 10:32:24 AM

Yah router, no TV. Whether the ONT has an port enabled I don't know. Guess I can bug verizon about it. OR fuck it maybe bargain em down on their own shit.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #139 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:38 AM

If the Ethernet port is enabled or you can get it enabled then you can just get whatever you want for your router. If it only has coax then your choices are more limited and I'm not sure what the options would be.

How big an area are you trying to cover with wireless?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Fuck Comcast unto death. Help me cut the cord! (Streaming TV options)  
Jump to: