Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rebel Galaxy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy  (Read 2488 times)
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

on: September 06, 2016, 11:10:51 AM

I didn't see a topic for this one. We got it on PS4. It was Free for Playstation Plus users this weekend. Just started it yesterday. It is aiming for a Firefly feel with the music and the voice acting. The audio is inconsistent though with the music being exceedingly loud, but the voices being almost inaudible once you turn the volume down.

This is what No Man's Sky needed. Random missions in the mission computer, a computer controlled economy that tells you where to move your goods, random bounties on randomly created pirates. Factions that you can gain or lose rep with depending on what you do and who you do it for that helps determine where you can land and what ships and armaments you have access too. It even has mining if the action gets too intense for you.

True space gamers may not like that the space combat is essentially boats shooting each other and even calls your attacks from the side "broadsides". It is 2d in space with no z-axis.

It's fun, so far. I plan on playing more to see what else it offers.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 11:50:13 AM

I would like to have more options in the pricing menus, but then it would turn into EVE.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:45:15 PM

I played about 6-8 hours or so once it became free on PS+.  I was excited cause I had wanted to play it (just never got around to actually buying it).

It was fun for a while but I'm not really sure why.  I spent a lot of time at the beginning profiting via trading and got to the 2nd best ship the first galaxy offered and upgraded all the weapons.  The combat killed it for me though as aiming broadsides was a pain in the ass (and I"m pretty sure my automated turrets did more damage anyway so half the time I didn't even bother) and missions were either average risk and crazy easy or high risk and I would literally be instagibbed. 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:47:14 PM

Available on PC or PS4 exclusive?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:54:49 PM

Available on PC or PS4 exclusive?
On Steam for PC, I enjoyed it for what it was, but I got it on the summer sale for some ridiculous discount. Fun game to play through, not a lot of replay value.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 01:29:42 PM

I disliked the combat a lot.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:14:45 AM

I too really disliked the combat. I normally love Pirates!-style tall ship combat (I don't have hundreds of hours in STO for nothing), but the really fucky camera angle combined with the game's somewhat shoddy targeting and ugly ships didn't keep me going long.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 11:46:12 AM

I've played it some more over the weekend.

I don't like the trader part of it so much now. When I do find a really low price, I can't find any place to sell it based off of the list of places I have traded at before because the prices all change before I get back there. So I tried the bartender and the Bartender tips are usually to places controlled by pirates or under militia embargo.

The story is still interesting me. I get to go try to rescue my aunt.

Random pirates and randomly appearing satellites with bounty lists are fun. Got to be careful picking up loot though, or the militias come after you if you get contraband.

So far the dumbest thing I have seen was a mission to save a trader and when I get there it's a minefield full of pirates and the trader flies straight into it. I just turned around and said, sucks to be you, bro.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 01:21:16 PM

I can't believe I'm dropping a tip for such a casual game, but sometimes those purple triangles you see in space are satellites that can be hacked for current pricing.  Naturally I find the entire idea of not being able to phone an entire space station to ask how much do you pay for space slaves to be a bit unbelievable.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Rebel Galaxy  
Jump to: