Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  (Read 38602 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #70 on: August 18, 2016, 08:05:39 AM

And I'm assuming you've played some team sports in your life, and you know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to teammates acting like disinterested or entitled or sulky jackasses. And you probably know how much you want to knock the block off those guys when it happens.

For the sake of the argument, let's just say it's all unwarranted, and she's the victim of largescale cyber bullying. I've always and will repeatedly said there's absolutely ZERO reason for athletes at any level to be on social media, or to look at what fans are saying. ZERO. If you're using it for branding, let the branding people handle it. If you can't let them handle it, there's ZERO reason to read the comments. Otherwise, it's only going to get you in trouble when you let trolls wreck your life, or you post a pic of you with a bong. Smarter athletes will realize this and ignore it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #71 on: August 18, 2016, 08:27:43 AM

Maybe she can go live in the third world shitholes many athletes come from without her gold medals if she has it so rough #firstworldbullshit I could go into how she shouldn't even have been on the team after her performance in the team quals, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with her consistent underperformance, her failure to deliver on her 'storyline' (while watching Aly do so) and her general unlikeability and lack of class. It's that goddamned twitter, like her mom said.

Anyway. Some of the IBA judges got bounced, shocking to anyone who watched boxing. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/sports/olympics/boxing-referees-and-judges-removed-after-a-review.html?_r=0

We caught the earlier Rus v Kaz match (the olympics are one of the few times the fiancee will watch boxing with me) and even she thought the Kaz fighter won. I told her he absolutely did, maybe a split decision, but he was clearly the better fighter and appeared to score more points.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 18, 2016, 01:08:11 PM

The Irish Boxing fans are up in Arms about their boxer "losing" to a guy who literally had to bow out of the competition as he was too badly hurt during the fight for doctors to let him continue in the competition.

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #73 on: August 18, 2016, 06:46:09 PM

Yes. I've been a team player. I was a competitive swimmer and volleyball player in high school and college. Had a guy actively throw a meet because his brother swam for our main rival team. That was a damn sight more than a teammate showing what others have deemed lukewarm support for team. I didn't fuck his shit up the way I wanted to when I was young, stupid and impulsive and I won't advocate the same for someone that falls far short of that.

As for your response Sky, third world shithole athletes? Like all the athletes that dropped out of competition rather than compete against Israelis? Or the ones that refused to shake hands? Fuck that noise. Most of them are too busy enjoying their time in the limelight and not dealing with the social media bullshit because they come from countries that actually appreciate their accomplishments and aren't a bunch of fucking bored trolls with nothing better to do with their lives than hassle someone from the anonymity of the internet.

Could she have handled herself better? Of course she could have, but the amount of shit she's getting for simply being who she is is ridiculous.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 18, 2016, 07:15:04 PM

Maybe she can go live in the third world shitholes many athletes come from without her gold medals if she has it so rough #firstworldbullshit I could go into how she shouldn't even have been on the team after her performance in the team quals, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with her consistent underperformance, her failure to deliver on her 'storyline' (while watching Aly do so) and her general unlikeability and lack of class. It's that goddamned twitter, like her mom said.

So, like, do you actually feel as angry and impassioned about this as its coming across on the internet? You usually seem like a pretty level person, but if you care this much about this story just  take a step back for a second. Jesus.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 18, 2016, 07:26:58 PM

Yes. I've been a team player. I was a competitive swimmer and volleyball player in high school and college. Had a guy actively throw a meet because his brother swam for our main rival team. That was a damn sight more than a teammate showing what others have deemed lukewarm support for team. I didn't fuck his shit up the way I wanted to when I was young, stupid and impulsive and I won't advocate the same for someone that falls far short of that.

As for your response Sky, third world shithole athletes? Like all the athletes that dropped out of competition rather than compete against Israelis? Or the ones that refused to shake hands? Fuck that noise. Most of them are too busy enjoying their time in the limelight and not dealing with the social media bullshit because they come from countries that actually appreciate their accomplishments and aren't a bunch of fucking bored trolls with nothing better to do with their lives than hassle someone from the anonymity of the internet.

Could she have handled herself better? Of course she could have, but the amount of shit she's getting for simply being who she is is ridiculous.

Expecting the same response from a 20 year old kid as that of a grown man who gets paid millions for performing, and has been doing it for much longer, is a bit much, I agree.  If her coaches and teammates are OK with her, then why can't everyone else?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:29:22 PM by Ginaz »
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 18, 2016, 07:28:08 PM

So, like, do you actually feel as angry and impassioned about this as its coming across on the internet? You usually seem like a pretty level person, but if you care this much about this story just  take a step back for a second. Jesus.

He's still bitter about people trolling No Man's Sky? awesome, for real
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #77 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:36 PM

I just learned that Ryan Lochte is 32.  I thought he was a decade younger.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #78 on: August 18, 2016, 07:37:56 PM

No, he just acts it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #79 on: August 18, 2016, 09:05:39 PM

She's a kid who went from top dog to 3rd place on the team, give her a break.  Also, neither of the two American medalists in Shot put his hand on heart during the anthem and I bet you won't hear a single peep about it. Wonder why.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 18, 2016, 10:53:46 PM

She's a kid who went from top dog to 3rd place on the team, give her a break.  Also, neither of the two American medalists in Shot put his hand on heart during the anthem and I bet you won't hear a single peep about it. Wonder why.

The same reason some people use Obama's middle name when referencing him.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #81 on: August 19, 2016, 06:51:18 AM

Probably because nobody was seriously paying attention to Shot. In primetime we get blasted with day after day of 90% swimming, women's gymnastics, and track. I've seen almost nothing of the other events unless you want to cruise to the crap channels or you're watching all 5 hours in a row of the primetime broadcast.

You know how these thngs go, just like the Lochte thing. If it's a random shotput guy that lies to the police and says he was assaulted but actually wasn't it's nowhere near the same story as one of the big-time American swimmers getting involved in it.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:44 AM

but the amount of shit she's getting for simply being who she is is ridiculous.

This.

At some point y'all need to take a look at yourselves and really wonder, is your criticism of some 20yo girl really worth it?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
WayAbvPar

Reply #83 on: August 19, 2016, 12:06:58 PM

I just learned that Ryan Lochte is 32.  I thought he was a decade younger.

God what a cunt he is.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 19, 2016, 03:01:55 PM

In other news the Paralympics are going to have to be scaled back due to budget shortfalls. Part of this is due to the fact that only 12% of the tickets have been sold, which is a real shame. The events are also suffering from the wider financial malaise affecting Brazil right now. This is a real step back from London, where the 2012 Paralympics were the first to sell out all tickets. As it stands some teams may not be able to send full teams or even any team at all since they rely on travel grants from the IPC. Some have gone out, but three weeks late

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: August 20, 2016, 02:04:55 AM

Scaling back probably saved some lives. I wish I was joking.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #86 on: August 21, 2016, 07:51:20 PM

The handoff to Tokyo went epic.

http://youtu.be/OkXqVf5jcYY

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #87 on: August 21, 2016, 07:56:24 PM

That video is not working for me, so here's the most important bit (via Twitter): Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as Mario.

https://twitter.com/lmfaofa/status/767529677955018753
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #88 on: August 21, 2016, 09:49:22 PM

That was better than my video.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:30 AM

In other news the Paralympics are going to have to be scaled back due to budget shortfalls. Part of this is due to the fact that only 12% of the tickets have been sold, which is a real shame. The events are also suffering from the wider financial malaise affecting Brazil right now. This is a real step back from London, where the 2012 Paralympics were the first to sell out all tickets. As it stands some teams may not be able to send full teams or even any team at all since they rely on travel grants from the IPC. Some have gone out, but three weeks late

Do Paralympic tickets usually sell? Can't really believe people are normally packing stadiums to see that...
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 22, 2016, 11:44:12 AM

London sold out I think, or near enough to.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 22, 2016, 07:22:20 PM

No idea about the Para, but my sister volunteers at the special olympics and she says they are well attended.

Hic sunt dracones.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #92 on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:52 PM

Do Paralympic tickets usually sell? Can't really believe people are normally packing stadiums to see that...

The Paralympics is very popular here in Australia and definitely some other countries. There's an appreciation of the guts and determination. The Sydney version was well attended in 2000.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 22, 2016, 08:15:05 PM

I seem to remember they were well attended in Vancouver in 2010.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #94 on: August 22, 2016, 11:24:22 PM

They are actually a pretty big deal. They did well in SLC and the Paralympic Flag is right next to the Olympic flag in the display here.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 22, 2016, 11:41:50 PM

Of course you can't.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 23, 2016, 03:57:39 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/24/sports/russia-paralympic-games-ban.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

RIO DE JANEIRO — The highest court for world sports has upheld the decision to ban Russia from the Paralympic Games because of widespread doping, rejecting an appeal by the country and issuing what is considered the final word on the matter.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #97 on: August 23, 2016, 07:34:02 PM

In non-doping news, I've got a huge fake crush on Fu Yuanhui, the Chinese backstroker that took a bronze in the 50 and didn't realize it until she got out of the pool and went for an interview.

In a world of cool and (mostly) composed athletes, she's just this huge, adorable dork.

https://youtu.be/Jn0nPGfH1HI

schild
Administrator

Reply #98 on: August 23, 2016, 08:05:40 PM

She's precious.

I bet she has a great credit score.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  
Jump to: