Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  (Read 38606 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 07:22:33 PM

Phelps gets to watch the race for silver and bronze.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 08:11:37 PM

Going in to these Olympics, kept saying I really didn't care. Turns out I was wrong.

And our Gold Medalist even managed to do it in a way that Americans will actually have to notice. (Tied an American for the Gold)

That makes Penny Oleksiak the most decorated single year Summer Olympian in Canadian history, and she's 16.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 09:28:48 PM

All time Olympic men's swimming gold medals by country:

1. U.S.A.
2. Australia
3. Michael Phelps
4. Germany

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 04:06:43 AM

Going in to these Olympics, kept saying I really didn't care. Turns out I was wrong.

And our Gold Medalist even managed to do it in a way that Americans will actually have to notice. (Tied an American for the Gold)

That makes Penny Oleksiak the most decorated single year Summer Olympian in Canadian history, and she's 16.
Also the first Olympian born in this century/millennium to win a gold medal.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 07:25:36 AM

Last night was pretty entertaining, with Simone and Aly just nailing their floor performances and Phelps phelping.

I do enjoy watching the bobbleheads have to scramble to report an event that doesn't follow their script, though. Like they kept showing the favored Aussie rather than the Canadian (?) who won. I forget because they basically said 'good for her' and went back to their script about the Aussie.

Watching dudes get knocked teh fuck down by the ball in indoor volleyball was fun for a few minutes, but the beach version is more enjoyable to watch, with actual volleying and stuff. The old lady insisted in watching badminton.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 08:00:18 AM

Simone Biles was just phenomenal to watch.

Also, while I'm disappointed that GB lost the 7s final, Fiji played their socks off and absolutely deserved to win the gold - the first ever Olympic medal for them as a country. I'm glad 7s is in the games, it's just a bloody fun sport to watch. Almost makes me wish they'd replace football with Olympic 5-a-side.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 09:01:29 AM

Not immediately Olympics related, but someone wrote about how Simone Biles can what she does, and talks about the physics.  It's damn interesting, IMO.

http://qz.com/754760/simone-biles-vs-a-robot-rio-2016/?utm_source=qzfbarchive

WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 06:44:03 PM

Not immediately Olympics related, but someone wrote about how Simone Biles can what she does, and talks about the physics.  It's damn interesting, IMO.

http://qz.com/754760/simone-biles-vs-a-robot-rio-2016/?utm_source=qzfbarchive

Very cool.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 10:00:56 PM

After hearing Hope Solo's comments after losing to Sweden in soccer, I'm so glad the US lost.  The US women's soccer team have had some proper bitches playing for them over the years (much like the US women's hockey team) and it's nice to see them eat a shit sandwich for once.  Suck it!  Yahoo!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 10:03:09 PM by Ginaz »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 10:43:12 PM

And we are guaranteed to finish higher than them in Soccer now.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My hatred of the US Women's Soccer team has nothing to do with the US of A - its directed specifically straight at that team.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 05:04:01 PM

Man, some good stuff going on.  Sucks being way out of time zone, and in a country that currently doesn't seem to want to cover the Olympics at all when I go into any bar (they are throwing a big hissy fit over here).  I know its easy to be cynical about the corruption, but the Olympics are genuinely fun to watch if you take the time.

In other news, a Cyclist rides up a near vertical wall to avoid a crash, and makes it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:05:41 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 06:13:00 AM

img width=800 is your friend  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:16 AM

Ah, see I had originally changed it to that, but after posting, though it was too small.  So I edited it to bigger.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 09:21:22 PM

Everyone else at peak output. Bolt is posing for photos.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 10:30:36 PM

You gotta wonder how fast that dude might really be able to run if only he had someone to actually push him.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: August 14, 2016, 10:39:27 PM

His stride is longer than most of those other dudes are tall.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 14, 2016, 11:06:45 PM

You gotta wonder how fast that dude might really be able to run if only he had someone to actually push him.

Eh, photographer just caught him half through a quick glance, he was pushing it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 15, 2016, 12:09:16 AM

Nah, I didn't mean that photo, just his career in general.  If he would have had a nemesis running consistently in the 9.7s, he probably would have had more times in the sub 9.7 range than he actually managed.  I mean, his world record is crazy, but half the races you see him run he is so comfortably ahead that you gotta wonder if he had a tiny bit more in him. 

I don't think we'll ever see one like him again in our lifetimes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 15, 2016, 04:54:27 AM

He also seems to be generally a decent dude and not a colossal dick like most of the other "world's fastest men".

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #54 on: August 15, 2016, 01:04:28 PM

I have no words:

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 15, 2016, 01:49:49 PM

That he fucked up a pole vault attempt badly?

-Stephen Colbert
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:18 PM

That he fucked up a pole vault attempt badly?

Did you not see what hit the bar first? awesome, for real
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 15, 2016, 07:53:04 PM

Outside of fucking the pole, the actual competition is riveting. The young Brazilian just cleared 6.03...god I love the Olympics. Making me care about silly sports once every 4 years.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #58 on: August 15, 2016, 08:39:29 PM

That Brazil-France V-ball game was nutso.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #59 on: August 15, 2016, 10:35:57 PM

Sanne Wevers, sooo hot.

USA snagging two more event golds there, glad the girls all snagged a couple medals...except this chick who needs to learn some sportsmanship (and only got a team gold early on):

Her mother is going nuts at the criticism, but we saw this shot live, among many others. Supportive team and this bitch giving a couple golf claps and never standing to cheer at all. Mom blames racism. Classy, wonder where the kid learned it.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 15, 2016, 10:42:47 PM

I'm sure it's fun bein a black kid at the Olympics in the current US political atmosphere.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #61 on: August 15, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

People have been taking shots at Gabby since before she got to Rio. I'd be lukewarm on the whole thing too at this point.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #62 on: August 16, 2016, 06:01:27 AM

I'm sure it's fun bein a black kid at the Olympics in the current US political atmosphere.

Simone Biles seems to be enjoying herself.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 16, 2016, 06:37:26 AM

Simone Biles seems to be enjoying herself.

But she's the current golden girl and everyone is fawning over here.  Not that she doesn't deserve the adoration, she's fantastic, but I can see TheWalrus' point, too.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #64 on: August 16, 2016, 06:51:13 AM

I've watched Gabby for a few of her events. I don't really care about the racial makeup of the team, but I do notice that she seemed very taciturn and disinterested throughout the entire thing. Just looks like she's not enjoying herself at all, or the team. No idea why, but I've been on many team sports in my life, and if your ass is on the bench when somebody on your team does something well, you're getting absolutely reamed by your coaches. That goes for baseball, soccer, basketball, football, etc.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #65 on: August 16, 2016, 09:10:32 PM

And at no point in any of those team sports did you have people tweeting about how your hair should look or how you're not patriotic enough becuase your hand wasn't over your heart during the national anthem.

But please continue talking about what a bad sport she is.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 16, 2016, 11:15:32 PM

Did you not see what hit the bar first? awesome, for real

... his knees.  Get off my lawn!

Hic sunt dracones.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 17, 2016, 12:18:52 AM

Actually his shins.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: August 17, 2016, 06:13:18 AM

And at no point in any of those team sports did you have people tweeting about how your hair should look or how you're not patriotic enough becuase your hand wasn't over your heart during the national anthem.

But please continue talking about what a bad sport she is.

Okay if you insist. It's a bad look when you don't support your team. I don't care about her hair or her anthem or any of that stupid stuff, nor do I give a shit what color anybody is on that team. I do care about how teammates carry themselves in any team sport. If you look disinterested, with a shitty look on your face, guess what? Fans are going to ream you about it. And coaches should ream you about it. It's not that hard to be involved especially in a sport that's entirely based on your poise. Everybody who's played on a team knows this already. It's not brand new.

Or do we suddenly forget guys like Jay Cutler, whitest of the white boys and look at the endless crap he gets simply from his facial expressions on the sidelines alone? Or how people can't stand Papelbon because of his giant douche factor with his teammates? Or AJ Pierzynski, or any other legion of players that look like they want to punch a puppy rather than talk to anybody.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #69 on: August 17, 2016, 08:26:14 PM

Jay Cutler? Papelbon?  AJ Pierzynski? Really?

You're comparing 30+-year-old millionaires to a 20-year-old girl who's best options after this year are either being, "That black girl who won some gold medals back in the day and got cyber-bullied" or replacing Nastia Liukin on NBC's shitty gymnastics coverage.

Ok then.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  
Jump to: