Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  (Read 38604 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:45 PM

Opening ceremony in a couple hours.

Women's beach volley starts tomorrow.

That is all, really.

Or, maybe not.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:58:46 PM

Olympics lost its flavor after the USSR disbanded. Now it is just a bunch of running, swimming, and weird activities I've never participated in.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:37:43 PM

lol

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:32:41 AM

Declare victory and leave.  Quite while you're ahead!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:28:09 AM

French gymnast who apparently has boneitis breaks his left leg in exactly the same way he broke his right leg just before the London olympics four years ago. Gets dropped as they're putting him in the ambulance. Vows he will return. 

There's video of the leg breaking. Trust me, you don't want to see it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 11:38:45 AM

Olympics lost its flavor after the USSR disbanded. Now it is just a bunch of running, swimming, and weird activities I've never participated in.

So apparently olympic BMX is now a thing. 
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:36 PM

When is the women's beach volleyball? awesome, for real  Only reason I'd watch the summer Olympics.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 04:56:10 PM

The fucking crash during the womens road race was terrifying. Absolutely not linking the twitter video of it.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 05:00:59 PM

I swore she was dead the way she flopped when she hit. Spinal fractures and a concussion but she was conscious and talking when they got her out.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:23 PM

Wear your helmet, blah blah.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 05:03:43 PM

The fucking crash during the womens road race was terrifying. Absolutely not linking the twitter video of it.

I like watching people fall down and shit like that but not when they hurt themselves.  And I'm not watching the video of the gymnast breaking his leg, either.  Tim Krumrie breaking his leg in Super Bowl XXIII and having the replay shown over and over again turned me off that kind of stuff a long time ago. ACK!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 06:17:54 PM

It wasn't  venue related was it?  

Saw reports earlier of a sailing/ rowing athlete who flipped when he hit a couch in the waterfront .

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 07:58:16 PM

Grats on number 19, Phelps.

I'm sure all the other olympians appreciate your continued existence.

(he is not a man, he is a water kite)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:47 PM

The second he hit the water, I knew the other teams were fucked. He broke water at 25 meters. You're not gonna beat that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 09:27:14 PM

Crazy that almost every swim race breaks a world record. Is this pool short?

And the Brazil v Sweden football match was  Ohhhhh, I see. on so many bad calls/no-calls.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 11:32:37 PM

That crash was insane.  You could only see glimpses of it (no way am I watching a clip), but it looked like she had curb where her clavicle should have been.

The swimming thing and all the world records is something I've been scratching my head over as well.  I mean, they even banned the supersuits from a few years back that were giving a huge advantage and breaking all the records, and yet they still manage to improve world records all the time.  It's probably too easy to just blame it on drugs*, because there is no reason to believe these swimmers are on drugs at a higher rate than they would have been in the past.  The only explanation I can think of is that swimming, unlike various track & field types of events where time and distance records are measured, is not an intuitive human movement or a perfect science.  Hydrodynamics come into play, and the various styles have specific rules to ensure the movements are correct, but which also put artificial limitations on how efficient they can be.  They even limit the amount of underwater time.  Hell, even a person's body shape/size play a huge role.  So I guess the point is that we really haven't figured out people can swim within these limitations, unlike something out on the track where we must be getting pretty close to the limits. 

*And yeah, I just assume at this point the swimmers are doped.  The work these people go through is insane, a bit of a chemical edge probably does wonders.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:20 AM

My totally ignorant guess is it some kind of gel they are slathering their body with to reduce water drag. Does the same thing as the suit but is invisible to long range inspection.

Hic sunt dracones.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 08:35:50 AM

That crash was insane.  You could only see glimpses of it (no way am I watching a clip), but it looked like she had curb where her clavicle should have been.

The swimming thing and all the world records is something I've been scratching my head over as well.  I mean, they even banned the supersuits from a few years back that were giving a huge advantage and breaking all the records, and yet they still manage to improve world records all the time.  It's probably too easy to just blame it on drugs*, because there is no reason to believe these swimmers are on drugs at a higher rate than they would have been in the past.  The only explanation I can think of is that swimming, unlike various track & field types of events where time and distance records are measured, is not an intuitive human movement or a perfect science.  Hydrodynamics come into play, and the various styles have specific rules to ensure the movements are correct, but which also put artificial limitations on how efficient they can be.  They even limit the amount of underwater time.  Hell, even a person's body shape/size play a huge role.  So I guess the point is that we really haven't figured out people can swim within these limitations, unlike something out on the track where we must be getting pretty close to the limits. 

*And yeah, I just assume at this point the swimmers are doped.  The work these people go through is insane, a bit of a chemical edge probably does wonders.

It's drugs. Our swimmers put the East German swim team women of yore to shame. The fact we're even pretending that swimmers like Ledecky and the Hungarian girl are legit shattering WR by what? 2 seconds? A full body length? No, they are doped to the gills, but they are doing it in much less obvious ways.

It's not just swimming, it's everything now. Tennis, NFL, soccer, golf, etc. The science has completely out-paced the testing, and nobody is concerned about getting caught. At best, they MIGHT find masking agents. And that's a maybe. Most of the time, they don't have the tests to detect what's going on at all, any different from normal human body hormones.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 11:17:08 AM

It's drugs. Our swimmers put the East German swim team women of yore to shame. The fact we're even pretending that swimmers like Ledecky and the Hungarian girl are legit shattering WR by what? 2 seconds? A full body length? No, they are doped to the gills, but they are doing it in much less obvious ways.

It's not just swimming, it's everything now. Tennis, NFL, soccer, golf, etc. The science has completely out-paced the testing, and nobody is concerned about getting caught. At best, they MIGHT find masking agents. And that's a maybe. Most of the time, they don't have the tests to detect what's going on at all, any different from normal human body hormones.

When there's potentially millions of dollars at stake, can you blame them?  I'm not ashamed to admit that I would probably dope if it meant the difference of winning and making a shit tonne of money or losing and having to go pump gas or work in a call centre for minimum wage.  Even if I did get caught later on, I would have already made my money.  Do you think Alex Rodriguez sleeps any less soundly knowing he got caught?  I bet a mattress stuffed with $500 million is awful comfy.  I don't really blame the athletes, it's the sports organizations (IOC, NFL, MLB etc.) where the blame lies.  Juiced athletes make them rich.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 11:52:22 AM

I'm just tired of the drug game. I don't really care about "integrity" of the game anymore in most sports, with the exception of baseball. You really really REALLY don't need drugs to be able to play in the majors of baseball, and those that do it wreck the achievements of a sport that's over a century old where the main thing that matters are the stats and records.

In other sports it's mostly about wins (some things like timed events are about records), and if everyone is doping the playing field is level.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 12:02:18 PM

Women's Rugby is now my 2nd favorite olympic sport.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 12:12:45 PM

Women's Rugby is now my 2nd favorite olympic sport.

Women's Rugby 7s was great. What a entertaining and, obviously, quick moving event. Brutal too.  Some of those hits coming out of the Kiwis and Aussies..

As for the rest? Eh, I don't think they're all doping or cheating. Athletes are stronger and faster. You see this in virtually every sport on the planet. Training regimes, facilities, and recovery processes are all better. Diets and supplements (grey area here) are much better. Technology surrounding everything is better. The Hungarian lady is a bit suspect.  She's physically massive and improved at an almost inhuman pace. Her husband/coach looking like a cross between Shia Lebouf and Tom Hardy doesn't help. And it's terrible that they let some of the Russians compete in cases where they had clear histories of doping.

Literally everything they do now is better and gets better all of the time, how would it not produce better athletes?  

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 12:20:13 PM

Literally everything they do now is better and gets better all of the time, how would it not produce better athletes?  

We have computers and testing and all these fun ways of thinking about the human body now, but fundamentally very little has changed in training.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/training-athletes-30-years-ago-has-anything-really-changed

There's some detail on the idea, but despite changing names of how these people exercise, very little is different. What IS different is the access to information on the internet and in immediate feedback devices that monitor body temp, heart rate, oxygen levels, etc.

Oh, and nutrition and drugs. Which when you get beyond the exercise routines and the "technology" which is really just more feedback, you come back to drugs. They are on drugs or "supplements" which is the entire issue. It's only grey because companies race to beat the regs, and then change formulas to beat them again.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 12:30:59 PM

I'm enjoying the background shots more than the athletics.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:50 PM

Watching LeClos warm up in front of Phelps was priceless.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 08:47:41 PM

I have no nice way of saying this so I'm just gonna

Men's synchronized diving is literally the gayest thing I've ever seen - and I'm watching the US fuck up their gymnastics floor routines right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 08:48:42 PM

WHY ARE THE NUMBERS ON THE TAGS IN COMIC SANS

fuck
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 11:26:57 PM

Watching LeClos warm up in front of Phelps was priceless.

Heh, Phelps went all Anakin in Revenge.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 12:45:33 AM

That crash was insane.  You could only see glimpses of it (no way am I watching a clip), but it looked like she had curb where her clavicle should have been.

The swimming thing and all the world records is something I've been scratching my head over as well.  I mean, they even banned the supersuits from a few years back that were giving a huge advantage and breaking all the records, and yet they still manage to improve world records all the time.  It's probably too easy to just blame it on drugs*, because there is no reason to believe these swimmers are on drugs at a higher rate than they would have been in the past.  The only explanation I can think of is that swimming, unlike various track & field types of events where time and distance records are measured, is not an intuitive human movement or a perfect science.  Hydrodynamics come into play, and the various styles have specific rules to ensure the movements are correct, but which also put artificial limitations on how efficient they can be.  They even limit the amount of underwater time.  Hell, even a person's body shape/size play a huge role.  So I guess the point is that we really haven't figured out people can swim within these limitations, unlike something out on the track where we must be getting pretty close to the limits.  

*And yeah, I just assume at this point the swimmers are doped.  The work these people go through is insane, a bit of a chemical edge probably does wonders.
First thing is that they removed all world records as they banned the supersuits which means that the oldest world record is 8 years old, meaning a very short history. Second thing is that hydroponics in the pool has a lot to do with chances to break records. Third is like you say, the human body isn't made for swimming and the current video recording techniques help athletes more and more.

The problem with talking about doped swimmers being the main reason why we have so many world records is that with that line of thinking every old record was made by a doped swimmer. For all the talk about how good they are at avoiding doping tests you should remember that they will check the tests in 2020 and 2024 again.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:17 AM

I did not know that they had removed the records from the supersuit period, so that's something.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 11:35:31 AM

They were an amazing advantage. High school kids were hitting college level speeds which doesn't happen for men.

Strokes have a lot of leeway and as gimfain points out there's some very big advances being made there. When I swam the catch was a new thing and there were tools coming out to aid learning it properly. Then the big advance in breaststroke where the hips and body started a dolphin kick, along with an improved forward hand motion. Huge leaps in times there.

Then there's the things swimmers figure out that may or may not be removed from the rules. Backstroke was only restricted from long distances underwater in the last 4 games, because some clever fucker figured they could hold their breath long enough to make it to the end and not fight the pool waves. Dolphin kicking for 75 meters wasn't technically illegal so whatchagonnado.

Every year a little bit more efficient motion is found and speeds increase. Catch, pull, release, recover, dip are all bits of just the arm stoke. Then the kid, the position of the feet, the stiffness of the ankle, the duration of tie underwater.  Lots and lots of impact. Then the dynamics of the pool itself.

Not that there aren't probably dopers. There's just a lot of things that influence swimming that weren't really studied until the last 25+ years. Technology is letting them zero in on those even more than running, track and other sports where equipment is regulated and restricted.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:45 AM

Simone Biles is something else

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 02:47:37 PM

Looking forward to Australia vs USA basketball, commencing shortly.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 12:54:03 AM

Well you certainly made us work for it, from what I read.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 01:10:57 AM

Yeah I was trying to get in first, before our shock win :) This Aussie team is our best ever. Good game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Rio 2016 Summer Olympics  
Jump to: