Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Legion Pre-Expansion Patch Hits - everything changes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legion Pre-Expansion Patch Hits - everything changes  (Read 151247 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 11:43:01 PM

removal of totems, eh

what else remarkable has happened to that class anyway
Havent tried elemental, but enhance is now basicly purely mele.  You do still have lightning bolt, but currently there is no point in even having it on your bars (there is a talent that makes it hit really hard on a 6 or 8 second cooldown or something like that, but sims have it preforming very sub par).  Lavaburst is gone. Totems are gone.  Frostbrand / Flametongue are back as debuffs you maintain on targets for damage / procs.  Everything else is basicly  just spamming Boulderfist / Stormstrike / lavalash / crash lightning as required.  Once you have your artifact, you will have the potential for some pretty crazy burst (one of the artifact abilities gives you the ability to passively generate maelstrom while in ghostwolf).

Enhance has also been tweaked to be a "buff bot" so to speak for the raid, through a passive ability that causes their hits to empower nearby players with a buff that makes them do extra damage for a brief bit,  meaning that every raid is going to want at least 1 enhance shaman in the raid purely for that buff.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: August 07, 2016, 09:21:09 AM

Gonna start fresh again with Legion and roll a DH on Tuesday. The changes to DK overall have kinda turned me off, but the time I spent in beta with the DH were much better. The mobility and utility available suits me. Until then I've been playing around with a Demo Warlock. A personal army of demons is pretty  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:58 AM

Today, after patch, the invasion begins. There will be a couple of event-only achievements relating to invasions, a new pet, and a new toy to pick up.

Here is a preview from Blizzard.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:56:22 AM by Xanthippe »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 08:18:34 AM

#hype  Yahoo!

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 09:20:57 AM

from Wowhead:

Dark Whispers
The Dark Whispers event affects players at random in Stormwind and Orgrimmar.

You have an ability called  Turn Ally that turns a targeted player Hostile. Turning an ally will make a stack of Frail Mind go away but also makes you hostile, so you need to use your  Cloak of Darkness to vanish for a bit so you aren't killed. You can disguise yourself as you go around doing this too with  Illusionary Guise. You can also confuse a group of players with  Hysteria.

When all 9 stacks are removed, you can turn into a Dreadlord for a minute if you use  Give In To Darkness.

lesion

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 07:32:09 AM

DH seems pretty fun despite not having a full move-set yet. Also falling out of the sky and slamming into the ground wearing a ninja costume is ichiban wowfashion experience.

I can't see shit on the invasion bosses, either because I'm old or the new ability animations are too much when 20+ characters are trying to spam a huge NPC to death. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

steam|a grue \[T]/
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:13 PM

Vengeance DH is definitely keeping my interest at this point. Ran around and did all of the invasion points, collected the full leather gear set, and bought all of the ilvl 700 accessory gear from the shop. Even got two of the ilvl 700 warglaives (purchased one, looted the other) and got one maxed out to 725. Shouldn't be too hard to get the other to 725 before Legion launches and still be able to pick up the nethershard pet to boot. Then, I shall be prepa...well, you know.  awesome, for real

Right now, the invasions are timed to your character. You get access to two invasions every four hours, which will ramp up quickly every Tuesday until launch. Word is the last week will basically give you an invasion every hour, if not sooner.

Also, there's more scenario/lorelol quests and stuff being unlocked over the next couple weeks prior to launch as well.

And if you haven't seen the in-game Broken Shores and DH videos yet, here you go: 1 2 3 4 5

So nice to see Bliz using gnomes for  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 09:46:20 PM

This is so different to play. How.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #43 on: August 15, 2016, 07:08:07 PM

One of my friends is actually trying to talk me into this, telling me beta does not suck. WHAT IS TRUTH HERE?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #44 on: August 15, 2016, 07:24:24 PM

True enough, but remember that's only the leveling experience. Only re-up if you only want to level and be done with the game. Endgame is still daily quest grinds so you can get flying and raids.

And after the fuckfest that has been the last year of zero added content, I don't expect them to do any better in Legion*. This game is on life support, lurching from expansion release to release.

** Actually, TWO years if you consider the patch before the last raid was devoid of content at all.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 07:43:58 PM

One of my friends is actually trying to talk me into this, telling me beta does not suck. WHAT IS TRUTH HERE?

Suck or not, it's still WoW. I don't think I could hop back on this horse if it was objectively the best thing ever. Weariness would start to set in minute 1. That's no slight to the game, I've just re-upped once or twice too many by now.

-Rasix
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 10:12:06 PM

day one of re-entry

- jump in and see that my hotkey bars are a graveyard of now-dead macros. What used to be 46 actions in sum (including the 4-totem drop sets) can now be pared down to a 7 to 9 ability rotation
- spend one hour cleaning out my hotkeys and looking at icy veins to figure out what is the Correct build, before choosing my talents. chose Correct talents.
- spend one hour going through the transmog changes and figuring out that I can dump out literally hundreds of items from my bank
- spend some additional time realizing I can just dump my maxed out formerly-top-of-the-line PvP set from Season 10. PvP sets aren't a thing anymore.
- my god, i have room on my bars and in my bank, what
- retransmog

- jump to mystic asia china expansion, to the ~mystic exotic jade asian forest~

- on one quest i get a cooldown-free ability that i can spam to make my dancing ghost wolf form look like it is spewing endless dog vomit out in a continuous greasy stream of vom. never turning in quest, sorry besieged peasants
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 03:25:23 AM

x11 because I have a sickness for alts

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 04:12:30 AM

The pre-launch event, while somewhat simplified, is getting some pretty rave reviews for all of the "little things" they put into it. They didn't just plop a bunch of demons down into some old zones and let them run amok.

I mean, they DID do that, but they also put a shit ton of scripted events with the NPCs of the zones. Quest vendors and characters from the leveling experience have actually been coded to respond to the invasions, from the peasants and CSI Miami knockoffs in Westfall to Mankrik defending his wife's grave one-shotting demons in the Barrens. A handful of vendors will actually just give you a buff instead of the normal shop interface of low-level junk they sell. Even the treant your supposed to kill near the Ogrimmar Read Gate as part of the goblin leveling area can be saved from the Legion's attack and join the fight.

If you're not using the level 100 boost, the invasion event is a great booster. They recently hotfixed the stages to give a shit ton of XP for each stage completed.

FUN DETECTED! FUN MUST BE NERFED! XP REDUCED!  swamp poop
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:36:31 AM by luckton »

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 10:45:38 AM

The pre-launch event, while somewhat simplified, is getting some pretty rave reviews for all of the "little things" they put into it. They didn't just plop a bunch of demons down into some old zones and let them run amok.

I mean, they DID do that, but they also put a shit ton of scripted events with the NPCs of the zones. Quest vendors and characters from the leveling experience have actually been coded to respond to the invasions, from the peasants and CSI Miami knockoffs in Westfall to Mankrik defending his wife's grave one-shotting demons in the Barrens. A handful of vendors will actually just give you a buff instead of the normal shop interface of low-level junk they sell. Even the treant your supposed to kill near the Ogrimmar Read Gate as part of the goblin leveling area can be saved from the Legion's attack and join the fight.

If you're not using the level 100 boost, the invasion event is a great booster. They recently hotfixed the stages to give a shit ton of XP for each stage completed.

FUN DETECTED! FUN MUST BE NERFED! XP REDUCED!  swamp poop

They upped the frequency and amount of invasions  so it still works out to be faster xp than before the nerf but you have to do more running around to get it. Still its raining loot up in here. I do love the zone specific voice overs for the invasion call outs they add a lot to it. Of all the pre launch event things this so far is much better than any of the others especially lol WOD omg an invasion came out and then was immediately stopped at the gate way.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 12:15:52 PM

Finished the new quest line today involving Dalaran, Karazhan, and Ulduar. Not bad for the story, but since they're handing out ilvl 700+ gear like candy from these invasion, an ilvl 685 set of gloves for finishing is a bit underwhelming. Still, progress.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 04:04:23 PM

I started playing again a month ago after being away for years. I still don't like what they did to Hunters which was my main since Vanilla, so I decided to level my DK Unholy to 100. It went pretty fast overall and the DK feels pretty good as Unholy. Frost seems like a wet noodle though.

I logged in today to see everyone in chat bitching about the new quest line today in Kharazan, how short it was. So I went through it and had a really good time. I think they did a good job telling a good, short story that took me back to many places I had visited in the past. I wish they would do more short weekly quests like this in the future. The entire intro event has been fun and I think I'm actually going to get back into WoW at least until the solo stuff wears off. I don't have the time to commit like I did in the past, so raiding is out. But I might make it a few months based on what I've seen so far.

They've had a few many missteps over the past few expansions, but this one seems good. I'm bummed they're going to dump the artifact weapons after this expansion, but it's not really surprising.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 04:35:31 PM

They may be dumping them after Legion, but it sounds like Legion's going to be around for a long time.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 04:36:34 PM

Stahp guys! I'm getting kind of bored with NMS and at the rate I keep hearing good shit about this I might cave and resub for the first time in years.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 04:39:38 PM

- on one quest i get a cooldown-free ability that i can spam to make my dancing ghost wolf form look like it is spewing endless dog vomit out in a continuous greasy stream of vom. never turning in quest, sorry besieged peasants

worth price of admission for sure
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:55 PM

Finished the new quest line today involving Dalaran, Karazhan, and Ulduar. Not bad for the story, but since they're handing out ilvl 700+ gear like candy from these invasion, an ilvl 685 set of gloves for finishing is a bit underwhelming. Still, progress.
Very odd.  What level were you when you  did those quests?  I have done the new set of stuff 3 times on 3 level 100 toons, got two pair of ilevel 700 gloves (blue), and one pair of 710 boosted gloves (epic).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 12:22:47 AM

You probably got lucky and scored some Warforged/Titanforged rolls. It can happen with any Legion loot going forward. For example, the helm you get for finishing the DH starting experience rerolled to epic (705) for me.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 01:16:12 AM

Some of my guildies (including a few who haven't played since WOTLK) have returned to check out the event. While I've been getting some positive impressions from some of them, there's also a lot of frustration about ganking... which seems to be out of control in invasions even more than regular leveling in old expansions (which can get pretty bad, e.g. Hyjal), especially if you're below level 100. The combination of CRZ and pvp server = faceless gankers killing you over and over, sometimes even by accident (thx auto-cleave / AOE abilities). Of course there's the option of just doing the two 'friendly' invasions and ignoring the other 4, but eh.

World pvp in WOW was always somewhat clownshoes, but the last time it was legit enjoyable was somewhere around mid-BC... it's been various shades of terrible / annoying since then, especially after CRZ, and this event is sort of highlighting it again. Honestly, at this point I kinda wish blizz gave a one-time option for people to transfer their characters from a pvp server to a pve server (even if they didn't get to choose which pve server to transfer to), but it's never going to happen obv.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: August 17, 2016, 04:47:31 AM

I haven't had a problem with PvP during the invasions. Unless you're on a PvP server and are auto-flagged, when I encounter someone that's PvP flagged, I cannot attack them due to system forbidding me from doing so unless I manually enable myself first. Which is an improvement over the system of old that would just let you attack flagged people if you wanted to. Even my AoE abilities don't hit them when I'm attacking demons.

So yeah, have your friends check their settings. Unless they're on a PvP server, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: /grammar  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:16:28 AM by luckton »

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 17, 2016, 05:09:48 AM

*they're

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 17, 2016, 05:43:21 AM

I haven't had a problem with PvP during the invasions. Unless you're on a PvP server and are auto-flagged, when I encounter someone that's PvP flagged, I cannot attack them due to system forbidding me from doing so unless I manually enable myself first. Which is an improvement over the system of old that would just let you attack flagged people if you wanted to. Even my AoE abilities don't hit them when I'm attacking demons.

So yeah, have your friends check their settings. Unless they're on a PvP server, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: /grammar  awesome, for real
Yah, we are all on a pvp server (Crushridge), that's why I had that spiel at the end about moving characters en-masse from pvp to pve servers. Been playing there since 2004 -- it's just that in vanilla/BC world pvp was actually somewhat enjoyable (small-medium pop server, so you didn't have roaming gank squads everywhere, ganking actually carried consequences and put you on KOS lists, etc), but it went to crap with CRZ and whatnot. And yea, abandoning old vanilla characters just to reroll on a new server and go 1-100 is not an option...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:45:34 AM by Zetor »

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 17, 2016, 10:45:55 AM

They should silently turn off world PvP altogether and bury a "we're looking into it" post deep in the forums somewhere for the three people who notice.

Resubbed to check out invasions and revisit my old characters. Resto Shaman is still Resto Shaman-y. Earth Shield was frankly pointless and I don't miss it. I do miss Wrath-era totems but those have been gone since Mists, apparently.

Bear is still most effectively played by button mashing, given a sufficiently sophisticated mashing technique. I might be able to fix that by crafting a Raven display that tells me which button to press, but what's the point? I'm also not sure about having to pay more attention to my past and future health than to my current health in order to make my cooldowns work - it could get better as I get used to it, but on top of threat, rage, and mangle procs it seems like a lot to keep track of.

Combat Outlaw is a fun style but random effects don't make me feel good. So I switched to Assassination, which plays exactly the same but with worse ranged damage and no active buffs. This is better, I told myself. I was lying though.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #62 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:05 AM

Chances I'm going to buy the xpac next week are now high. The last time I tanked was in the beginning of Panda land so I expect this to be a hilarious amount of failure.

EDIT: I looked it up, I have two level 90 toons, one warrior tank with 495 gear, and one melee shaman at 90 with 525 gear.

Since I get a lvl 100 boost is it worth using on one of them? How long does it take to get those last 10 levels roughly since we have a couple of weeks left.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:02:44 AM by Paelos »

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 17, 2016, 10:57:06 AM

Yah, we are all on a pvp server (Crushridge), that's why I had that spiel at the end about moving characters en-masse from pvp to pve servers. Been playing there since 2004 -- it's just that in vanilla/BC world pvp was actually somewhat enjoyable (small-medium pop server, so you didn't have roaming gank squads everywhere, ganking actually carried consequences and put you on KOS lists, etc), but it went to crap with CRZ and whatnot. And yea, abandoning old vanilla characters just to reroll on a new server and go 1-100 is not an option...

I stand corrected.

I also stand by my original reply: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lesion

Reply #64 on: August 17, 2016, 11:13:07 AM

Chances I'm going to buy the xpac next week are now high. The last time I tanked was in the beginning of Panda land so I expect this to be a hilarious amount of failure.

EDIT: I looked it up, I have two level 90 toons, one warrior tank with 495 gear, and one melee shaman at 90 with 525 gear.

Since I get a lvl 100 boost is it worth using on one of them? How long does it take to get those last 10 levels roughly since we have a couple of weeks left.
Yesterday I two-manned heroic UBRS on a demon hunter tank with a priest backup (who was mostly DPSing). It just keeps getting easier.

I would save the 100 boost unless you don't have much free time. Two weeks seems doable to hit 100 (maybe twice), especially if you have gold for upgraded heirlooms.

steam|a grue \[T]/
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 17, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

I believe you're given the chance to "try out" any class you want now prior to using your new boost so that you can get a feel for the class at the current max level. Try making a new character while you have a boost credit and look for the trial button.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: August 17, 2016, 12:43:44 PM

I'm guessing we'll have tons of demon hunters running about then early on.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 17, 2016, 02:40:43 PM

Probably.  They've been pretty fun to play so far.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 17, 2016, 03:21:41 PM

It was like that with DKs and Monks (although not as immediate since both of them didn't start off right at the max level of the previous expansion that they were introduced). They'll level out over time, and I suspect that those who want to play a complex class won't find much joy with DHs. They're pretty basic with their skill set. Unique, but basic.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 17, 2016, 10:11:35 PM

My experience so far is that is every class - it's dumbed down something rotten.

Not a bad thing, but I could playing a DH or a DK or a Warrior or a rogue and not nitice the difference.

Still fun, but I honestly miss all the signature abilities that made classes different, but I also saw the writing on the wall when they made tanking skills similar.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Legion Pre-Expansion Patch Hits - everything changes  
Jump to: