Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stranger Things 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 37239 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:06 PM

Loved Season 2. I also loved how Steve and his kids have become a meme along with HopperDancesTo on Twitter.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 13, 2017, 01:24:58 PM

This was good.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:42 AM

Wife and I finally finished Season 2. Late to the table, but I like to watch an episode and give it a few days before the next...

Wife loved it, I enjoyed it about the same as season 1. Scumbag Steve >> adventures in babysitting Steve was pretty great. Wife HATED Steve in Season 1 but really changed her tone in season 2 - of course that's probably because she had a new mullet scumbag to hate.

Noah Schnapp (Will) needs some kind of acting award because holy shit he was amazing, especially for a 13 year old kid.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #73 on: March 21, 2019, 09:14:44 PM

Season 3 trailer.

The girl who delivers the final line is the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #74 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:15 PM

Welp, guess we're turning the Netflix sub back on.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #75 on: July 07, 2019, 06:52:25 PM

Does the third season get any better after the first two episodes? It has spent roughly 90 minutes on shots of Waldenbooks and Sam Goody at the mall and about three minutes on plot.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 08, 2019, 10:56:13 AM

Yes.

It's pretty fucking awesome and accelerates a lot faster than most Netflix fodder.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #77 on: July 08, 2019, 01:12:19 PM

Good to hear, thanks for confirming. I was going to put it on the back burner but I’ll power through.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 08, 2019, 09:46:06 PM

I thought the first three episodes of season three where pretty slow but the rest of the season is pretty good.
schild
Administrator

Reply #79 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:47 PM

i just powered through season 2

it was trash and i'm not sure how it got a season 3 but here we are, on season 3
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:52 AM

Schild dislikes pop-culture phenomenon, news at 11.

Season 3 was awesome.  8 episodes that went by in a flash.  I actually wish they would spend MORE time on the slow boiling 80s nostalgia stuff.  That's much of the reason this show is popular in the first place.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 12:22:04 AM

Yeah....... I appreciate the nostalgia of the show, and how well they craft it.  But I didn't even like season 1 very much.  Setting and overall setup was great, but almost every character was terrible.  I hated all the kids (except 11).  I hated the mom.  I hated the teenagers.  The cop was cool. 

I just didn't like any of them, which made it hard to get through, despite everything else being well done.

I made it 2 episodes into season 2 before giving up and never looking at it since.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 06:27:48 AM

I have this thought literally every time he posts on pretty much any movie, tv show or video game. Lol

Season 3 was really good. I have some theories about Season 4 and where it might be going but we'll see. Spoilers for the end of the season mixed in with my thoughts on potential Season 4 stuff.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 08:40:29 AM

Yeah....... I appreciate the nostalgia of the show, and how well they craft it.  But I didn't even like season 1 very much.  Setting and overall setup was great, but almost every character was terrible.  I hated all the kids (except 11).  I hated the mom.  I hated the teenagers.  The cop was cool. 

I just didn't like any of them, which made it hard to get through, despite everything else being well done.

I made it 2 episodes into season 2 before giving up and never looking at it since.

Man, I just mentally reached out through my wifi connection and slapped you.

I can see not loving all the characters, but hate?  Lost me there.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 12:27:12 PM

You gotta be somewhat dead inside to hate Dustin, that kid is pure joy.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 12:46:20 PM

You can't know as much about pop culture as me and hate it. Anyway, Dippin dots were/are great even if storage is cost-ineffective. So, you just take that back.

My problem with stranger things isn't how embedded it is in pop culture. It's that most of the characters are crap, the writing is... mediocre at best. The story is a mess.

The teenagers, outside of Nancy, are largely intolerable. I'm with Teleku on this one. These are not good characters. They are unlikable and bad.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #86 on: July 09, 2019, 01:32:22 PM

I enjoyed Stranger Things but it's definitely "junk food" TV. You like it for the nostalgia and some of the effects but it's writing is good at best, mostly serviceable at worst.

And then there's S2 Ep7 which was just an unspeakable abomination of shit.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 09, 2019, 02:20:07 PM

I'm just annoyed no-one really helped Nancy's Mom.  All she wanted was to get ridden sideways.  What the hell.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 09, 2019, 02:43:04 PM

She really needed some D.

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 09, 2019, 10:47:55 PM

I'm just annoyed no-one really helped Nancy's Mom.  All she wanted was to get ridden sideways.  What the hell.

I feel like we're really on the same page on this whole topic.

Also, Dippin Dots were fucking strange.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #90 on: July 15, 2019, 07:48:09 AM

Finished binging this over the weekend, and I loved it more than season 2. It didn't have a dud episode like S2E7. The cast has probably gotten a little too big, but I thought they did a decent job of giving everyone something to do.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:45 AM

Haha, I had to go Google s2e7.  I do remember it being bad.  Or more appropriately, I don’t remember it being bad because I tuned it out both times I saw it.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 21, 2019, 04:27:49 PM

They could cut out Mike and Will and no one would notice. Dustin had a fantastic season. 'What the hell?!'

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: July 22, 2019, 02:08:52 AM

I stopped watching this a little way into s2 when it became too obvious that this isn't a mystery just shit happening one thing at a time with way too much portent, and the characters weren't going anywhere, they were just messing about pretending to be the goonies, but spooky. 

Did I stop too early?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 22, 2019, 06:59:59 AM

I stopped watching this a little way into s2 when it became too obvious that this isn't a mystery just shit happening one thing at a time with way too much portent, and the characters weren't going anywhere, they were just messing about pretending to be the goonies, but spooky. 

Did I stop too early?

If you weren't enjoying it there's no point to keep watching, it is what it is, it won't suddenly get a lot better.

I am the .00000001428%
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 22, 2019, 09:22:06 AM

Yeah, if you disliked s2 enough to stop watching, this series probably isn’t for you.  As much as I thought it was less good than s1, I still loved it.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #96 on: August 25, 2019, 06:49:58 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #97 on: June 03, 2022, 07:26:56 AM

Season 4 part 1 is out.  Part 2 releases July 1st.

This season is pretty good.  I mostly just necroed this thread to complain that LITE BRITES DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT, EACH PEG DOES NOT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL CURRENT GOING THROUGH IT.

That is all.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #98 on: June 03, 2022, 08:53:54 AM

Season 4 part 1 is out.  Part 2 releases July 1st.

This season is pretty good.  I mostly just necroed this thread to complain that LITE BRITES DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT, EACH PEG DOES NOT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL CURRENT GOING THROUGH IT.

That is all.

not sure if new ones work the same way or not but i'm pretty sure they make a retro version of the current one

but also I don't know what happens in the show, so
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #99 on: June 03, 2022, 09:26:53 AM

It's a minor thing.  There's a scene where a Lite Brite is used in a manner that's similar to the Christmas lights in the first season.

Which is dumb because the idea is that if you can affect electrical currents you can make a lightbulb flicker.  If you have a lot of lightbulbs, you can use the patterns to communicate.  But a Lite Brite isn't a lot of lightbulbs, it's one lightbulb that shines through a screen with a bunch of little plastic pegs in it.  It's like a projector.  If you mess with the electrical current, the whole thing will flicker at once, not the individual pegs.  If a ghost could bend the light in a Lite Brite to draw things on it, it could just as easily bend the light in the room and draw things in the air.

Anyway, WHATEVER.  It was an excuse to sell some Lite Brites, and I loved Lite Brite when I was a kid so I can respect that.  I can just pretend they knew Morse Code and that that whole scene never happened and the rest of the story works fine.

I was also annoyed by the way that gravity worked in the Upside Down gate.  They should have had to tie the rope off on both ends to keep it from being yanked through in one direction or another once there was weight on it.  Think with portals, bitches.  But again, whatever.  I can just pretend they did that.

Those nits aside, I wondered out loud "so wait, if every place and inanimate object in the real world is reflected in the Upside Down, what's the lag?  If I drop an object in the real world does it appear in the Upside Down as soon as it leaves my hand?" and then the show answered that question in a very satisfactory way about twenty minutes later, and I appreciated that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: June 03, 2022, 09:47:42 AM

I was also annoyed by the way that gravity worked in the Upside Down gate.  They should have had to tie the rope off on both ends to keep it from being yanked through in one direction or another once there was weight on it.  Think with portals, bitches.  But again, whatever.  I can just pretend they did that.

Those nits aside, I wondered out loud "so wait, if every place and inanimate object in the real world is reflected in the Upside Down, what's the lag?  If I drop an object in the real world does it appear in the Upside Down as soon as it leaves my hand?" and then the show answered that question in a very satisfactory way about twenty minutes later, and I appreciated that.

The gravity thing didn't bother me for some reason. It did slightly because I thought "won't the rope move if they tug on it if it's just gravity holding it?" but then I decided the portal itself must "grip" and I was fine with it. It actually explains a lot like why you have to push through the portals and such.

I also liked the explanation for the Upside Down's timeline but am curious why it froze at that specific point in time as it seems to have. There is an explanation that works for me but...

Of course it's also possible the Duffer Brothers picked that particular point in time purely because they liked the idea of it and without any in-universe explanation.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #101 on: June 03, 2022, 10:04:43 AM

I suspect we'll get the full explanation in the second half of the season.  My theory is that

re gravity (spoilering because literally nobody cares, not because it's a spoiler)

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: June 03, 2022, 11:24:39 AM

I suspect we'll get the full explanation in the second half of the season.  My theory is that

That is what I thought as well. But this doesn't work because:

As for the rope. I was surprised they didn't tie it off but I let it go. It reminded me a lot of the movie Poltergeist. Sure, in that movie originally the dad holds the other end of the rope but even when he lets go they still have to pull the mother and daughter out and they drop once they clear the portal. I think it didnt bother me too much because I just sort of mentally went "it's supernatural stuff, who knows how the hell it works..."

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #103 on: June 08, 2022, 09:38:58 PM

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: June 09, 2022, 01:35:04 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Stranger Things  
Jump to: