Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard finally implements an idea parents have used for centuries 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard finally implements an idea parents have used for centuries  (Read 8444 times)
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

on: July 12, 2016, 05:33:05 PM

The Silence Penalty.

Following the Legion pre-expansion, any player who is reported multiple times under the Spam or Abusive Chat categories will, after investigation, receive an account-wide silence penalty[...].

[...]The first time a player is silenced, their chat will be restricted for 24 hours. This duration will double for each silence penalty received after the first, and there is no maximum. This means that players who receive multiple silence penalties may find themselves unable to chat for a very, very long time.

Except that parents can't silence children (other than permanently, I suppose) - but they can and do double penalties, sometimes to great effect.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:03:38 PM

This is probably just another way to shoehorn a new "feature" into the expansion.   awesome, for real
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:46:49 PM

This isn't new. I got muted for 8 hours for swearing in general chat back in Vanilla.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:01:27 AM

She didn't mean the punishment type was new, but the implementation of doubling-down.

If you were squelched a second time in short-order it would be 16 hours. Under the old policy it would have been another 8.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 07:33:03 AM

Ahh, I see.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 11:09:59 AM

An excellent new tool for griefers.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:54 PM

An excellent new tool for griefers.
Only if you think people will be able to grief silence someone past a review board.   According to the article the silence penalty only kicks in after a "review", so unless people are able to bait you into something that would get you silenced, i doubt griefers would be able to effectively use it to grief someone.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:52:56 PM

I suppose it depends on what the review board consists of.

I can't imagine it'll be actual people reviewing most cases.  Blizzard still has millions of subscribers, right?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard finally implements an idea parents have used for centuries  
Jump to: