Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 90000 times)
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 21, 2016, 07:55:32 AM

Get the kids in the car (and the wife if she plays) and load this up prior to doing a neighborhood drive.

https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap

We scored a Snorlax doing this yesterday that there is NO WAY i would have found if we were walking. It seems that the creatures are added to the world and will despawn in like 15 minutes. So for those 3 footstep things you have to hoof it in the perfect direction to get there in time.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: July 21, 2016, 08:13:52 AM

It was more fun downtown.  I went from just over level 4 to level 8 in about an hour or so.

Back in the suburbs, I'd bet it'll be weeks before I get to 10.  Or I could go back downtown for an hour and probably hit 10.

I know right? The first day I was shown this right in the middle of town and had a sea of pokeman to gather up, but when I went home and excitedly tried to show this to my wife, well, sitting there for ten minutes going "there'll be one any minute, I know!" does not for an exciting presentation make.

Eventually I figured out to drop some incense, so it wasn't a complete flop.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #142 on: July 21, 2016, 08:37:42 AM

Don't go hunting Pokemon in minefields sounds like advice that shouldn't need to be given.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:36:08 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #143 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:13 AM

It was more fun downtown.  I went from just over level 4 to level 8 in about an hour or so.

Back in the suburbs, I'd bet it'll be weeks before I get to 10.  Or I could go back downtown for an hour and probably hit 10.

I know right? The first day I was shown this right in the middle of town and had a sea of pokeman to gather up, but when I went home and excitedly tried to show this to my wife, well, sitting there for ten minutes going "there'll be one any minute, I know!" does not for an exciting presentation make.

Eventually I figured out to drop some incense, so it wasn't a complete flop.

Universities are a treasure trove. Pretty much each building has a stop and a lot of the major ones are gyms. Pitt has the Carnegie museums and CMU right down the street so this entire area is full of stuff. Hell even my apt near the zoo is pretty active all the time. I feel for the burbs and rural people.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #144 on: July 21, 2016, 11:29:36 AM

the only way to get candies is by catching more pokémon of the same type, so if I do manage to ever catch something rare, it's going to sit on my bench picking it's nose while my army of powered up rats wrecks faces.

Yeah, that's a pretty big flaw IMO and it's not like it's at all a difficult problem to solve since it'd be easy to translate better progression systems from other games into this one.  I think the help text in game even suggests that you can level up your pokemans by training them at gyms, which would make complete sense, but that's completely false as far as I can tell.  Personally I'd like to see something analogous to the incubator where you can pick one "favorite" pokemon and have it slowly level up as you walk -- the map could show it running along next to you, it'd be cute as fuck.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 21, 2016, 03:29:17 PM

There's even precedent for it - I believe Gold/Silver had a pokewalker that you could load a pokemon onto, and then walk around and level it that way.  Each step = 1 xp, I think.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:29 PM

There's even precedent for it - I believe Gold/Silver had a pokewalker that you could load a pokemon onto, and then walk around and level it that way.  Each step = 1 xp, I think.
It was HeartGold and SoulSilver, the remakes of the Gen II games for DS.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: July 21, 2016, 03:59:57 PM

Yeah, those.  I always refer to them as Gold/Silver.

Probably my favorite version of pokemon games.  Although I have a soft spot for Yellow.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #148 on: July 21, 2016, 05:23:44 PM

Took kids to a national park today, was a freaking BLAST. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: July 21, 2016, 06:04:12 PM

It's amazing that they haven't even addressed the "three track" thing--that's a specific thing that they could either confirm, disconfirm, or say "we're investigating". Nothing.

Another little tip I wish I'd know about: if you don't want a charmander, squirtle or bulbasaur to start, just refuse to catch the one that appears. Walk away. You'll get a pikachu instead.

Also: with pidgies, just get as many as you can and then evolve all of them into the middle-stage pidgeon Pokemon after doing a lucky egg. It's only 12 candies. Don't do the 50-candy evolution.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:05:51 PM by Khaldun »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 21, 2016, 06:08:21 PM

Yes by the way on universities and colleges, even in rural areas. Because a lot of students played Ingress, so there's usually a metric asston of pokestops.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #151 on: July 22, 2016, 07:03:28 AM

My kids hate me.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 22, 2016, 07:57:29 AM

Nice collection of gym mons. I'm getting there... slowly. Hunting the dreaded hp-sink Snorlax currently. Highest Vaporeon is 1700. Rest is just trash.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #153 on: July 22, 2016, 08:54:44 AM

BTW, found one vape...then hatched a 10k egg ...was an Eevee. I was sad. I said, screw it, I'll make him a vape too! No luck on the Snorlax's. I was DE'ing my Krabbys last night and accidently evolved a 30 CP one. DOH!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #154 on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:07 AM

I like that I'm not the only person who thinks of processing Pokemon into candy as "DEing" them.

There's a great cartoon running around in a similar theme using Rick and Morty. I'll see if I can find it.

Ed: Oh hey.. bad dubbing on top of the image:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4bRUYuMrQ

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #155 on: July 23, 2016, 06:14:31 AM

I was walking around Hermon park in Houston last night.

It's like a scene from Black Mirror out there. Dark outside and everyone roaming in packs staring at their phones.  You can almost hear the native digilife through the passing speakers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #156 on: July 23, 2016, 10:40:28 AM

Out of all the fads I've missed, this will go down as the one I'm most glad to have missed.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: July 23, 2016, 12:46:39 PM

Cheer up, there will be more you will get to miss before you die.

I got a pretty good Snorlax out of my 10k egg. About 1350 CP and some room to power him up.

I do wish that maybe 1 in 20 encounters in my area was something a bit out of the ordinary. Or even 1 in 50. At level 19 I'm still getting about 90% pidgies, zubats, rattatas, spearows, even when I go into downtown. I see clefairies, bellsprouts, nidorans and an eevee now and again, but I don't think I've seen anything genuinely new this entire week except through eggs.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #158 on: July 25, 2016, 11:47:05 AM

It's kinda neat that going to a different area gives you an entirely different ecology.  Most of SF is full of zubats, but Crissy Field is full of bulbasaurs, Mt Tam has a lot of eevees, and of course anywhere by the water is great for magikarps.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #159 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:09 AM

lol@nintendo's stock

lol@the money not understanding gaming

lol@everyone
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:21 AM

That happened faster than I thought it was going to,  honestly.  I assumed it would have happened after their next earnings call when it came out that they weren't pulling in billions from a game they didn't make.
schild
Administrator

Reply #161 on: July 25, 2016, 11:52:23 AM

I was surprised when it went up even a single % to begin with.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #162 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:24 AM

Nintendo released a statement on Friday telling people their forecast in April already took into account their expected revenue from Pokémon GO for their fiscal year (ending March 2017), and that basically their current revenues from GO have not caused them to revise that forecast (i.e. those revenues are in-line with expectations).

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160722e.pdf

Edit: line break
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:11:58 PM by Trippy »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #163 on: August 06, 2016, 11:51:59 AM

I dont understand how gyms work.  I'm a low level, so why would I bother going to a gym when they are inhabited by a much higher trainers/mons?  I'm going to lose, so... why go?

Is the only way to level just by collecting & evolving?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 06, 2016, 11:58:07 AM

You get experience for every enemy pokemon you knock out, and given that you can use six pokemon in a row each time you attack a gym there's opportunities for even fairly low-level players to kock off the lower rungs of a gym.

That said, the gym fight mechanics are entirely static and pretty dull after you've done them a couple of times. It's arguably worse than ingress since you can't do much to actively defend gyms, and if you're in a city they flip so quickly that it's hard to see any value from holding them. Perhaps if you're one of the 1% and have godlike pokemon, but then that's just another example of the game rewarding the rich for being richer.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #165 on: August 06, 2016, 12:00:34 PM

So, I line up 6 of my lowbie pokemons and hope I win?  5 lose and last may win?  Most likely I'm going to lose on all, which is fine, but it doesn't make me want to try again.  Game is not that compelling.  It seems bizarre since I don't get how new players advance.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 06, 2016, 12:58:07 PM

If you're that far outclassed, there's no point. But if you have a couple 400s and it's defended by someone about 600 you can prolly knock it out. Use types to your advantage too.

The point to holding Gyms is you can get coins without paying real money.

All that said, I'm kind of over the game.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: August 06, 2016, 07:09:40 PM

Pretty much. Niantic doesn't seem to have any idea of how to manage it, either. The gyms around us are either perpetual level 2/3 with lower-level pokemon that people knock over four or five times a day or they're level 8 monstrosities packed with 2000 CP Gyardos, Snorlax and Dragonites that pretty much don't change hands at all now.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #168 on: August 06, 2016, 08:31:36 PM

The gyms around us are either perpetual level 2/3 with lower-level pokemon that people knock over four or five times a day or they're level 8 monstrosities packed with 2000 CP Gyardos, Snorlax and Dragonites that pretty much don't change hands at all now.
Same as Ingress.
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 07, 2016, 06:22:22 AM

Gyms are pointless and they removed tracking pokemon from the app and fucked over 3rd party sites that mapped pokemon in your area, all for the sake of server stability.

In other words, can't hunt pokemon and can't battle with any sort of salient result, along with no 1v1 challenges and no trading. I assume this was all just a big test to see how fast a game can lose players. Sadly, people in high activity areas will keep moving the participation needle.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: August 09, 2016, 09:30:14 PM

Looks like the Eevee naming trick doesn't work anymore, or perhaps I am just bad at spelling.  Also looks like they adjusted the bonus on Eevee evolutions (downward).

The miss chance for level 15+ captures is real and massively frustrating.  Add that to living in a 'rural' area (closest pokestop or gym is 2 miles away) and even the collect part of collect them all becomes annoying.  Wife can't even play for the poor connectivity in the area (game doesn't handle intermittent network connectivity well at all, surprise).  If I lose another 10 balls on a 50cp zulbat...  I'm routinely out of balls and waiting around until I can find an excuse to head into a more densely populated area's parks to reload.  That runs right into the rural vs. urban problem, the early vs. late adopter challenge also exists; but one consequence of being in a rural area is that I can sometimes take over the local gym or drop a pokemon there for the meager allotment of free coins.  Late adopters will always have the opportunity to travel to an unappealing location to participate in the game, yay?

Meh.  This developer doesn't understand that the customer defines your market, you can see it in their response to the mapping apps.  Rather than take a hard look at the tedious aspect of the game your players are automating their way out of just pronounce that they are playing it wrong and go to war with them.  That doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

Pokemon Go still excites for the 'next generation' AR game, but this first month of release is supporting the adage that it is better to be lucky than good. 
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 10, 2016, 06:20:06 AM

Dunno if this was posted before, but this is Police Heli footage of police tracking a car driving suspiciosly that turned out to be a guy hunting pokis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlAsCBP0GkU

If you want fast forward to the last minute as it ends with one of the best, most deadpan sarcastic comments I've ever heard.

Hic sunt dracones.
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 10, 2016, 07:24:33 AM

Looks like the Eevee naming trick doesn't work anymore, or perhaps I am just bad at spelling.  Also looks like they adjusted the bonus on Eevee evolutions (downward).

The miss chance for level 15+ captures is real and massively frustrating.  Add that to living in a 'rural' area (closest pokestop or gym is 2 miles away) and even the collect part of collect them all becomes annoying.  Wife can't even play for the poor connectivity in the area (game doesn't handle intermittent network connectivity well at all, surprise).  If I lose another 10 balls on a 50cp zulbat...  I'm routinely out of balls and waiting around until I can find an excuse to head into a more densely populated area's parks to reload.  That runs right into the rural vs. urban problem, the early vs. late adopter challenge also exists; but one consequence of being in a rural area is that I can sometimes take over the local gym or drop a pokemon there for the meager allotment of free coins.  Late adopters will always have the opportunity to travel to an unappealing location to participate in the game, yay?

Meh.  This developer doesn't understand that the customer defines your market, you can see it in their response to the mapping apps.  Rather than take a hard look at the tedious aspect of the game your players are automating their way out of just pronounce that they are playing it wrong and go to war with them.  That doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

Pokemon Go still excites for the 'next generation' AR game, but this first month of release is supporting the adage that it is better to be lucky than good. 

Eevee naming trick only works the first time you do each evolution. After that, it's RNG. New tracker looks promising, but doesn't address the underlying issues of populating other areas... in addition to a greater variety of mons.

That new speed verification thing is just fuck stupid. I see their intent, but it needs to really be tuned better. My friend that bikes is constantly getting this and she is not some insane bicycle fanatic...just a casual beach cruiser type. Same with a buddy that runs. This thing is also fucking with my GPS now where it was smooth as silk prior. Now I get a dead avatar that doesn't move, then the GPS lost message, then my avatar goes full bore to catch up to where I actually am, then I get this retarded popup that I have to clear. Not so much gamebreaking, but annoyances tend to build into that if they are frequent enough.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #173 on: August 10, 2016, 08:51:17 AM

So basically they're like most other MMO developers.   awesome, for real

I'd fucking love for someone who knew how to make a game to make something with some of these core concepts.  Just a basic foozle-whacker that's driven by GPS so you have to walk around to find the ten rats and collect their tails.  This game manages to be fairly compelling even with its fuckstupid loot/advancement system; put a basic Diku clone on there instead and it'd be massively addictive.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: August 10, 2016, 02:46:18 PM

So basically they're like most other MMO developers.   awesome, for real

I'd fucking love for someone who knew how to make a game to make something with some of these core concepts.  Just a basic foozle-whacker that's driven by GPS so you have to walk around to find the ten rats and collect their tails.  This game manages to be fairly compelling even with its fuckstupid loot/advancement system; put a basic Diku clone on there instead and it'd be massively addictive.

Thought the Meridian 59 guy was running the cutter over at Niantic... so exactly!

I have a GPS watch and between dodgy GPS in Pokemon Go and spotty cell coverage I get 'credit' for about a quarter of the distance I travel - makes eggs an exercise in frustration.  Just allowing users to link a higher quality data source for position would go a long way to help out.  The "You are going too fast" pop up comes out all the time in the woods (GPS signals bouncing off trees) and in poor connection areas.  Sometimes you do get to interact with pokestops that are miles away before it figures it out though.  They've got some bad assumptions about client spatial discontinuities and the availability of network... the kind of things you fall into if you never leave your major american tech city before releasing a product to the world.

I'm really tempted to hack together a Laughing Man overlay for my camera now, just for shits and grins.  Today's AR 'polish' kinda fits with an early 90s vision of a post-war future.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO  
Jump to: