Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO  (Read 90014 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 08:19:32 AM

Apparently the library is a pokestop, not a gym. They made the art&community center a gym...but it's not open to the public. Bah.

I think they got it backwards, as art galleries are supposed to be stops and libraries are supposed to by gyms.

I find all this moronic and am laughing that this is what I'm dealing with this morning at work.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 08:39:37 AM

Should move this to MMO games.

I saw no less than 3 dozen groups out playing yesterday. I had to be designated driver and drive my wife / kids around as they caught them all.

Looking back this game is going to be a big deal.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:37 AM

Well, catch 'em all and stuff.  Despite what Khaldun says - and he may well end up being right anyway - that has always what has made Pokemon popular.  Collecting the stupid things.  It is so fundamental to the Pokemon experience that they literally made and sold the same fucking game over and over and over and over again, just by adding new Pokemon to collect.  This sounds kinda genius to me, but we'll see.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 09:34:04 AM

It's a bit unpredictable, but you generally don't have to go inside structures to interact with a gym or a pokestop.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:15 AM

Work would be a gold mine if the cell phone reception was anywhere near decent.  The labs combined with the old fab construction of these buildings is awful.

The gaggle of millennials from upstairs and the call center folk are roving in packs cursing the reception as they go along.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 12:44:06 PM

So the building I work in on campus has 3 stops all around it and a gym in the front lobby. Luckily, there is a bathroom directly under the statue the gym is posted on - bonus I get wifi in there as well. I see myself having a lot of big early lunches in the coming weeks.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 03:09:34 PM

The closest gym is about two blocks, but I can hit three stops without leaving my office chair  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Which is countered by the fact I live in the country and there are absolutely zero pokemon there.

I found a group of high school kids cruising around in a golf cart; apparently it moves slow enough to hatch eggs while being fast enough to easily get to masses of pokemon.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 05:29:16 PM

This game is not for me... I live out in the boonies somewhat and walking around staring at my phone doesn't seem that fun.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 07:15:58 PM

Be careful if you play this as the app can access a lot of stuff on your phone without you knwoing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1434/view/news/read/40525/Pokemon-Go-Full-Access-Granted-to-Personal-Google-Accounts.html
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:32 PM

So, I am trying this out (er, mostly to see if it is something my kids might like?), but I don't get it.  I can get to a Pokestop from my office, but hell if I know what to do with it.  I have also so far encountered zero roaming Pokemon. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:09 PM

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:49 AM

Tried playing this and it seems like a large chunk of the game play is having to restart the app and hoping whatever you just spotted/caught isn't gone.  angry

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 09:24:10 AM

Tried playing this and it seems like a large chunk of the game play is having to restart the app and hoping whatever you just spotted/caught isn't gone.  angry

Yeah that was huge on the hit list of yesterday's server issues. Seemed that the server was not returning the result of the encounter to the user.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: July 12, 2016, 09:25:47 AM

It really really is. The other part is playing while someone else is driving and cackling about what you're catching to them. Or so it seems from my wife and kids.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 09:33:56 AM

It really really is. The other part is playing while someone else is driving and cackling about what you're catching to them. Or so it seems from my wife and kids.

I play on the bus and I am actually playing a new meta: timing of your GPS pings according to the bus starting and stopping. My avatar will be in one spot just out of range and the bus will start pulling away towards it, but by the time my GPS pings, my avatar shoots right past the stop I was aiming for. Frustrating at first, now pretty much the norm.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:18 PM

Front door is a stop, just like in Ingress.  There is a gym across the street.  I wonder how long before we hear about the data breach?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 01:32:19 PM

Front door is a stop, just like in Ingress.  There is a gym across the street.  I wonder how long before we hear about the data breach?
Considering the app gives full access to a google account, probably already happened. What a massive treasure trove of information.

Still not a game. Everyone is sheep.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 02:43:51 PM

Can you troll someone by making their house\job a stop? Could be fun

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 03:30:47 PM

Considering the app gives full access to a google account, probably already happened. What a massive treasure trove of information.

Still not a game. Everyone is sheep.

Niantic is a spinoff of Google. Datamining their users is what they know.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 12, 2016, 04:09:36 PM

Buggy, battery draining, pay to win, mechanics that aren't exactly game-y, and a requirement to be in a medium to high population area.

That's my overall impression.

Uninstalled.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 12, 2016, 04:31:46 PM

It once again suggests to me that the first person who makes a genuinely fun augmented reality game is going to make money hats bigger than Bolivia, but so far nobody seems interested in stepping up to the plate.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 12, 2016, 04:38:59 PM

By all rights, this should have been that game.

It just isn't fun.

Maybe they'll add the fun down the road.

I do know that my children went from hyper-excited about this to can't be bothered.  At least the younger two.  The eldest had to buy a new phone to play (apparently it won't work with phones running on Intel Atom or somesuch.)  Maybe she'll have fun with it.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: July 12, 2016, 09:14:39 PM

I just took over a gym with my 10 year old. That's pretty fun.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 12, 2016, 10:35:26 PM

My 14 year-old apparently spent most of the day yesterday walking around our relatively small little town collecting Pokemon visiting the various stops.  He was literally sore when he got home around dinner time from all the walking he did.  I don't know if this thing will have any longevity, but that alone blew my mind a little.  Meanwhile, I sit here on the 15th floor of our office building and simply wait for the Pokestop right outside to cooldown...I don't even have to move to get to it =)

Even as barebones as this thing is, it's going gangbusters.  It doesn't take much imagination to see how the addition of some simple social functions (and maybe a bit more "game") would make this thing into the biggest thing ever, or something.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 13, 2016, 01:34:10 AM

Kid nearly ran out in to the road in the dark near my work yesterday, staring at his phone.

I think it will wear off quick unless they do some significant changes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 05:13:10 AM

They're talking about adding trading between users but I am sure that makes them very nervous, so it won't happen any time soon. I think by September, the app will be gathering dust for most players, because the local gyms will be owned nearly constantly by the same catasses that controlled points in Shadow Cities and Ingress. The one down the street from us already has a 1525 CP Flareon sitting on top of it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 07:09:44 AM

Catasses and whales who've spent crazy dollars control everything with no hope of challenging them here, too.

So far the fun is in walking around with the son and catching new things. Once we get to only ultra-rares and see only Ratacate/ Pidgey/ Wheedle every place interest will be gone.

Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 13, 2016, 07:16:48 AM

I dunno... it is not difficult to battle at the poopsock pokestops. Just choose pokemon that are a stronger element and see how far you get up the gym. Even if you only manage to take out the first one, you still dent the gym's prestige. Repeat and you can clear it. Just have to revive and heal up after each loss. It also serves to exhaust your items so you can collect more at stops.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 09:11:08 AM

I'm holding out until they make this for my flip phone.   why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 10:14:45 AM

How long before people see the treadmill and the fad wears off?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:16 AM

I'm betting about a month for casual players to get bored, at least a year for the poopsockers.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 10:31:28 AM

People in general haven't gotten tired of Pokemon mainline.  The truth is out there.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 11:00:28 AM

Watching the FB feed of people around my age who just don't "Get" games and continue to see them as "only for kids" has been an amazing reminder of just how old and out-of-touch you are by age 40. So many angry, confused, and judgmental people whining "I don't get it" or "why the hell are all these people walking around my neighborhood."

More depressing is you think it's more normal for people NOT to be walking around your suburban neighborhood.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 11:06:17 AM

Yup. It is one of those clarifying moments where you realize what insane control freaks people are--especially middle-class professionals. "People are doing a thing I don't do that I don't think I like, not that I know anything about it really, and I want them to stop!"
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:34 AM

I'm just going to go with it. Gets me and my GF out walking parts of town instead of sitting around the house. If it lasts a month or two, then I'll get a month or two out of it. Free entertainment and motivation to walk around places I would only drive by.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Pokemon GO  
Jump to: