Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Day 5 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day 5  (Read 2474 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

on: June 23, 2016, 11:12:41 AM

Okay, it's a web series, but we don't have a web series subforum.

I had very low expectations sitting down to watch this one, which probably helped a lot when it turned out to be passable, and depending on future installments might even be damned good.

Premise: Post apocalyptic "horror." The horror is in quotes because every character by necessity is tweaked to the gills on speed, which rather strongly affects their reaction to the frightening things going on around them. You see, if you sleep you die. That's it really -- suddenly, for so far unknown cause, anyone falling asleep just dies.

It says something for the genre that I find the actions of all the principle characters (and all the minor ones, now I think about it) far more reasonable and relate-able than, say, Fear the Walking Dead.

Anyway, it's from Roosterteeth, the first one is available for free on YouTube, you gotta subscribe (or work some other internet magic) if you want to watch the rest, which will be airing weekly (how quaintly old school!).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:55:44 PM

The premise is cool. Though I have to say that it would make me not want to fight dying, whereas I feel like I would fight to avoid dying to zombies or fallout etc.--the sustainability of not-sleeping is something we all feel with great physical intensity. Means they have to switch up the premise at some point.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:31:41 PM

Yeah, fuck it. I need a nap, bro.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:48 AM

The premise is cool. Though I have to say that it would make me not want to fight dying, whereas I feel like I would fight to avoid dying to zombies or fallout etc.--the sustainability of not-sleeping is something we all feel with great physical intensity. Means they have to switch up the premise at some point.

Yup basically if sleeping kills you no amount of speed is going to keep you alive. At that point you are just putting off death and after about 4 days without sleep you are going to be seeing enough crazy hallucinations that death probably will be welcome.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:12:04 AM

You guys are just old. Live it up a little and pull an all nighter once in a while!

awesome, for real

I kid. I'm getting on up there too, but for whatever reason I don't sleep all that much, and when younger going a few days with no real rest was a thing.

I *think* the show is only meant to be a six show miniseries, so we're not looking at Walking Dead level of lingering on here..

Yup basically if sleeping kills you no amount of speed is going to keep you alive. At that point you are just putting off death and after about 4 days without sleep you are going to be seeing enough crazy hallucinations that death probably will be welcome.

The writers seem to understand this, even if all the characters don't -- any character in the show presented with an actual medical background is pretty clear about how bleak things are going to get real fast. However, sleep studies have shown that many can go over four days without the hallucinations getting *too* bad, but yeah, the clock is ticking. And dancing and singing too, after five days.

I actually know a guy with a pretty bad sleep disorder, professionally diagnosed and "treated" and everything. He would sometimes just stop sleeping, and watching his rapid slid into psychosis was always entertaining (note: it wasn't actually entertaining). After his friends finally figured out what the problem was they learned to watch out for his downward slide and drag him to the hospital where he'd get loaded up with tranqs and put to bed for a day.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:54:16 AM by Mandella »
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 06:15:14 PM

You guys are just old. Live it up a little and pull an all nighter once in a while!

awesome, for real

I kid. I'm getting on up there too, but for whatever reason I don't sleep all that much, and when younger going a few days with no real rest was a thing.

I *think* the show is only meant to be a six show miniseries, so we're not looking at Walking Dead level of lingering on here..

The writers seem to understand this, even if all the characters don't -- any character in the show presented with an actual medical background is pretty clear about how bleak things are going to get real fast. However, sleep studies have shown that many can go over four days without the hallucinations getting *too* bad, but yeah, the clock is ticking. And dancing and singing too, after five days.

I actually know a guy with a pretty bad sleep disorder, professionally diagnosed and "treated" and everything. He would sometimes just stop sleeping, and watching his rapid slid into psychosis was always entertaining (note: it wasn't actually entertaining). After his friends finally figured out what the problem was they learned to watch out for his downward slid and drag him to the hospital where he'd get loaded up with tranqs and put to bed for a day.

I did this one time when driving to mexico from the upper midwest. By about Day three of no sleep I was literally seeing shit that was not happening and what I was seeing felt totally disconected to time and I was reacting to things at really weird delays. If I had to look forward to that for the rest of my life I would find a nice comfy spot and call it a life.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:01 PM

On the way back from a ridiculously long boat raid, my buddy saw palm trees, and I saw troop columns. At sea. Weird to know that what you were seeing wasn't there.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 08:18:10 PM

There is, in fact, one funny exchange between characters:

"Am I still hallucinating?" says one.

"How the hell would I know?" says another.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:46 PM

After 30 hours with no sleep, I start getting paranoid and irritable. After 60, I start seeing things/people that aren't there. By 80-90 hours, they're talking to me, around 100 I'm arguing with them. Haven't pushed past that, I suspect that the voices would start outvoting me sometime during Day 5.

Of course, I also have to catch up on that lost sleep. The two times I made it to 100 hours, I slept for 24 hours straight. Didn't feel right for a week afterwards, like I was getting over a bad flu or a serious hospital grade injury.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:59:30 PM

I enjoy drinking too much. While I've lasted almost a week with no sleep, that was when I was young and stupid. Present day me would be dead by day two.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 12:54:20 AM

When I go into knight owl mode I sometimes stay awake all day to try and correct myself. By 6pm I am a basket case. Well, even more of one.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'd never make it to day 2 these days.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:46 AM

I e never had the drive or obsession to stay awake like that. Even in school where classmates were at two or three days without sleep. I know I'm expending more energy staying awake than working and the results are shit I have to redo when rested. After 16-20 hours up I just go to sleep.

I am, however, blessed with only needing 5 or 6 hours of regular sleep unlike most. I really want to get tested and see if I have that mutation or not.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:56 PM

I want your superpower.

Hic sunt dracones.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 07:40:00 PM

Back in my early 30s when I worked foreign exchange, I existed on about two or three hours of sleep a night during the work week.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:29:39 AM

First episode was pretty good but not good enough to make me want to sign up for an entirely new streaming video service.  Three is apparently my limit.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Day 5  
Jump to: