Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Vacation Ideas 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vacation Ideas  (Read 9526 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 10:46:08 PM

Have you considered a ride on the rails south along the coast with a flight back at the end?

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2016, 11:41:08 AM

I thought about a rail trip, but I like the idea of being a little more in control of exact destinations. I'm thinking that the Oregon drive is going to fit my need at this point. Might see if I can squeeze an extra day or two, to reduce the urge to be constantly driving.

Now the question is, can I get away with looking for lodging on the way, or do I have to itinerary this.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #37 on: June 18, 2016, 12:04:06 PM

You'd be better off planning ahead, but if you wanted to wing it I doubt you'd get stuck anywhere without a room.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 18, 2016, 01:34:38 PM

Really depends on how picky about place. Like, you might not be able to stay in that great affordable mid-range hotel right on an Oregon beach, but there's always a room in a Holiday Inn Express back a ways from the coast off a highway, etc.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 09:47:13 AM

If you were pulling a trailer and wanted to camp in the parks you would probably be out of luck. Or staying at one of the lodges. Hotels should be fine along the route unless you get somewhere really remote. Southeastern Oregon is pretty sparse but the scenery is pretty amazing. There are a few hot springs out in the boonies like Steens Mountain as well if that is something you like. But if you end up out in the part of the state in August make sure your air conditioning works because it gets pretty hot.

My recommendation would be to go from Crater lake through central Oregon up through Bend north to Biggs Junction then east to Walla Walla (spend the night there). Head north towards a small town called Starbuck visit Palouse Falls (amazing waterfall in the middle of some extremely dry area). Head north to I90 then west and from there take your choice of ways to head north and take the North Cascades Highway which should be open depending on when you are going in August. You can stay in Chelan or Wenatchee if you need a break. Great scenery amazing drive easily done in 2-3 days. Also pretty cheap other than Gas.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 06:11:58 AM

Yeah, I've done the Vegas thing. Other than getting shot. Can't imaging being there in August.

Thinking most likely I'll try doing the Oregon coast and Crater Lake, as I've never seen either. Lots of photography options, small towns - which I like.

Yellowstone National Park

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #41 on: June 20, 2016, 07:02:59 AM

Just don't walk on the platforms.

Too soon?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 20, 2016, 10:07:46 AM

Just don't walk on the platforms.

Too soon?

FIFY. Stay on the goddamn platforms/boardwalks/paths.

- Viin
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 02:27:46 PM

Oh I thought he fell off. He was willfully off of it? For fuck's sake.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 02:52:00 PM

Oh I thought he fell off. He was willfully off of it? For fuck's sake.

It's sad he was able to walk so far before he died. The footprints he left will attract more people to do the same, further trashing the area.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Vacation Ideas  
Jump to: