Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:20:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doc Savage starring The Rock 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doc Savage starring The Rock  (Read 2179 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: May 30, 2016, 07:42:18 PM

Doc Savage, written by Shane Black will star the Rock as the titular character.

I don't even know that much about the character other than I love pulp heroes and the Rock makes even shitty movies better (or less shitty).

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:14:19 PM

Shane Black. Pretty much sold right there.

If you need a reason, watch Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. 

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:32:43 AM

Or, you know, the currently in theaters The Nice Guys which is a great movie.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 11:29:07 AM

Doc Savage could work really well if it's done in a knowing pulp style. The basic gimmick is that Doc Savage himself is Batman without the grimdark: a perfect human being who gets that way through intensive physical exercise, intensive mental discipline, etc.--or maybe he's Batman + Reed Richards, since he's a genius scientist who makes world-changing inventions. One of the fun things about Savage is that he's a completely public character (though he has a few secrets, chief among them access to an unlimited supply of gold) who is broadly trusted by the governments of the world. He also has a great cast of sidekicks--a bunch of guys who are the 'world's best' in one specialized area (law, radio/computing, etc.). They almost remind me of a Bioware game's supporting cast--lots of complicated interrelationships, some bickering, exaggerated personalities.

I think you could poke around at the darker undercurrents in Savage, though they weren't commonly seen as such when he was invented. (He experimented on the brains of criminals, for example).

There's an old fairly bad campy version of the property starring Ron Ely that has a few decent moments in it.

Makes me wish someone could rescue The Shadow from intellectual property hell and do a good version alongside this film--they are characters who go really well together.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:34:12 AM

If you took Shane Black out of this equation I'd be laughing this movie off as a horrible idea.  I wasn't a huge fan of Iron Man III, but Black's take on Savage with the Rock as the star.... this intrigues me.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 12:25:15 PM

Doc Savage could work really well if it's done in a knowing pulp style. The basic gimmick is that Doc Savage himself is Batman without the grimdark: a perfect human being who gets that way through intensive physical exercise, intensive mental discipline, etc.--or maybe he's Batman + Reed Richards, since he's a genius scientist who makes world-changing inventions. One of the fun things about Savage is that he's a completely public character (though he has a few secrets, chief among them access to an unlimited supply of gold) who is broadly trusted by the governments of the world. He also has a great cast of sidekicks--a bunch of guys who are the 'world's best' in one specialized area (law, radio/computing, etc.). They almost remind me of a Bioware game's supporting cast--lots of complicated interrelationships, some bickering, exaggerated personalities.

I think you could poke around at the darker undercurrents in Savage, though they weren't commonly seen as such when he was invented. (He experimented on the brains of criminals, for example).

There's an old fairly bad campy version of the property starring Ron Ely that has a few decent moments in it.

Makes me wish someone could rescue The Shadow from intellectual property hell and do a good version alongside this film--they are characters who go really well together.

This is sounding like a fast and furious without the cars.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 05:22:01 PM

It kind of could be, honestly. That could be bad or good, depending on how it's done.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 05:26:29 PM

This pretty much sums up the Ely film, btw. Good and bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJpsz2ZdP8I
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 06:20:22 PM

I too have fear when the green wigglies come after me.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:30 AM

Is it actually called "Doc Savage starring The Rock" because if not it should be.

I also have no idea who Doc Savage is but will watch this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:11 AM

Is it even worth mentioning that The Rock is featured in this? Apparently he's slated to be in 15 movies in the next 5 years so that should be the default assumption. :D

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Doc Savage starring The Rock  
Jump to: