Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Doom 2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doom 2016  (Read 7100 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

on: May 15, 2016, 06:49:12 PM

Has anyone else been playing the new Doom?  I'm only a few hours into the SP campaign but so far I'm really enjoying it.  Haven't played the MP yet so I can't comment on that.  I liked Doom 3 but I felt most of the tension came from monsters jumping out at you from the dark.  You can see almost all of them coming for you and the environments don't feel as closed in.  Using a melee attack to kick the shit out of demons to release health regens never gets old and you literally start shooting stuff less than 10 seconds in.  It is linear in progression but the maps are fairly open so you don't feel it as much.  Overall so far so good and it looks fantastic.  It's been worth the $40CND I paid for it on one of those shady key seller sites, where the codes I received where scanned copies of a paper print out. awesome, for real  I bought Battleborn from the same place for the same price and I'm kind of regretting that one already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVfOqzz4RM

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:00:00 PM

I've been reading lots of good things about the single player campaign.  I definitely plan on picking it up at some point.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:09:05 PM

I've been hearing nothing but good stuff, but this has all the hallmarks of pick up when it's 75% off on steam sale to me. I'm waiting on this one.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

I've been hearing nothing but good stuff, but this has all the hallmarks of pick up when it's 75% off on steam sale to me. I'm waiting on this one.

I got it for 50% off at the shady key site. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:08:29 PM

The MP, on the other hand, looks disappointing which is why I waiting for a sale before purchasing.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 08:26:23 PM

GOD DAMMIT DEVELOPERS STOP NAMING YOUR FUCKING REBOOTS WITH THE EXACT SAME FUCKING TITLE AS THE FUCKING GAME THEY'RE FUCKING REBOOTING AAAAAAAAAAGHWERQQLKGAJF4@#$#($^U
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:46:13 PM

Is there a particular shady key site worth going to?

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 11:52:56 PM

Is there a particular shady key site worth going to?

I got it the same place I got Mad Max and had no problems.  I'm making no promises, though.  You can pay with PayPal if you want.

http://www.cdkeys.com/
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 05:22:14 AM

Has anyone given the multiplayer a good go? I'd love to find a good shooter which has outdoor maps, teams and let's you jump into the action. What I mean is that you respawn swiftly and can take a few shots before dying.

What I really want is Unreal Tournament with active servers, as UT servers now seem to be empty or full of bots (AI bots make up the numbers, not people cheating).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:26:28 AM

So is it actually a good FPS or is it the same crap as the last Doom where they just make everything really dark and try to have stuff jump out and startle your repeatedly as the main selling point?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 06:03:12 AM

The videos I've seen make it look a lot more like a classic Doom game updated for 2016 rather than Doom 3 crap. I don't know about the multiplayer.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 07:38:57 AM

The multiplayer was farmed out to another studio.  I think that's all you need to know.  Think Deus Ex boss fights.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 11:11:06 AM

In MP DM you spawn with a fixed loadout that you pick ahead of time. So that basically killed interested in MP for me.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:33 AM

So is it actually a good FPS or is it the same crap as the last Doom where they just make everything really dark and try to have stuff jump out and startle your repeatedly as the main selling point?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/doom-single-player-impressions-hell-and-back-again/

tl;dr

Lots of well lit (if repetitively red hued) open spaces, with constant run and gunning being the anticipated playstyle. Multiplayer is crap. Some sort of "glory kill" system that gives you a canned finishing move that can also get repetitive.

In balance, single player sounds fun if you like mostly old school FPS, multiplayer not so much.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:42:21 AM

GOD DAMMIT DEVELOPERS STOP NAMING YOUR FUCKING REBOOTS WITH THE EXACT SAME FUCKING TITLE AS THE FUCKING GAME THEY'RE FUCKING REBOOTING AAAAAAAAAAGHWERQQLKGAJF4@#$#($^U

I agree.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 01:39:13 PM

Has anyone else been playing the new Doom?  I'm only a few hours into the SP campaign but so far I'm really enjoying it.  Haven't played the MP yet so I can't comment on that. I liked Doom 3 but I felt most of the tension came from monsters jumping out at you from the dark.  You can see almost all of them coming for you and the environments don't feel as closed in.  Using a melee attack to kick the shit out of demons to release health regens never gets old and you literally start shooting stuff less than 10 seconds in.  It is linear in progression but the maps are fairly open so you don't feel it as much.  Overall so far so good and it looks fantastic.  It's been worth the $40CND I paid for it on one of those shady key seller sites, where the codes I received where scanned copies of a paper print out. awesome, for real  I bought Battleborn from the same place for the same price and I'm kind of regretting that one already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSVfOqzz4RM

Facepalm
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:46 PM

I agree.
+1

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 05:10:27 PM

I'm seeing a lot of good reviews for this and it might be the game that makes me pull the trigger on a new gaming PC (it's been five years, not a bad run).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:57 PM

Basically people are saying the single player is fantastic, the Multi-player isn't.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 02:22:03 AM

Multi is bad, not good, not mediocre, not playable, just bad. It's so bad they didn't even bother with anti-cheat. The single player is absolutely fantastic and is a brilliant take on the original.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 02:13:00 AM

Picked it up after hearing so many positive things, and not enjoying Single player particularly. (Haven't bothered with multi)

It's incredibly fast and spammy, mobs charge at you and run around spamming fireballs, which sucks since you're as tough as custard and forced to constantly do melee finishers in order to heal and not die - which wouldn't be an issue if the combat didn't feel so spamtastic. There's a fair bit of ammo around yet it's easy to run out in a ...well, I couldn't call it a firefight, more a headless chicken gunspamrun. Fuel on the chainsaw sucks balls. Red is the apparently new (everything is) brown. It's everything that's shitty about call of duty multiplayer in a single player campaign.

Not holding the (lack of) shitty videogame story against it particularly, but there's nothing there to grab you, either.

If you like running around in circles spamming your weapon while getting spam-attacked with fireballs and other shit in endless brown red arenas and that same future-industial park/factory that we've been playing in for at least 15 years with slightly shinier graphics, then this game is for you.

It's nothing like totally-dark monster-closet Doom 3, which should be a good thing, but somehow doesn't make the grade - for me at least.

It's Doom for the COD generation. Yawn.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 05:55:39 AM

So incorrect it's painful to read.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 06:29:51 PM

Opinions, eh?

I found it boring and spammy. I wanted to like it - I didn't buy it to shit on it - I'll go back and do some more, but I've just got no urge to go back and play more of it. I'll have to make myself do so rather than being drawn to it - and it really does remind me of COD MP in feel more than anything else.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 10:41:50 PM

If you like running around in circles spamming your weapon while getting spam-attacked with fireballs and other shit in endless brown red arenas and that same future-industial park/factory that we've been playing in for at least 15 years with slightly shinier graphics, then this game is for you.

Isn't that what Doom 1 & 2 were?

While I recognize their importance I personally was never really a fan of them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 02:04:45 AM

At least with the old ones you got to shoot John Romero at the end.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 07:10:27 AM

So essentially, it's a prettier version of Serious Sam?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 07:35:59 AM

Which was a prettier version of games like Doom.  The circle is now complete.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 12:25:36 PM

For a good while the FPS genre was called "Doom clones" or sometimes "Quake clones" (and Quake was just Doom with a true 3D engine). 

You damn kids should have some respect.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 01:08:45 PM

Ha, when I read people talking talking about it, first thing in my mind was "That sounds just like Serious Sam."

Since I loved Serious Sam, I may have to give this a go.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 05:28:49 AM

For a good while the FPS genre was called "Doom clones" or sometimes "Quake clones" (and Quake was just Doom with a true 3D engine). 

You damn kids should have some respect.   awesome, for real

Nah, Doom always sucked, story-wise. And shit, Doom itself was just Wolfenstein...IN SPAAAAACE (and hell). That was why I was such a big fan of Marathon back in the day. It had a decent story, great MP (for LAN parties, anyway) and you could look up and down.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 10:57:27 AM

Isn't that what Doom 1 & 2 were?

While I recognize their importance I personally was never really a fan of them.

I don't remember D1 and 2 (or Q1) as quite this fast/spammy, so YMMV.

Ha, when I read people talking talking about it, first thing in my mind was "That sounds just like Serious Sam."

Since I loved Serious Sam, I may have to give this a go.

That's a fair call. It does have a feel similar to Serious Sam, but with srs bznsz demons instead of SS's semi-random, crazy shit. Or Sam's gigantic shit (at least so far). I enjoyed Sam more, FWIW.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 03:19:43 PM

There is a mod for Doom 2 called Brutal Doom that adds a lot to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq20fqqZTqw

Hic sunt dracones.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:23 PM

So I heard there are no iron sights in this game.

FUKKEN SOLD !
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 22, 2016, 08:07:36 PM

Just beat the single player game. 

The first half of the game is fucking fantastic.  You have great mobility, the level design is really good (good use of vertical space and backtracking), the pacing is excellent, it maintains the original doom feel to a T.  The rune challenges were fun and felt rewarding (again, speaking of the first half of them here).  The glory kills work really well imo to keep the pacing of combat and break up the shooting (and not have to rely on health pickups as much), and having to chainsaw enemies to get ammo works great to keep you aggressive.  The secrets are very naturally positioned and make you feel accomplished when you find secret areas. 

Halfway through the game they apparently were hit with the stupid stick.  It's a god awful maps that some designer went "let's take influence from quake 3" and did that over and over and over and over and over and over.  Yes quake 3, the purely multiplayer one. 

The game thinks it's cute when it goes "Demonic presence at high levels, lockdown commencing" which makes you want to slam your hand on your desk in rage because you know that it means the game is going to trap you in a room where you run around in literally circles for 5-10 minutes killing the same enemies over and over and over again.  Not only that, but they spawn in waves so you have to kill all (or most?) of the enemies in the previous waves before the next wave spawns.  So as you kill enemies more of them spawn right inside the room again totaling 5+ waves in some instances.   So yay you just killed two revanants plus 7 imps, how about 3 imps, 1 revanant and 1 manticore?  Oh good you killed those now how about 5 imps, 2 revanants, 3 manticores?  Ok good now how about 1 imp, 2 manticores and 1 baron?  etc.. ad nauseum.

There's no clever way to deal with these.  You literally just run around the map, through portals (to teleport from one side of the map to the other) and run around on jump pads.  I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a Q3 Arena map that matches each and every one of these.  And they do this literally multiple times per level all strung together in the second half of the game. 

Then you have boss fights, which boil down circle strafing constantly while dodging easily dodgable attacks.  They are trivial to beat but they are also crazy bullet sponges so they are dull as all hell.  Then when you beat each boss it either spawns 1 or 2 of the EXACT SAME FUCKING BOSS for you to fight again right away.  No break in between or anything.  And don't get me started about the last boss fight......

I was so so so enthusiastic and excited about this game throughout the first half of the game, and talking with my friend also playing about secrets and other stuff.  I was all ready to replay the beginning missions because I missed secrets, and my friend and I were discussing some snap maps we found online that sounded fun for coop.  But now that I forced myself through the terrible 2nd half I have zero desire to touch the game ever again. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Doom 2016  
Jump to: