Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watership Down (2016/2017) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Watership Down (2016/2017)  (Read 3722 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

on: April 28, 2016, 06:42:59 AM

Netflix and BBC are teaming up to redo Watership Down. And they're bringing the noise with their cast selection.

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-traumatize-whole-new-generation-watership--235948

Netflix and the BBC are teaming up to ensure that no generation of children goes without the character-building experience of waking up screaming at the thought of being messily devoured by rabbits, or drowned in pastoral fields of blood. The streaming service has partnered with the broadcasting company on a new adaptation of Richard Adams’ Watership Down, with a star-studded cast lined up to appear in the ongoing nightmares of every child whose parent puts on “the cute bunny movie” and leaves them to their fates.

Heading up the cast: The Force Awakens’ John Boyega, alongside James McAvoy, Ben Kingsley, and Gemma Arterton. There’s no word yet on who’ll be playing which of the novel’s many doomed rabbits, although it’s not hard to imagine Kingsley’s polished growl emerging from the battered hide of the book’s primary villain, the massive, battle-scarred rabbit General Woundwort.

Watership Down was famously adapted to the screen in 1978, with John Hurt in the starring role of heroic leader Hazel, who attempts to lead his warren to safety from numerous apocalyptic threats. The book was also adapted for TV from 1999 to 2001, with Stephen Fry, Rik Mayall, and Dawn French all lending their vocal talents to the show.

The new miniseries will air in four parts on the BBC, and presumably land in one big block on Netflix for other markets. The Fantastic Mr. Fox animator Pete Dodd will lead the CGI animation for the production.

UPDATE: Variety has posted the actual casting information for this new Watership Down, with X-Men veteran McAvoy playing Hazel, Nicholas Hoult (a.k.a. Nux from Mad Max: Fury Road) as the prophetic Fiver, Boyega as the physically powerful Bigwig, and Kingsley in the role of Woundwort. Meanwhile, Arterton will play Clover, while Peep Show (and a bunch of other great stuff) actress Olivia Colman is playing Strawberry (who’s a male rabbit in Adams’ original book). All told, it’s an amazing cast, only slightly dampened by the fact that the whole thing will be directed by Noam Murro, whose only major credit is 2014’s dismal 300: Rise Of An Empire.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:13 AM

Hope it is as trippy and depressing as the original. As a kid, I loved this movie even though it was shocking.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:34 AM

Saw this on Facebook, didn't know it was real.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:21 AM

I guess some people really like rabbit snuff films.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:49:41 PM

Always makes me think of this

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:43 PM

Hope it is as trippy and depressing as the original. As a kid, I loved this movie even though it was shocking.

I rewatched most of it on YouTube and it would make my 12 year old daughter cry.

I have never played WoW.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:43:38 PM

Watership Down and The Dark Crystal.  Two of the only "kids" movies I have ever seen that no child should ever be subjected to before the age of 12 or so.  Both are practically nightmare fuel, for entirely different reasons.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:08:35 PM

Watership Down and The Dark Crystal.  Two of the only "kids" movies I have ever seen that no child should ever be subjected to before the age of 12 or so.  Both are practically nightmare fuel, for entirely different reasons.

No Secret of Nimh?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 09:48:55 PM

Secret of Nimh and The Dark Crystal were the first two movies I ever remember seeing in the theater. Both scared the shit out of me. Watership Down I saw when it aired on ABC or whatever around the same timeframe.

I refused to watch The Dark Crystal again until I was I college.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:28:37 PM

Dark Crystal did nothing to me, but that angry rat from Nimh was pretty fucking awful for a kid.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:52 AM

Wierd.  Nymh never really bothered me at all.  The owl was a bit freaky,  but that was about it.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 04:28:18 AM

I was mostly angry that Nimh wasn't like the book.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:29 PM

Labyrinth

That movie was pretty fucked up in every way - just not as dark as Watership Down and The Dark Crystal

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 01:51:24 PM

Secret of Nimh and The Dark Crystal were the first two movies I ever remember seeing in the theater. Both scared the shit out of me. Watership Down I saw when it aired on ABC or whatever around the same timeframe.

Man you had it easy, here are the first movies I remember seeing in a theater.  None of them are exactly up to modern standards of fear and gore but they were more than adequate for my 6 or 7 year old self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Crypt_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abominable_Dr._Phibes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_(1971_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_the_Blood_of_Dracula
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:30 PM

Never seen Watership Down, but I was OBSESSED with The Dark Crystal in elementary school.  I wrote my own stories and did little puppet shows and things with my friends based on it, basically completely ripping off the movie but with my own COMPLETELY ORIGINAL (cough) characters and only slightly hampered by a complete lack of comprehension regarding what was happening in half the scenes.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:47:52 PM

Man you had it easy, here are the first movies I remember seeing in a theater.  None of them are exactly up to modern standards of fear and gore but they were more than adequate for my 6 or 7 year old self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Crypt_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abominable_Dr._Phibes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_(1971_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_the_Blood_of_Dracula

I was 4.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 11:02:37 AM

My early movie going history included Star Wars, Alien, and Orca. Yes, my mother took me to Alien. I was 11. I remember all three quite vividly to this day.

I have never played WoW.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 03:06:51 PM

Star Wars at the drive-in with my mother and her boyfriend at the time was my very first movie.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Then Dark Crystal was the first movie I got to see where the parents who took us sat a few rows back...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Watership Down (2016/2017)  
Jump to: