Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: 1 GM for every 2000 concurrent users 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1 GM for every 2000 concurrent users  (Read 4604 times)
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

on: March 12, 2005, 06:57:37 PM

Okay, so I did some investigative reporting, and managed to dig up this interesting little tidbit of information.

There's this web site called Onecle, which is run by a lawyer and provides legal education online.  As one of their free services, they provide sanitized "sample" copies of legal contracts in a variety of fields, to server as helpful guidlines and educational tools for the legal and business professions.

So, I was not too surprised when a copy of the contract between Vivendi Universal and China The9 Interactive appeared, documenting their agreement regarding the operation of World of Warcraft in China.  Of course, most of the key details have been removed, but it appears one little tidbit slipped through the sanitization process:

For in-game support, Licensee shall ensure that there is at least one game master for every 2000 concurrent users at all times, or otherwise as determined by VUG/Blizzard.

Now, I'm making a lot of assumptions here.  That this is an actual (although sanitized) copy of the contract, that VUG/Blizzard didn't later specify a different number, and that the ratio of 1:2000 is going to be about the same for the US and EU servers as it is for China's servers.  But if that's accurate, then that seems to me an low number of GMs for a game like WoW.

Bruce
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 07:03:25 PM

Grapevine says WoW GMs get paid $10/hour.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 11:12:53 AM

For that kind of money I'd just sit at my computer making people fall through the world so I could make them wait half the day to answer their tickets.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Joe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:07:03 PM

Standard number is 1:1500, so they're not too bad.

That's not bad money for part time work.
Biobanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 05:36:36 AM

Well, that begs the question on whether the GMs can actually help you with a disappeared item or some other similar thing. Not just the name changes, stuck characters, and racists.

Charlie says: Always tell your mommy before you go out somewhere.
Playing: WoW. Waiting on: Gods and Heroes, Guild Wars
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 06:11:08 AM

Standard number is 1:1500, so they're not too bad.

That's not bad money for part time work.

That'sabout standard for full-time work in CS as well. At least around the midwest.  For example, the people who handle your account information at your local bank or the Citibank call center here in Cincinnati get paid between $9.50 and $12 an hour for floor positions, which is what the GMs in WoW are. Supervisors and Managers get more, but not the grunts doing the majority of the work, and they're dealing with something a wee bit more sensitive than digital elves.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: 1 GM for every 2000 concurrent users  
Jump to: