Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Captain Britain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Britain  (Read 3805 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

on: March 22, 2016, 12:03:29 PM

https://twitter.com/CiaraMcAvoy1/status/711200774127284224

So I think someone jumped the gun and announced a Captain Britain show.  

I wonder if this is gonna be like a BBC show.  I would assume this wouldn't be totally targeted at a U.S. audience.  
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:25 PM

That could be truly awesome, or terrifyingly bad.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:58:28 PM

From what little I know of it from the comics, almost certainly terrifyingly bad.

But hey, I guess good writing and direction can make any comic source material awesome on film.  From what little I knew of Guardians of the Galaxy, I thought it would be terribad also when first announced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:42:16 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:24:06 PM

I'll take People that got fired for leaks for $500, Alex.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 01:34:36 PM

Wow.  Also, Dear God NO.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 02:20:49 PM

What?  You're not into a series about a Captain America wannabe given powers by Merlin who has a twin sister to which the MCU has no rights (and is semi-explicably Asian) who is essentially a watered down Superman? 

He has never been a character that intrigued me, but I'm curious what they might be able to do with him... and more curious about the who is that will be doing something with him.  Which Network?  And when released?

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 03:55:25 AM

What?  You're not into a series about a Captain America wannabe given powers by Merlin who has a twin sister to which the MCU has no rights (and is semi-explicably Asian) who is essentially a watered down Superman? 

He has never been a character that intrigued me, but I'm curious what they might be able to do with him... and more curious about the who is that will be doing something with him.  Which Network?  And when released?
Isnt he also part of some multidimensional orginization of "captain britians", where literally every parallel dimension in the universe is supposed to have one?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:27:08 AM

Yeah.  It is known as the "Captain Britain Corps."

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 07:44:48 AM

I think the only version of this character that I've really liked was the recent Paul Cornell series where he was part of a magical government task force in the UK--that had a crazy, fun feel to it, especially when they fight off an invasion by Dracula (from his moonbase).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 02:28:35 PM

I wonder what are the rights on a pre-bodyswap Psylocke. What a glorious mess that must be.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 02:49:55 PM

I think Marvel has the upper hand with regards to X-Men based TV rights. It's the movies where they have no pull whatsoever.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 02:55:12 PM

The Captain Britain series by Alan Moore was fun. Can't see that becoming the basis of a TV show though.

I wonder what are the rights on a pre-bodyswap Psylocke. What a glorious mess that must be.

Well she was just called Betsy Braddock before she joined the X-Men so maybe if they included her as a character but didn't make her an Asian ninja dressed in a sexy purple body suit? (She was still a mutant though).
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 03:00:46 PM

but didn't make her an Asian ninja dressed in a sexy purple body suit?

No, sorry, you've lost me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 03:13:56 PM

I think Marvel has the upper hand with regards to X-Men based TV rights. It's the movies where they have no pull whatsoever.
Doubtful, since they call mutants 'enhanced people' or 'powered people' or whatever on SHIELD.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 03:21:00 PM

he

Here's what Betsy looks really looks like, by the way. I for one am looking forward to the day Psylocke returns to her natural state. (Taken with my phone)

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 04:23:43 PM

Captain Britain and MI7 (magical secret service that takes out Dracula invasions) has the potential to be entertaining. Combined with a character that has a level of inferiority issues (mirroring the UK's own attitude towards America) has the potential to be entertaining.

It all comes down to whether this is a Netflix series or a new ABC one. If it's the former I could see it being fun as a quirky action comedy. If it's the latter then I'm expecting MAoS with really bad accents.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 04:49:20 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 12:35:29 AM

Darn, and here I was hoping he would meet up with Shamrock, the Oirish superhero. Her powers? Er, she's lucky. Like really, really lucky. And she has red hair...

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 09:27:14 AM

More: The full story appears to be that there is someone pitching the idea to Marvel and wanted to make a 'Highlight Reel' for their pitch.  It would be for a prospective 2017 series.

In more news, I'm trying to find my 1970s Hulk Figure so that I can build my own Highlight Reel to pitch a Hulk TV show.  It should have about the same chance to get made...

Most likely, the 'leak' was intentional in an attempt to build buzz.  Marvel will likely not like the attempt at manipulation - and if they like the idea of the character, they'll distance themselves from anyone that can't keep their mouth shut.  Marvel loves secrecy (in case you didn't know).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Captain Britain  
Jump to: