Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: GDC Awards 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GDC Awards  (Read 34731 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: March 13, 2005, 04:59:22 PM

As if using caps will make your previously-defeated argument make any more sense?

The only way what you are saying could make sense is if WoW used the exact same art assests as WC3, which is not the case.

Bullshit. Where was I defeated? It's not about assets, it's about style. That's what everyone argues on WoW. The style. The efficient use of polygons and colors is easy to applaud. But it doesn't make for the best graphical achievement of the year. It used the same style as Warcraft III. I never said it used the same assets. If you want to try and tell me that this:

http://www.iniziopartita.net/public/file/3029/WCIII_06.jpg

..doesn't use the same style as WoW, then you're completely deluding yourself. The incredible textures and design of HL2 is why I'm willing to chuck the award at them. Comparably, WoW's textures don't even remotely compare. And all the biggest things in HL2 (striders, beasts, buildings, etc) are far more magnificent than WoW's (Onyxia? Feh. Ogrimmar? Maybe, but doesn't compare to the center of City 17).

To distill that: In a vacuum the art of WoW doesn't compare to the art of HL2. If you want to see for yourself, go get the two art books that are available at your local EB.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #36 on: March 13, 2005, 09:28:36 PM

In no area of HL2 was I like "this sucks". There were multiple zones in WoW I felt were bland and competely boring. What did WoW achieve, again?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #37 on: March 13, 2005, 09:46:36 PM

In no area of HL2 was I like "this sucks". There were multiple zones in WoW I felt were bland and competely boring. What did WoW achieve, again?

I hate most of the Horde continent, I dunno why, I just hate how almost all the areas look. My favorite area by far is Darkshire. I was bummed out when I ran out of quests to do there.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: March 13, 2005, 10:15:13 PM

I played a Troll in WoW, I didn't see anything special artwise at all.

Starting area - sucked.
Islands and troll village to south - nothing special.
Rest of starting continent - boring.
Barrens - boring.

I'm sersiously missing something. Maybe certain areas of the game are just a lot better, cause what I saw was just bland, low poly crap without any of the vaunted style people are talking about. I mean, the entire starting continent and the barrens is basically mono-colored flat wasteland.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
dEOS
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 14, 2005, 01:46:34 AM

The award is not for visual graphics but for visual arts.

It's easy to come up with something that goes for the realistic look. WoW has a proper visual identity. You instantly recognize the game has being WoW when you look at a screenshot. Not only have they achieve to render a complete MMORPG world with their own visual style but they did so with amazing details everywhere you care to go. Even the starting areas for trolls have some 'magic' in them, the Echoes Islands coming to my mind. The attention to detail everywhere you go in WoW is just mind-boggling. Every other visual ARTISTs (not the programmers) are just in awe at the work and thoughts that represents.

d

CoH - Freedom
WoW - EU Servers - Sargeras [French-PvP]
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #40 on: March 14, 2005, 05:33:20 AM

WoW has a proper visual identity.

You seem to be missing the point. They're saying that HL2 does as well. Just because it's realistic looking doesn't invalidate it from having a visual style.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 14, 2005, 06:19:22 AM

When talking about "games as art", I'd have to say yeah, WoW has some of the most gorgeous landscapes I've seen in games.  I have two problems with that though.
1) I can't afford $2,000 for a PC to run it up to spec.
2) I don't buy games in order to create wallpaper.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #42 on: March 14, 2005, 09:50:38 AM

I played a Troll in WoW, I didn't see anything special artwise at all.

Starting area - sucked.
Islands and troll village to south - nothing special.
Rest of starting continent - boring.
Barrens - boring.

Horde starting area is pretty spartan, especially the Troll/Orc part.  There's a reason I skip through the barrens just about as fast as I humanly can and spend time in other areas. The Oasis's are pretty well done though and I like the little touches like the certain stalking cats hiding in the tall grasses.   The Sludge Fen area is an interesting insertion into the zone, so is the Ratchet/pirate coast area.

I'll point out some of the visual highlights below.

Early on for atmosphere you have Tristfall Glades/Silverpine Forrest for the Undead.  The atmosphere the art creates is pretty creepy and fun.
Mulgore the Tauren area is really wonderfully done.  Great native american vibe.  Too bad cows are too big for PVP (easy targetting, no thanks).
Ashenvale. Too elven, but cool nonetheless.
Stonetalon Mountains.  Variety of environments in that zone including a very cool waterfall area with a Venture company logging installation.
Wailing Caverns.  Pretty good for most people's first serious instance.
Desolace, while being a shit zone, has a lot of personality.

I could go on.  There's a lot of zones with a lot of personality.  Some themes are repeated.  There are multiple swamp zones, multiple forrest zones, multiple evil creepy undead forrest zones but each has it's own spin on the theme.  Western Plaguelands i s a very grand and varied version of Tristfall Glades that you start off in as the undead.  The instances for the most part are pretty damn unique.  It's hard not to be impressed with the effort that went into places like Uldaman, Scholomance, Stratholme and Blackrock depths.

Do I have any gripes?  Sure, the armor graphics for the most part suck.  The textures on some are downright aweful.  Of course, I have my graphics options turned way down for raiding.  PvE raiding doesn't get that bad, but large scale pvp you're going to have issues even with your graphics on bottom of the barrel.

I'm not blown away by WoW's graphics, but they're easily the best and most effective I've seen in any MMORPG to date.  Perhaps also the best of any RPG I've played of late.  I'm continually pleased and sometimes taken by surprise by the details and care that they've put into the visual aspect of the game.  Best of the year for me? Yep. 

-Rasix
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #43 on: March 14, 2005, 03:50:08 PM

As if using caps will make your previously-defeated argument make any more sense?

The only way what you are saying could make sense is if WoW used the exact same art assests as WC3, which is not the case.

Tho it's hard to tell sometimes, the poly counts don't seem that far off...  Especially on larger models.  It'd be hard to believe the difference is very large.  (Well, except night-elf ears.  Stupid floppy things...)

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #44 on: March 15, 2005, 07:48:25 AM

I find it hard to believe that some of the art assets from WC3 were not reused for WoW, at the very least the original hi-res models for some of the characters or monsters or even some of the buildings.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  Topic: GDC Awards  
Jump to: