Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2016 College Football 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 College Football  (Read 40337 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 07:22:17 AM

Pac12 officiating is never NOT a complete shitshow. They are literally the most incompetent collection of refs anywhere. The basketball refs are just as bad.

That was quite a game. I knew it was going to be close, but that was a bit closer than I had hoped. If the Utes had a more accurate QB they would have won that, most likely.

And fuck the SEC bias forever.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 11:08:51 AM

Ya, I think Williams was too keyed up playing his old team. Oh well, hope to see the Huskies again in the PAC-12 championship game.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 08:24:37 PM

SEC is so weak overall this year, but the rankings outside of A&M seem not sooo biased? The playoff has really injected some more reality into them it seems. Its Alabama and then a massive drop compared to other conferences having better balance. We'll see if either playoff opponent can put together the kind of high quality game(plan) needed to beat Bama and make for another memorable playoff year. Clemson has been too lucky for me to stand, really hope they don't make the playoffs somehow. Beyond that I pray for a 1-loss Buckeyes vs undefeated Michigan classic and this season will have been pretty cool.

I live in Cali and I haven't been able to catch a single UW game because fuck paying for cable until tomorrow night vs USC on Fox. Hope they don't choke.  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:27:35 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 12:00:51 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 07:14:14 AM

Dawgs over Auburn! We don't completely suck!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 07:26:26 AM

Dawgs over Auburn! We don't completely suck!

And LSU actually beat Arkansas this year... amazing. Watching Pitt beat Clemson was astounding. The campus actually feels happy this morning.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:31 AM

It was a great game played by LSU. It was a great defensive game played by Georgia. (Our offense is still poop).

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 02:16:14 PM

Saw that coming, what a shitshow that day was. Fuck Clemson though so that was nice. Need a Penn State loss to clean up the B1G results thanks to Michigan's upset that night as well.

Remainder of season xmas list: Another Clemson loss. Hopefully some exposure of Bama weaknesses. Nobody from Big12 making the playoffs. Either Colorado or UW running the table the rest of the way and making it in.

What a shame that there is no super strong contender from outside the power 5. Western Michigan did beat Northwestern by 1 but they are still not making it I'd imagine.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:20:02 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #43 on: November 20, 2016, 09:22:53 AM

Bama only has one weakness and it's in the secondary. And nobody has the kind of offensive line to stop their front pressure enough to exploit it regularly.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 11:00:49 AM

Bama has only one weakness and it's called the "hookers and blow". 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 11:25:50 AM

Bama has only one weakness and it's called the "hookers and blow". 

The Washington game will be interesting because I guarantee 95% of the SEC people have never seen them play a snap. I have and they dominated a Stanford team by smashing them to pieces up front. It wasn't a bunch of razzle dazzle flinging it bullshit.

Now can they do that to Bama? No. Can the defense hold it's own against Bama's offense? Yes, it can. But it needs to create turnovers or they have no shot. There's a reason that Washington is a 16.5 point dog and Florida was a 24.5 point dog. Washington can play with Bama. I'd be hesitant to lay the 16.5 knowing it's a bias spread given that the country has no idea what Washington is really about.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 10, 2016, 11:45:22 AM

Bamas main weakness is potentially everything. In that we don't know if they have played anyone decent. The entire SEC scheduled puff pastries for their out of conference games and did poorly (besides Bama of course). A lot of the teams Bama played were ranked when they played them... but not at the end of the season. The exception being USC, Auburn, Florida, and LSU ... And the USC they played at the start of the season is not the USC that ended up number 9 in the nation*. Auburn, Florida, and LSU all have the same scheduling issue that Bama has in that they play in the SEC and schedule puff pastries for ooc games.

Another way to say it would be that statistically it's hard to disambiguate being good and playing bad teams. While this doesn't make much of a difference within a conference between a conference the limiters are the number of interlocking games played. Which is very small for the SEC And because of this initial ratings make a big difference in both SoS and SoR estimations

Well we will find out which is which on the 31st I guess

*which is almost certainly going to murderize Penn St in the rose bowl. There is an article in the Seattle times which says that oddsmakers would give Michigan and USC better odds against Bama and I am not sure I disagree. i also think that they got the final 4 right but got the order wrong. Should have been Bama/OSU/UW/Clemson. Clemson at 2 is clownshoes
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #47 on: December 10, 2016, 12:23:21 PM

I mean by that logic you don't know if anybody is good. I don't think you can handwave away the asswhipping Bama put on USC because they ended up finishing stronger (against pretty much unranked garbage with the exception of Colorado and Washington). USC also lost to Stanford and Utah which are the other ranked teams left. So I would argue that USC deserves their spot, and Bama didn't make it even remotely close.

That's more than I can say for Clemson or Washington, who played nobody of consequence outside their limited conferences. Clemson's early win over Auburn by just 6 points speaks to the issues you'd see against Bama when they trounced Auburn by 18, and probably should have beaten them way worse. Washington has zero out of conference credibility so I think they are the bigger question mark. But again, common opponent would tell you they couldn't hold up to USC, and Alabama better on every front than that USC team.

However, common opponents don't always mean something when you have to wait a few weeks and play on the biggest stage. Both Washington and Bama have coaches who have played there. But Bama has kids who've done it recently, and Washington doesn't. I think it stays closer than people would guess, but I don't think Bama loses outright.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #48 on: December 10, 2016, 01:27:43 PM

The argument that the SEC plays some sort of slipshod out of conference schedule is BS. 

SEC OOC quality games
Alabama versus USC (W)
LSU versus Wisconsin (L)
Auburn versus Clemson (L)
Arkansas versus TCU (W)
Mississippi State versus BYU (L)
Mississippi versus Florida State (L)
Mississippi versus Memphis (W)
Florida versus Florida State (L)
Aggie versus UCLA (W)
Tenn versus Va Tech (W)
Georgia versus North Carolina (W)
Georgia versus Georgia Tech (L)
Missouri versus West Virginia (L)
Kentucky versus Louisville (W)
Vanderbilt versus Georgia Tech (L)
South Carolina versus Clemson (L)

Big Ten counterexample
Ohio State versus Oklahoma (W)
Michigan versus Colorado (W)
Wisconsin versus LSU (W)
Penn State versus Pitt (L)
Michigan State versus BYU (L)
Michigan State versus Notre Dame (W)
Northwestern versus Duke (W)
Nebraska versus Oregon (W)
Minnesota versus Oregon State (W)
Minnesota versus Colorado State (W)
Indiana versus Wake Forest (L)
Illinois versus North Carolina (L)

Those are pretty damned similar.  And, I'll note, that every SEC team plays a quality team from another conference.  Iowa and Illinois do not and the teams that the lower end of the Big Ten schedule some questionable opponents from the bigger conferences, such as Wake Forest, Duke, Oregon State, and Colorado State (which I threw in as a quality opponent because they usually are decent). 

I have this argument with my father-in-law regularly (who is a USC trojan fan).   The other conferences schedule plenty of patsies and the SEC has done fine in OOC games against quality opponents this year. 
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 10, 2016, 02:53:53 PM

By SoS the SEC is third to the Pac12 and Big 10. Bamas SoS counting USC would rank 3rd in the SEC... It would rank 8th in the Big 10 and 9th (almost 10th) in the Pac 12.

Granted this is better than the UW (which is also better than Clemson) but that counts USC for Bama when they were literally different teams at the time and it's generally inflated by the SECs originally high quality estimations. They started at 1,5,9, 11, 18, and 25 in the AP. They ended with 1,17,19 and 20.  Big 10 started with 3 ranked then ended with 6. Pac 12 5 to 4 but ranks generally improved.  That isn't a coincidence.

*and they were not at the time.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #50 on: December 10, 2016, 04:01:00 PM

Bamas main weakness is potentially everything. In that we don't know if they have played anyone decent. The entire SEC scheduled puff pastries for their out of conference games and did poorly (besides Bama of course). A lot of the teams Bama played were ranked when they played them... but not at the end of the season. The exception being USC, Auburn, Florida, and LSU ... And the USC they played at the start of the season is not the USC that ended up number 9 in the nation*. Auburn, Florida, and LSU all have the same scheduling issue that Bama has in that they play in the SEC and schedule puff pastries for ooc games.

why so serious?

You aren't kidding are you. Bama has had how many years in a row of top 3 recruiting classes? Both lines as usual are probably best in the country. Their RB probably isn't great but all three of them are huge usually so good enough and they tend to have plenty of 5-star college guys on the back seven of their defenses as well, every fucking year.

I doubt UW stands a snowball's chance in hell, I'll be pulling for them hard the whole way but lets not kid ourselves. Alabama isn't some gee who knows how good they really are type team this year. Even if the SEC was particularly weak they still went undefeated with one scare @ Ole Miss? Going undefeated in any conference is hard. Ask Ohio State about that egg they lay in Happy Valley plus four scares vs Mich, MSU, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Two of those are not at all in the conversation of good teams.

Alabama looks to be having one of those class all of their own type years. Clemson is flukey, Ohio State has not gelled into a cohesive identity/plan, UW won a strong Pac-12 without being forged into some kind of awesome team. They looked meh vs Cal, vs USC and honestly I was at the Pac12 championship game and I def didn't see a team that I thought could hang with Bama.

Anyone is better than Saban and his UK-esque recruiting juggernaut and their shithead southern fans but if everyone knows this is their title to lose.

-William Gibson
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 10, 2016, 07:38:46 PM

Who cares, Army beat Navy for the first time in 15 years.
Plus having the most badass uniforms seen on a football field this year.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #52 on: December 11, 2016, 11:39:29 AM

Ohio State will probably put up a tough game against Alabama and very well could win. 
Clemson will have a rough go, but might win 2 out of 10 against the Tide.
Washington will lose by 3 touchdowns. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #53 on: December 11, 2016, 11:57:39 AM

I don't see how Ohio State can win unless Isiah Prince has some type of major come to jesus and learn how to play RT moment in the coming weeks ok their shit backup who they had no replacement for is out for the season soooooo yeah I think they are just proper fucked vs Bama. They are also a better defense this year vs teams looking to pass than teams looking to lean on a bruising run game which does not play to the strengths of this year's edition of the defense.

If they could force Hurts to pass a lot I do think they could generate 10 (easy) points via turnovers and that could make the difference but that's 5 too many if's to call it anything but a long shot, game of their lives type situation.

I'm too biased against Clemson to give them fair evaluation. I've hated them passionately since that Louiseville game they had no business winning and then doubly so after that NCST game they lost but for a lol kicker moment. I'm fairly certain they have a high ceiling and I'd put them even to beat Ohio State or close to it but I think Alabama exposes them free in a championship matchup, Watson is no VY.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:02:01 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #54 on: December 11, 2016, 02:27:11 PM

I'm a PAC12 homer, but Bama will destroy Washington. They're just too good on defense for Browning to do much. Alabama will probably generate points in every phase of the game.

-Rasix
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: December 11, 2016, 09:56:04 PM

Ohio State will probably put up a tough game against Alabama and very well could win. 
Clemson will have a rough go, but might win 2 out of 10 against the Tide.
Washington will lose by 3 touchdowns. 

Washington is a much better team than Clemson. Almost as good as Ohio*. I don't doubt that Bama is favored just that the variance is a lot higher than people are giving them credit for.

*by SRS the list is Alabama(25), Ohio(21.7), Washington (21.6), Michigan(19.9), Penn(17.5), USC(17.5), Clemson(16.1). There is a good deal of variance in this due to limited cross conference play but it's still pretty decent
WayAbvPar

Reply #56 on: December 12, 2016, 10:24:58 AM

If my suspicion about Browning being secretly injured the past month is correct, and he is healthy in time for Alabama, Washington has a shot. If he is just off and not playing well for some other reason, they are doomed.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 10:58:23 AM

That Rose Bowl was fantastic. Well, not defensively, but probably one of the more entertaining games of football I've seen this year.

Alabama is going to probably going to curb stomp Clemson pretty hard. Washington gave them a decent defensive effort (that secondary, jesus), but the Washington offense couldn't do a damn thing. I'm guessing that a whole Sarkesian (drunk/pilled or not) will do better than a token Lane Kiffin effort. Still, Clemson could win. COULD. I'm just feeling that a "Hulk SMASH" effort is coming out of Bama for this one.

Ohio State was all sorts of sad. They looked like a 90s Big 10 team trying to play a modern era game.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 03:19:51 PM

Yeah UW's coach said the Alabama defense might be the best he has ever seen. They are huge and fast. UW played about a C+ game. If they had played their best, it might have been a pretty interesting contest.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 03:42:18 PM

Yeah UW's coach said the Alabama defense might be the best he has ever seen. They are huge and fast. UW played about a C+ game. If they had played their best, it might have been a pretty interesting contest.

Not sure we played a C+ game or if the Bama defense was just good against us. We didn't get any breaks* but besides the one long run from Bama and the bad interception the game was played pretty cleanly. Call the fumble unlucky(we had 1 fumble they recovered and they had two fumbles they recovered) and the pick six bad. That is only a handful of mistakes. Maybe we could have generated more offensive but i am not sure.

Because the cameras tend to focus on the QB its hard to tell what is happening down field. Alabama's front 4 were so strong that they could run 7 in their pass coverage zone. That meant that our receivers were never open. Double or triple teamed at any point past the line of scrimmage even when running a 3 wide set. Even if we set 5 on the line with 5 receivers we were going to be outnumbered in the pass. The only way we could reasonably get yardage was on the screen passes and that required more or less a rusher biting on the wrong side of the field.

If we had played perfect and/or the refs had been half decent we might have had a shot at them.

It also appears that the world(including me) was wrong about the ACC this year, damn.

Clemson/Bama could be a good game.

*All the bounces went Bama's way(Bama recovers all fumbles, Bama touches a punt allowing UW to get the ball back but it doesn't get called as such despite clearly happening). Bama straight cheated and got away with it(induced a snap by faking the snap count). They almost never got called for penalties that really should have been called(a few really bad targeting penalties that did not get called, and a number of decently bad holds).
WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 03:45:55 PM

Browning was bad. He missed several throws he should be able to make, and held the ball too often (which was probably the defense as much as anything). I didn't like the offensive game plan adjustments either. They needed to find more ways to get John Ross the ball.

And yes, it felt like every missed call went Alabama's way, but I don't think it affected the outcome too much.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 07:39:57 AM

Alabama will get calls because they are the 1990s Chicago Bulls. Everyone knows how good they are so they are going to get the benefit of the doubt. Plus in general I think people want the Death Star to win. Nobody outside of Carolina gives a shit about Clemson other than the fact they are playing Alabama. I'd wager that 75% of the people who root for Clemson this weekend are rooting for them because they aren't Alabama.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 07:43:20 AM

I'd wager that 75% of the people who root for Clemson this weekend are rooting for them because they aren't Alabama.

I'd say 95% (how many Clemson fans are there?). The Death Star is boring, no one ever roots for the Death Star unless they are Death Star fans (I'm a Pats fan, I know this for a fact). I so hope Clemson beats them so we can see sad Saban face (ok so it looks like every other face he makes).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 11:56:04 AM

I think you're wrong. I think most of SEC country will take up for Alabama. I know how they think around here and there's a heavy regional sentiment about rooting for the SEC over another conference.

There's the rest of the country that can't stand Alabama because success and conference. But most SEC fans will pull for the Death Star. And this will be a LOOOOOOOOW rated championship in my mind. It's a rematch and I don't think Clemson has improved enough to make a dent.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 12:21:43 PM

Alabama will get calls because they are the 1990s Chicago Bulls. Everyone knows how good they are so they are going to get the benefit of the doubt. Plus in general I think people want the Death Star to win. Nobody outside of Carolina gives a shit about Clemson other than the fact they are playing Alabama. I'd wager that 75% of the people who root for Clemson this weekend are rooting for them because they aren't Alabama.

Eh. Calls are one thing but simulating the snap count actually made me mad. (OK i was mad at the targeting that wasn't called too)  that is what took the game from "goddamn refs" to "cheating bastards"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:44 PM

Suck it Saban.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:25 AM

Great game, good for Clemson getting the monkey off the back of Clemsoning. Pretty amazing to see an interim coach pull this team to awesome heights 8 years later.

I hope to see the same from my Dawgs eventually and get our own 1980 monkey off our back.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 07:33:16 AM

Bama was spinning its wheels most of the game on offense. Not hard to defend run-run-screen. I was calling the plays to my gf before the huddle broke... Good for Watson upping his stock and good for College Playoffs. I was rooting for Bama if for nothing else, SEC pride... but it gets stale when the same shit happens every year.

Next year should be a hoot.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 10:11:04 AM

Suck it Saban.

After that first roughing call, I went from not caring to wanting Alabama to lose in the worst way.  Fuck them.

I'm actually surprised Clemson didn't screw it up. I was expecting some sort of Russel Wilson v Pats moment.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:04 PM

I don't watch much college football, but I saw the second half of this game. Watson looked WAY better than the Alabama QB (whose name I don't remember).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2016 College Football  
Jump to: