Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sandman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sandman  (Read 1367 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: March 06, 2016, 10:19:29 AM

So New Line is doing this and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was signed-on to play Sandman. He's quit over creative differences now, which given that it's a DC property means you already know where it was going.

Here's Levitt's statement:
RE: SANDMAN
So, as you might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, a while back, David Goyer and I made a producing deal with Warner Brothers to develop a movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN. Neil himself came on as an executive producer, we hired the excellent screenwriter, Jack Thorne, and we started in on the ambitious task of adapting one of the most beloved and boundary-pushing titles in the world of comics. I was pleased with the progress we were making, even though we still had quite a ways to go.

Recently, as you also might know if you like to follow these sorts of things, the sorta "ownership" (for lack of a better term) of the Sandman material changed hands when Warner Brothers shifted the entire catalogue of Vertigo comics (an imprint of DC) to their subsidiary, New Line. And a few months ago, I came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don't see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be. So unfortunately, I decided to remove myself from the project. I wish nothing but the best for the team moving forward.

I'd like to thank all the great people I've had the opportunity to work with on this one. I've had a blast with and learned a ton from David and Jack. Niija Kuykendall, Greg Silverman, and everyone at Warner Brothers have been fantastic, as have Geoff Johns and everyone at DC. And it's been a particular privilege as well as a rocking good time getting to know Mr. Gaiman, whose generous insights and masterful work have certainly convinced me that the Lord of Dreams and the Prince of Stories are one and the same Endless pattern.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:24 PM

I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but he's so far opposite of everything I think of regarding Sandman that I don't see this as a bad thing. It like if Reeves had left Constantine.

Though if the Sandman in question was the one that shot people with knock-out gas to fight crime I guess it would have been okay.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 12:43:57 PM

I can't see how a Sandman movie can not suck.  The whole concept just does not lend itself to a movie, and even a HBO-style long running series would struggle hard not to suck.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:06:50 PM

David Goyer is attached to the project. I do not understand how anyone in Hollywood thinks that is remotely a good idea. David Goyer, who is on record as hating comic books and who has been the guy in the back of the bus in the Nolan Batman movies and then moved up to being a part-time driver for Man of Steel. Right, that seems just about right for Sandman.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:24:52 PM

At first I read that as Danny Glover. He would make a really good Sandman I think.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:14:13 PM

Sandman is just not "comic-book" enough that Goyer might not do bad with it.

Though let's face it, he would have. Or will whenever it gets done.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sandman  
Jump to: