Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of cards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clash of cards  (Read 42828 times)
grebo
Terracotta Army

on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:45 PM

Supercell has a new game, called Clash Royale.  Set in the CofC universe, sorta a live action hearthstone.  You can collect different troops and upgrade them (by getting more copies of them).  Lots of different ones.  You can use 8 at once in your "deck" but you draw them repeatedly, not just once.  You put them on the board with elixir, which slowly regenerates up to 10 sorta like Hearthstone.  It's live action though, no turns.  They wander towards the enemy castles and try to break them.

I just have creatures and direct damage so far, I beat up some folks.  It's pretty fun. 

There's definitely the same sort of limit on playing time that CofC has though.  In this case you get chests from winning fights, you can have 4 at once.  Unlocking them takes 15 seconds or 3 or 8 hours depending on how good they are and you can only be unlocking one at a time, so after you get 4 and are unlocking one there's no real point to fighting more as you only gain resources and cards from chests.  Of course you can speed things up with gems.

I'll make the Bat Country guild if people start playing once I get to level 3.

Why don't you try our other games?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:01 AM

Been playing it too since it came out on Android this week. I find this a better time waster than Hearthstone. My only qualm is that you only get four chest slots, which can only be opened one at a time at 3-8 hour intervals. You can still play and not get chests, but it seems like I'd hit a wall against stronger foes without being properly prepared. So a fight every now and then is fine.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:38:55 PM

Just got a magical chest which is 12 hours but has 44 cards.  Glad i made it to arena 2 first.

Strategy in this is very subtle just like coc.  Little things make all the difference.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:28:04 AM

Did you form a clan? The guys some of us joined seem like fake Bat Country.

-Rasix
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 08:38:17 AM

I joined fake bat country for now.. I think if 5 or so of us start playing it will be worth splitting off.  Donating crap cards is a good source of coinz so didnt want to be in a too small clan.  Need the moolah for a better goblin hut.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 08:44:44 AM

I'm in, lvl4 so far and I've hit a plateau around 850-900 trophies.

I haven't found a great counter for witches yet. Skeleton army counters Princes nicely though. I've been working on getting a few key troops (knight, musketeer, archer) levelled up rather than splashing around since gold gets limited really quickly.

Huts and stuff seem good, but only if you can get 3+ of them up, then they're really hard to counter-push against. Dragons are OP for the first level or so but then seem to be beaten pretty easily by cheap ranged.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:06:37 PM

I'm in that fake Bat Country at the moment now (Bhodinut). I noticed a few familiar names. Fun game so far. Pacing isn't terrible.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 03:49:44 PM

I was about to create a clan but holy fuck, 1000 gold?

Rasix

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 04:01:40 PM

Yikes.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 04:02:27 PM

Played a bit of it, but it's too network intensive to play at work because of our shit wifi.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 04:59:57 PM

I can do it if you guys want.

Anyone know a midge?  Just created a Bat Country clan today, whoever they are.

Rasix

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:18 PM

1000 gold is less than $1 in their store.

-Rasix
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 07:30:18 PM

I made one.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 09:32:41 PM

1000 gold is less than $1 in their store.

Seriously???  Shit for $1 you can upgrade quite heavily in the beginning then.
This is a good game btw.  Much more rewarding when you slaughter someone then with something like Hearthstone.  And the clan mechanics are perfect.  Essentially it's a shared economy system (quasi trading if you will); so your strong players can aid the weak pretty well... though the 8hr donation time limit kinda sux.  Being able to watch just about every meaningful match is pretty damned cool as well.

The game is indeed very subtle.  There are counters and synergies for pretty much everything, not even including the varying arenas (wherein your strat will change).  Learning to react quickly and alter a strat can make things fairly tense.  I like the feel.

Like the idea of chests rewarding xp rather than simply fighting.  This allows you to advance without battling your ass off, though it allows a pay2advance scenario.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:21 AM

This feels like it has much more of a pay2advance aspect than CoC, maybe just because all the fights are head to head so you feel it a lot more when you're up against someone who just has more cards than you and there's nothing you can do about it.  Gonna hang in there and see if I can get used to it, but I doubt this is going to be as sticky as CoC has been (I think I'm in my fourth year of playing that now, jesus).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:09 PM

Chest time limits are one of the most in-your-face arbitrary gates I've ever seen.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 06:29:20 AM

I was pondering something similar the other night.  It renders the game into single-win gaming sessions unless you're cool with not pulling chests.  Not sure I hate it though, as my mobile attention span sucks anyways.

And it may be smarter to push towards crown chests anyways, rather than sit on your hands.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 06:45:47 AM

Like I mentioned above, if you push yourself to higher brackets, you may outlevel yourself as one would in Clash of Clans (i.e. upgrading your TH before you've built/upgraded everything else on your current TH level) and face competition more fierce than you can handle. Also, chest contents are also limited to what is available in the arena you're playing in. I think the wise/casual strategy is to just play until you're chest-capped and unlock as you go, especially if you want to unlock/upgrade your cards from a particular arena.

Also, I learned that Magical and Super Magical Chests can drop from regular matches.  awesome, for real

Edit: I have learned otherwise on the strikethrough part.

Opened my Super Magical Chest:

2x Giant Skel Cards
2x Balloon cards
50x Tombstone cards
200x Minion cards
3x Lightning Spell cards
1x Goblin Barrell card

DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:53:03 PM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 04:27:58 PM

I hate you

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:12 PM

Being matched against bullshit high level decks doesn't feel QUITE as bad when I consider that those matchups are the price I pay for being more skilled at playing my own shitty cards.   awesome, for real

It's still a little frustrating that the gate on getting new cards (the timers) is largely unaffected by player skill.  In Clash of Clans if you're good at the tactics part of the game you rake in the loot (and earn upgrades) much faster than somebody who sucks.  I like that about it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 08:07:02 PM

Indeed. If you're any good, that means you play once every 3hrs at best until you hit the playskill wall; and those games only last a few minutes.  There needs to be something else to do.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:42 AM

So what's the best counter for the Necromancer ladies?  I just made it to Arena 2, so I only have arena 1 cards so far.  I'm guessing once I get more units I should run Fireball OR Arrows and probably not both as sometimes my hand gets clogged up with them. 
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 08:09:32 AM

Bombers are pretty good against witches IMO since they can clear all the skels in one shot.  Ideally you want a bomber and a tank.

Rasix

Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 08:11:34 AM

So what's the best counter for the Necromancer ladies?  I just made it to Arena 2, so I only have arena 1 cards so far.  I'm guessing once I get more units I should run Fireball OR Arrows and probably not both as sometimes my hand gets clogged up with them. 

Musketeers can pretty much solo them if the skeletons haven't gotten out of hand.

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 05:16:00 PM

This seems fun. I joined the clan. Should I be donating cards? Or requesting cards?

Also, should I be saving my gold and earned gems to get past some roadblock later or just spend them as I get them?
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:17 PM

If you want, and yes.

I am trying to save my gems for a chest but i can also see the logic of buying gold with them.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 08:12:17 AM

Goblins do silly amounts of DPS if you can give them some cover. Goblin barrel is the card I'm currently finding most annoying; it's just poke poke poke while you play a turtle strat.

That said, my giant skeleton backed up by goblins is doing pretty well.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 12:13:53 PM

I'm actually quite impressed with Supercell's balancing. My shortlist of cards I think are OP is constantly changing, and I keep finding myself getting stomped by cards that I used to think sucked, or swapping in cards I never thought I'd use as a response to the meta. You can also find nearly any unit in active use in the spectatable high-level games. The only card that I'm still convinced is just super good in basically every situation is musketeer.

Right now freeze upsets me more than anything. Particularly when I spend my entire elixir bar answering a hog rider and they freeze my whole field and solo the tower. I need to spread out my troops more.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 03:59:37 PM

Freeze does sounds really annoying, I don't think I'm quite to that level yet though.  I didn't have as much luck with musketeer as I did with archers and spear goblins.  Maybe I should give them another shot.

Has anyone upgraded an epic to level 2 yet?  I haven't spent any gems yet but I've been thinking about spending some of the freebies to buy gold to get another prince or x-bow.  I'm just not sure how worth it a level 2 prince is over a level 1.
Rasix

Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 04:11:39 PM

They can be, especially if they take you over some sort of threshold, which most will probably do.  You're getting DPS/HP and it's not going to cost more.  Maybe something will even work better specifically at 2 rather than 1.  Prince seems like a staple at high ranks.  Probably can't go wrong with that.

I don't think I'll be working the prince back in specifically until it's 2.  Right now my other options are more effective. 

I just couldn't get the xbow to work. Sure, you can get lucky and get a free tower every once in a while, but overall it's not that great for the cost.

-Rasix
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 04:36:35 PM

I have prince at 2 and I don't see myself cutting him any time soon, but that's just my playstyle - I like single, strong, tanky units. He still dies instantly to swarms of skeletons and minions; you basically have to be tracking your opponent's hand/elixir in order for him to do anything but he has a lot of potential for taking free towers. He also has me running skeletons (1-elixir version) just as an answer to him since he kind of wrecks my field otherwise.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:09 AM

I'm actually quite impressed with Supercell's balancing. My shortlist of cards I think are OP is constantly changing, and I keep finding myself getting stomped by cards that I used to think sucked, or swapping in cards I never thought I'd use as a response to the meta.

While I like the theory of this, it only works for me when I have access to the things that appear to be OP so I can try them out myself.  I got dropped all the way from arena 5 to arena 3 by a long string of losses to epics that I don't have.  When I realized that I was almost at the point of buying chests out of frustration, decided it was time to uninstall.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 07:27:30 AM

Sam, it might be too late to matter, but that stuff will come around in the shop too.  Saving 2k gold to buy one card isn't so hard to do.  I've had to do it twice so far for Prince and Baby Dragon.. who at level 1 is still better than my l6 minion horde was.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 09:20:08 AM

The issue I'm having with it is I keep running into these people that just have insane level cards.   Twice now I've fought someone with level 7 barbarians that just trashed my level 5 barbs and my musketeer against my tower AND they still get tower damage in.   

I guess I just have an issue with it as a strategy game if the pieces you're playing with aren't on equal footing.  Sometimes I have a hard time evaluating if I lost the game because I played something wrong or if it's just because all his units were level 6 and mine were 5.  Or how much did his level 4 mini pk affect the match.  If I have to throw one extra unit to deal with it I lose any elixir advantage I previously had.

Idk, overall I really like the game but I keep having these frustrating streaks where I lose 3-4 games to some BS and then start changing my deck, rage queuing, and losing even more points  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 10:02:07 AM

Be careful when dropping troops on top of any swarm.  The already dropped troops will get first strike, and that often makes a big difference.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Mobile  |  Topic: Clash of cards  
Jump to: