Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:46:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stardew Valley 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stardew Valley  (Read 31079 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:35 AM

Half million copies sold already. From part-time usher to multimillionaire in a week and still counting. Nice!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36 on: March 11, 2016, 12:08:57 PM

Sounds like Western Harvest Moon.  Which is great.

Need Western Rune Factory now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 12:14:07 PM

WE NEED CULDCEPT
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:42 PM

Wow, way to punch me in an old wound.  How about a new Phantom Dust?

Fucker. awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 12:16:10 PM

Culdcepts are still coming out though.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 12:24:25 PM

This is possibly the best game ever created in the world ever.   Heart  Days are still too short, though. 

I'm off to dig a hole and buy a cow.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 12:35:44 PM

Does everyone just romance Penny? I started diwn that path but things got awkward and im thinking of bailing. Does that make me a bad person?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 12:40:48 PM

Yes, but only virtually.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 02:36:57 PM

I basically romanced all five of the women (ten hearts), with the intention of going with whomever I liked the most. Until you marry one of them there's zero downside to going after them all. I'm probably going to go with Leah. From what I skimmed over on the game's forums, Abigail is the most popular, followed by Leah, then Penny and Haley. Maru, apparently, is incredibly unpopular.

Almost done my second spring and starting to see good pay days from farming crops. Currently running about 24 second tier sprinkler plots and 1 iridium sprinkler plot. Spent a lot of money stocking up on strawberry seeds (256 or so) for year 3's spring, as most spring crops otherwise are kind of annoying due to the need to constantly replant. Going to increase my plots by another 12 of the second tier sprinklers for summer to really start raking in the cash. I'd love more iridium sprinklers, but I just don't have a lot of iridium yet (I haven't unlocked the desert). Other than farming, I'm just aiming for a single source of everything else (1 cow, 1 chicken, 1 duck, etc.) to have them on-hand for quests and for the community centre bundles.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 03:17:18 PM

Hah, I've been giving flowers to Maru.

I do think he needs to balance a bit more to incentivise replantable crops.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:08 PM

HM handles it with the ability to carry over quality increases from one generation to another; that's not a thing here I don't think.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:21 PM

I went with Leah, Penny has a weird April O'Neil vibe awesome, for real

Strawberries, Cranberries and Blueberries seem to be way too good from what I've seen in the first year.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:06 PM

Blueberries in particular. Strawbs were only popping 1 per plant, iirc. Bluebs were popping 3 per. First turn-in I was all  ACK!

Not going to abuse it, want to keep the game slow and relaxing.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: March 12, 2016, 07:14:57 AM

Has anyone joined joja mart? How much does the story diverge or is it just endgame right then? I'm curious about going that route but don't spoil too much if you have please.

CaptainNapkin
Terracotta Army

Once split a 12.5lb burger with a friend.

Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 10:58:14 AM

I never made it longer than an hour with any Harvest Moon game. 35 hours into this and I see no end in sight yet, this game is fun. I'm loving that you can just casually play at whatever pace you want. I haven't even hit winter in my first year yet.

Tryin' to raise some hard love DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand,
Or so I have read...
(Item / location spoiler in this one)

I shouldn't have capitalized that, makes my OCD kick in every time I see it referenced.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:00:45 AM by CaptainNapkin »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:37 PM

If you purchase a Jojamart membership, the main difference is the Community Center is replaced with a Jorjamart warehouse, and all the bundles are purchased with gold.  I'm not sure if there are other differences.

I suggested to some of the others playing at work that if I were the developer, and the player purchased a Jojamart membership, I'd format their hard drive.

awesome, for real

I'm just about through winter, first year, and still ambling about.  I'm more of a miner than any sort of farmer.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 02:07:17 AM

Is there an undo function?

I've only played a few hours but so far if I crafted something I can't undo that. Since crafting stuff is just a single click action this gets really annoying. If your inventory is full for example you can't leave the menu until you destroyed the newly crafted item (or a different item).
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 04:01:58 AM

I've twice accidentally destroyed a newly planted fruit tree, which was super annoying.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 06:44:55 AM

Is there an undo function?

I've only played a few hours but so far if I crafted something I can't undo that. Since crafting stuff is just a single click action this gets really annoying. If your inventory is full for example you can't leave the menu until you destroyed the newly crafted item (or a different item).

The game only saves when you sleep so quitting out before sleeping is really the only way.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 07:01:28 AM

I planted a few fruit trees against the edge of the map so now I have to wait a month before I figure out if I screwed up or not  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm nearing the end of my first winter as well.  I spent most of it mining to make a hoard of sprinklers for the spring.  I also found cranberry wine and jam sell for a boatload of cash with the artisan perk so I've started up a room dedicated to making those.   Once blueberry season hits I'll save a bunch for the wine/jam making, I'm guessing those will sell as well.  No one wants the Salmonberry Jam apparently  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 07:33:15 AM

Just about to hit year 2, fall and I'm starting to find I have nothing left to spend money on. I've made so much money this summer (blueberries, star fruit wine/jam) and I had only allotted about half my farm to blueberry and star fruit production. The house is now fully upgraded, the barn and coop fully upgraded and filled with an even split of the animals for each (so I can get one of everything for shipping and achievement reasons). I have a fruit tree of every type, two silos, a stables and hardwood fencing around the various sections to limit grass growth. Only thing I have left to do is finish upgrading my tools from gold to iridium. I mean, I still have to hit level 25 of Skull Cavern, but money-wise there's nothing left for me to do really, which is somewhat of a let-down. Hell, I've even stock-piled 30 items for each villager that they 'love' for gift giving.

There really needs to some kind of re-balancing when it comes to the money. Once you get out of that first year and have that first winter to set everything up.. money will no longer be an issue ever again. I'm sitting on almost 200k cash and the only thing I buy now is more iridium sprinklers every Friday to make my farm even more efficient and cost effective. The jump from 'poor and struggling to find time to do everything' to 'rich and everything done by 1 pm' is insanely fast when it happens. Longest part of any day is when I go gift giving and have to chase everyone down.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 07:46:13 AM

I'm about halfway through my first autumn and my plan is also to spend the winter making sprinklers :) I'm watering (copper can) until 9:30am!

I hope the game doesn't get such a massive nerf because of the powergamers/min-maxers. I'm just at 10k but not sure I want to upgrade my house to a kitchen and blow all my bankroll on it. It's a great casual game, but I can see where if you try to power through it there isn't much there.

Best would be if he put in a couple game modes, a casual mode that's basically the current game (maybe with the fishing mod :)) and a hardcore mode that tweaks the configs to lower yields and crop/goods prices.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 08:05:52 AM

Or you could just realize that game balance is a stupid and pointless thing in single player. Just give people difficulty settings and let them do as they will.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 08:43:38 AM

It's not as uncommon as you think.

Binding of Isaac changed and nerfed a lot of stuff because the hardcore players complained about it on Twitter, Reddit, Steam and all of the other internet shitholes. Even games that only have daily challenges and leaderboards get flooded with demands for "game balancing" changes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 09:35:02 AM

It's not as uncommon as you think.

Binding of Isaac changed and nerfed a lot of stuff because the hardcore players complained about it on Twitter, Reddit, Steam and all of the other internet shitholes. Even games that only have daily challenges and leaderboards get flooded with demands for "game balancing" changes.
Or you could just realize that game balance is a stupid and pointless thing in single player. Just give people difficulty settings and let them do as they will.
Which is why I wrote what I wrote.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 09:52:57 AM

For those who didn't know, while using a watering can you can hold down the left mouse button to "charge" it and water more than one square a time.  Not sure if you knew that or not, Sky; it's something I didn't realize until after my first year.  It's still handy, even after sprinklers, because you often still have to water plants on the first day of the season.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 12:13:11 PM

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the copper can. It's good, but I've got about a full scarecrow's worth of crops this autumn.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 01:20:54 PM

Summer of 2nd year. I find it a relief to not have to fill the hay bins and water the crops. It still takes me about four days at the beginning of season to plant everything--I'm still stubbornly trying to grow the full range of crops. Have started experimenting with cooking. Still takes time in the morning to chase down all the animals to pet them and to milk the cows and goats.

Not sure what's useful about slime ranching so haven't even bothered thinking about that. Need to upgrade most tools past steel. Haven't really worked on gift-giving--I feel a bit of misanthropist, I don't like the townsfolk much. Also haven't really romanced anyone much as yet.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:04 AM

Way better than Harvest Moon.

Does the game keep track of who likes what gifts somewhere, or am I supposed to remember?

I am not sure how to use the Community Center to get the bundles. I can see the bundles but don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

Just started first summer.

Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: March 15, 2016, 08:28:13 AM

Way better than Harvest Moon.

Does the game keep track of who likes what gifts somewhere, or am I supposed to remember?

I am not sure how to use the Community Center to get the bundles. I can see the bundles but don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

Just started first summer.

You're supposed to remember. I just use the wiki.

For the bundles, when you have an item for a bundle you just go to the appropriate floor-plaque thingy, right click on it, select the bundle and then click and drop the item into one of the slots. For example, if you get a peach you'd go to the pantry plaque, right click it, click on the artisan bundle and then click the peach from the left side of the screen and drop it into one of the slots on the right.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: March 16, 2016, 07:30:26 AM

It's a bit clunky at times, in a very charming way.

Sometimes single crops simply vanish from one day to the next. Is this normal.

I have a stone fence with a gate and scarecrows (which claim they haven't encountered any bird yet) and yet sometimes when I start a new day a single crop is simply missing
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:36 AM

Is the scarecrow within 8 tiles or whatever of the crops that disappear?
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:53 AM

It's a bit clunky at times, in a very charming way.

Sometimes single crops simply vanish from one day to the next. Is this normal.

I have a stone fence with a gate and scarecrows (which claim they haven't encountered any bird yet) and yet sometimes when I start a new day a single crop is simply missing

Do you have scarecrows out? crows will pillage your fields and leave little missing plots.

Edit:Beat me to the punch
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:44 AM

Is the scarecrow within 8 tiles or whatever of the crops that disappear?

Yes
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 16, 2016, 08:54:20 AM

It happens. I've had it happen where a crop tile will go empty and is right beside a scarecrow. It's fairly rare, though. No idea on the cause, but I just assume an overly bold crow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stardew Valley  
Jump to: