Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stardew Valley 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stardew Valley  (Read 31077 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: March 03, 2016, 06:24:06 AM

Hard not to pay attention to this game. It's a Harvest Moon "clone" with a Terraria look, developed by one dedicated guy over four years. It is NOT Early Access, the game is ready, done and rich with everything you'd expect, so all the activities, seasons and a lot of NPCs with their daily schedules, dialogues, interactions, romantic options and all. Seems impossible to dislike it if you are into the genre, the Steam consensus is overwhelming (98%) and a lot are tossing around the fact that it is just better than all the Harvest Moons.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:41 AM

Bought it on Saturday afternoon and already have 30 hours into it. Totally hooked.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:28:07 AM

I never got into the Harvest Moon thing but was always interested. Timing is good because I need some low stress mindless gameplay to mess around with. I will probably play it 'poorly', but for me it's just for decompressing after long days lately (work + school + studio + house hunting).

My first character is my favorite sprite, Busta (originally Busta Clubs of SimGolf), the afro-sportin' pimp of 'Da Farm'.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:28:27 AM

This game has devoured every bit of my free time.  Just finished my first full year and loved every minute.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 08:24:23 AM

Picked it up. Is there more storage available in your house somewhere? I saw the backpack upgrade but can't afford that; need somewhere to stash my wood/stone.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:25:42 AM

It has devoured more than just free time from me, I bought the game on Friday and by Tuesday evening I was at 45 hours played (about 1.5 game years), having skipped work for two days  ACK! Yesterday I finally had to go back to work, but I expect a lot more hours this weekend...

I don't think any game has been this addictive for me except maybe the early days of Ultima Online. It's a bit surprising, because while I did play some Harvest Moon games in the past, I lost interest pretty soon each time. But this game is just so exceptionally well made and has an incredible amount of content. Great soundtrack too. And all of it created by just one person.
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:02 AM

Picked it up. Is there more storage available in your house somewhere? I saw the backpack upgrade but can't afford that; need somewhere to stash my wood/stone.
You can craft more chests, takes 50 wood per chest. You can also place the chests outside.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:37:27 AM

Yeah, I have a chest for every category of item: foraged goods, crops, seeds, etc.  Sometimes two.  It's a problem.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:06 AM

Yeah, I have a chest for every category of item: foraged goods, crops, seeds, etc.  Sometimes two.  It's a problem.
So just like Ultima, or even Minecraft  why so serious?
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 10:01:08 AM

Yeah, apparently my hoarding instincts are just as strong as they were in '98.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:02 AM

Someone created a farm planning tool, it's a work in progress but already very useful:

https://stardew.info/planner/

My farm / building placement is such a mess currently that I'd like to reorganize most of it. Demolishing and rebuilding upgraded buildings is expensive though, I hope I can gather enough resources for it during winter (dungeon season).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:04:00 AM by jth »
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 01:33:53 PM

I imagine at some point there will be three or so copies owned in my house. Harvest Moon has been a longtime popular game with the children, and I enjoyed the Harvest Moon: Rune Factory game I played.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 02:14:29 PM

Got pretty far into the mines, and...

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:36 PM

So. Help me with fishing. Can't make it work for anything but the very easiest fish, either with the mouse or controller.

Speaking of controller, this game works fairly well with my Moonlight setup playing on my tablet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 09:45:52 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:05 AM

Triple post?

This game just became fiancee approved last night, she loves the music while she's on her laptop. So that's probably a bad thing for my productivity.

After playing with the controller on the tablet, I think I prefer it for all but the farming bits, even on the big screen.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:23 AM

What do people think about replayability here?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 10:17:49 AM

Days are way too short!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 12:14:04 PM

Days are a bit short. I'm constantly making it home with 10-20 minutes to spare. I believe that's moddable, but I want to spend at least the first year playing it normally.

Replayability? I'm a looong way from worrying about that, but the folks with 100+ hours in already can chime in :)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:16 PM

Video games are weird sometimes, I'm at work thinking about going home to play a game all night that largely just emulates tedious farming chores over and over every day.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I haven't looked but supposedly mods already exist to adjust how long your days are if anyone wanted to go that route.

*edit* - Lots of random stuff here, but looks to be largely just image replacements and changes - http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/mod-list-modding-guides-and-general-modding-discussion.106868/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:42:14 PM by Thrawn »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:49 PM

I found days to feel pretty short early on, but as I got further along that largely stopped being an issue (except in the mines, where I never feel like I have enough time to progress as much as I'd like to). Once you unlock and can build the second tier sprinklers, as well as using crops that can be harvested multiple times per season.. you start having a fair bit more free time as you aren't wasting it on watering and planting.

I'm only half-way through summer in year one, though, so maybe there's additional time sinks once you get into livestock, which I've yet to delve into (just started building my first coop now that I've gotten a silo filled up).

I'm enjoying the game.. a fair bit more than I expected, although it could use a couple tweaks here and there.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 11:29:07 PM

Yeah, the copper water can and regrowth crops really save time. I'm in the fall now, and I'm pretty much all-in on berries. Bought a few strawberries at the fair, and they made more money than anything else. Too bad I didn't stock up for next spring. But the summer blueberries and fall cranberries are making huge profits for not a lot of upkeep. Plant them in rows of three or six for quick watering.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 05:58:40 AM

I felt the days were short as well until my first winter.  During that season I was able to explore the mine a bit more and built eight quality sprinklers.  Once I installed them and used them for Spring I had tons of time since I didn't have to water everything every day.  Now I'm in my second winter and have eighteen quality sprinklers and eight iridium sprinklers; can't wait to see how much I can grow in the spring.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 09:21:22 AM

so maybe there's additional time sinks once you get into livestock

They can be a significant daily time sink, and compared to farming not really that good time spent / money earned ratio. I currently have 4 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 cows, 2 goats and 2 sheep, and I'll definitely get rid of some (or most) of them before getting any pigs or rabbits. At this setup it's often 2 pm until I get all daily duties done, and I have full automatic watering for crops.

My morning routine:
- Talk to spouse, kiss spouse
- (Until they fix the "house is a mess" AI problem: every 3rd day, give spouse a gift)
- Talk/play with kids
- Collect keg/jar products and refill
- Pet cat
- Fill cat's water bowl
- Every 2nd day, pick mushrooms from the cave
- Pet and milk the cows
- Pet and milk the goats
- Pet and shear the sheep
- Open barn door unless raining or winter
- Pet the chickens and ducks
- Collect eggs
- Open coop door unless raining or winter
- Collect mayo, cheese and cloth from previous day
- Insert eggs into mayo machines, milk into cheese presses and wool into looms

- Collect fruit and tapper products from trees
- Collect honey
- Fix fences
- Collect crops
- Plant more crops if needed
(- Misc farming duties)
- Sell everything

Evening:
- Close barn/coop doors (not much, but  forgetting it will result a chaotic morning)

I know not all of those are absolutely necessary each day, but I tend to forget things if I don't have a routine.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 09:25:49 AM

Do you have a bot script for these?

- Viin
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 09:39:47 AM

so maybe there's additional time sinks once you get into livestock

They can be a significant daily time sink, and compared to farming not really that good time spent / money earned ratio. I currently have 4 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 cows, 2 goats and 2 sheep, and I'll definitely get rid of some (or most) of them before getting any pigs or rabbits. At this setup it's often 2 pm until I get all daily duties done, and I have full automatic watering for crops.

My morning routine:
- Talk to spouse, kiss spouse
- (Until they fix the "house is a mess" AI problem: every 3rd day, give spouse a gift)
- Talk/play with kids
- Collect keg/jar products and refill
- Pet cat
- Fill cat's water bowl
- Every 2nd day, pick mushrooms from the cave
- Pet and milk the cows
- Pet and milk the goats
- Pet and shear the sheep
- Open barn door unless raining or winter
- Pet the chickens and ducks
- Collect eggs
- Open coop door unless raining or winter
- Collect mayo, cheese and cloth from previous day
- Insert eggs into mayo machines, milk into cheese presses and wool into looms

- Collect fruit and tapper products from trees
- Collect honey
- Fix fences
- Collect crops
- Plant more crops if needed
(- Misc farming duties)
- Sell everything

Evening:
- Close barn/coop doors (not much, but  forgetting it will result a chaotic morning)

I know not all of those are absolutely necessary each day, but I tend to forget things if I don't have a routine.

You know, until you got to the "Pick mushrooms from the cave" part that's also my RL daily routine...

awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 09:46:47 AM

I like that this game works for the minmax crowd as well as folks like me that just kind of mess around. Hot peppers? Yeah, I'm having a hot pepper garden, too! Is it profitable? Don't care!

:)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:24 AM

Just one more day.....

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 08:14:57 AM

Just one more day.....
No shit.

"Ok, I'll save after this day." Three days later....
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 08:37:26 AM

Of the few interactions I have seen with the villagers I was really impressed by how funny or deep they can get.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 09:15:42 AM

I'm a hermit, just like in reality  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I do give food to the homeless guy in the tent when I go to the mines. Just seems like the thing to do.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:04 AM

Yeah, Linus was the first person I befriended in the game.  I kept just handing him yams every time I passed his tent on my way to the mine.

There's even a PTSD moment with a character who returns home from a war.  It can be a surprisingly touching game.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 11:02:28 AM

All the character interactions are really well made. Especially after you have kids, the feels are stronger than in any Sims game so far. Just llittle things, but done so incredibly well.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 02:49:57 PM

Is there a way to get seeds other than buying them or whacking bushes?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:19 PM

There is a machine you can create later on that consumes plants and in exchange you get a few seeds.  Also, if you do the foraging bundles in the community center you get a pack of thirty seeds that grow the foraged plants of that season.  In fact, as you increase in Farming those seeds become craftable if you have a full set of the foraged items for that season.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stardew Valley  
Jump to: