Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer 15/16 thread (aka let's talk about Leicester) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soccer 15/16 thread (aka let's talk about Leicester)  (Read 58629 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #105 on: June 22, 2016, 03:03:35 PM

I told my buddy before it started that I was going to head to the poker room once it was 3-0. Got there in time to see the 4th goal.

Messi is a goddamned wizard. Wow.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #106 on: June 27, 2016, 01:57:31 PM

Holy fuck Iceland.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #107 on: June 27, 2016, 02:07:06 PM

Go Iceland!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Then again, maybe England has reached that level of play where you could plant 11 trees as the opposing team and those would look like they are playing well and passionately.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:42 PM

and Hodgson resigned as England manager. Not a great week for England.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #109 on: June 27, 2016, 02:30:00 PM

England 1 - 2 Iceland

Someone please come up with a Brexit pun!

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:00 PM

and Hodgson resigned as England manager. Not a great week for England.

Well getting rid of hodgson is an improvement so it's not all bad

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #111 on: June 27, 2016, 04:05:05 PM

England 1 - 2 Iceland

We've had one, yes. What about second brexit?

-Rasix
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:14 PM

England 1 - 2 Iceland

The best one I've heard so far is that England are still allowing free movement of foreigners.  Mostly in the penalty box.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 27, 2016, 04:28:09 PM

"Could we play that again, we didn't think losing actually meant exiting the competition."
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 27, 2016, 04:45:12 PM

England beaten by a country with more volcanoes than professional footballers.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #115 on: June 27, 2016, 06:24:00 PM

What a terrible game for England and so emblematic of everything that's been wrong with Hodgson's time as manager of the national side. You have perfectly good, creative players who are apparently placed into very rigid, linear tracks and not allowed to step out of them. You also have players who shouldn't be on the pitch in the positions they are in (*COUGH* ROONEY *COUGH*). And you have tactics that it seems the manager has watched other managers pull off but without really understanding how those tactics work. And the result is dire football. BTW, this was what was wrong with his approach at Liverpool too, and he hasn't learned a goddamn thing.

Sterling clearly hasn't learned a thing since he left Liverpool either. He still can't cross worth a fuck. Rooney should be second striker not defensive midfield if he's on the pitch at all. Their formation has no width because both Rose and Walker aren't really that great. Clyne should have started or Betrand on the other side. And Joe Hart... woof.

New manager would probably help a fuckload though.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 28, 2016, 12:47:57 AM

"I haven't been this ashamed of england in days"

I can only agree with awful tactics and selecting players like harry kane and raheem sterling seemingly out of form certainly didn't help. Most of all I missed the central midfielders that could push the pace but that's more of a generation shift with the gap that lampard and gerrard left.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:53:09 AM by Gimfain »

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: June 28, 2016, 09:20:43 AM

Finally watched England/Iceland. A howler by Hart and then 60+ minutes of 11 monkeys trying to hump a doorknob. Wow.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #118 on: June 28, 2016, 09:48:56 AM

Rooney trying to play the Gerrard/Lampard role was just sad, and WTF was Harry Kane doing taking free kicks? So much wrong with that entire team from tactics to execution.

WayAbvPar

Reply #119 on: June 28, 2016, 03:10:28 PM

Wish Lampard was with England shitting the bed instead of scoring goals with his fucking hand v Seattle.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 28, 2016, 08:41:04 PM

and on Saturday Germany will lose to Italy. As usual. Germany has never won against Italy in any competition.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: July 01, 2016, 10:06:55 PM

Loving these results.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #122 on: July 01, 2016, 11:57:40 PM

The Wales/Belgium game was fun to watch. I think Wales is going to ROOFLESTOMP Portugal, for the same reason they beat Belgium. Belgium had a bunch of world class individual talents, and a coach who apparently doesn't know how to mold them into a team that can break down an organized defense (which is a recurring theme in football the last year). Portugal has one star and a bunch of mid-level talent built around massaging that star's massive fucking ego (though to be fair, Renato Sanches may actually be a star in the making). Portugal hasn't been able to win a game in regulation time this tourney. I actually think Wales may win 3-1 or worse.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #123 on: July 02, 2016, 01:39:50 PM

Oh FFS Boateng.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #124 on: July 02, 2016, 06:18:56 PM

Holy shit was that a negative, boring game. That was every bad stereotype about German and Italian football compressed into 120 minutes of suck. Also, learn how to take fucking penalties, FFS.

And yea, WTF Boateng.

Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: July 03, 2016, 01:37:38 AM

6 of the first 10 penalties were missed.  I don't remember ever seeing that happening before. The goalies got one or two but the rest were just howlers.

I liked how Conte subbed Zaza in for Chielini for the penalty shootout and then he does this:

And then Pélle managed to somehow do worse.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:40 PM

Wales please beat Portugal.  

You are the only team left worth rooting for.  
You have a red fucking dragon on your flag.
You gave us Tom Jones.

Cymru am byth !

EDIT: welp :(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:59:12 PM by Mac »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #127 on: July 06, 2016, 05:11:00 PM

There's the Joe Allen Liverpool fans all know and have been trying to get rid of for two seasons. Hey look, he gave possession away again! Wales really missed Aaron Ramsey and it's a damn shame they expanded the size of the tourney without changing how many yellows it takes to earn a suspension for the semis.

Also, fuck Ronaldo, that giant whinging egomaniacial cuntflap. That Portugal team is terrible and didn't deserve to be in this game.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: July 06, 2016, 05:40:03 PM

I don't get the hate of Ronaldo? He is generous and genuine in his charity work, isn't mixed up with tax dodging or sexual assault scandals like many other players, and is one of the best players ever to play the game.

So he has a high opinion of himself and hates to lose. Big fucking deal.

And they beat Wales fair and square.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #129 on: July 06, 2016, 06:11:47 PM

I don't get the hate of Ronaldo? He is generous and genuine in his charity work, isn't mixed up with tax dodging or sexual assault scandals like many other players, and is one of the best players ever to play the game.

So he has a high opinion of himself and hates to lose. Big fucking deal.

And they beat Wales fair and square.

His neck bothers me. It's like he has an extra vertebrae or something.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #130 on: July 06, 2016, 06:28:41 PM

He is a whiny, egotistical fuck who dives like a bitch and continually flashes his doucheface at the refs to try to win penalties. He appears to give no fucks about his teammates and clearly demands teams be built around him, whether that's to the betterment of the team or not.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 06, 2016, 07:04:11 PM

He is a whiny, egotistical fuck who dives like a bitch and continually flashes his doucheface at the refs to try to win penalties. He appears to give no fucks about his teammates and clearly demands teams be built around him, whether that's to the betterment of the team or not.

That stuff about his teammates and teams isn't really true, though, is it? You just don't like his personality. Seems pretty shallow for someone who supposedly loves the game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #132 on: July 06, 2016, 07:17:46 PM

Oh he's a fantastic player, I don't begrudge his talent. As for the teammate stuff, there's enough rumor shit floating out there to think that yes, he is a terrible teammate. I think his ego was part of the reason for Mourinho's exit - those two massive egos left no room for anyone else on the team.

EDIT: For a counterpoint, look at a player like Messi who is at least as talented as Ronaldo. He doesn't seem to start any sort of drama (other than tax fraud but that's probably as much on his management as on him), doesn't get involved with the drama on the international team despite being shit on by that country and being their best player by a mile, and doesn't seem to mind playing on a team with other superstars.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:19:39 PM by HaemishM »

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: July 07, 2016, 01:43:02 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo is an egotistical narcissist. He's arguably a great player but he's a massive cunt to team managers and team mates if they're not doing what is best for CR7.

Off the pitch he seems to be nice but almost every sentence of him starts of with "I...." or contains a twist that makes everything about him. He's also always boasting about his own abilities or positive character traits. Take for example one of his statements to the press after last night's win against Wales: " I believe that we’ll win. With a lot of work, humility and the spirit of self-sacrifice, which I have always shown in my career, these sorts of things are doable.". The whole interview sounds great on a surface level because he's using words like team a lot but nearly every sentence ends up being about him at the end. About how great he is and how humble and disciplined and how much he deserves to win.

God help anyone who's not giving 100% to help him achieve greatness though.

He lacks any sort of self critique. If his team wins it's because of a team effort he captained, he was responsible for and that he made special because of his talent. If his team loses he's the first one to throw his team mates under the bus and blames everyone else for a bad performance, except himself. That mindset also makes him prone to choke very very hard if things don't go his way and he can't figutre out why. Because it can never be him that's to blame. He will try  to win by any means necessary and if a game doesn't go his way he can come completely undone.

He also promotes a culture of petty tackles, fouls and diving and has turned the Portugal national team into a bunch of diving cheaters.

It isn't even Ronaldo's fault. He is such a talent and his massive, massive ego comes from the fact that everyone has always told him just how special he is. He's like a lot of people that became famous at a very young age and are surrounded by people that only tell them how great they are.

His individual class and massive ego are a drag on any team he's a part of, though and he hasn't achieved nearly as much in his career that he would have wanted to because of that.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: July 07, 2016, 02:24:31 AM

If you think he went from a skinny teenager to the best/one of the best players in the world without the ability to take criticism, sacrifice, and work hard you have rocks in your head. Just because he isn't self-effacing doesn't mean there is nothing under the surface.

Yes, he has a high opinion of himself. Yes he hates losing and can be stroppy and ill mannered about it.

As for him being a leader in regards to petty tackles, or diving? Seriously, he is way down that very long long list.

He has achieved massive amounts in his career, one only has to look at his record to see that. Three champs leagues, many titles in two of the strongest leagues in the land, and he has played a key role (if not the key role) in all of them. He also has personal accolades out the ass.

Now he's into another major championship final with his country, which is effectively a minnow on the world stage, and has a chance to win (though I doubt they will).

I get that people find his personality annoying and grating, and there is no doubt he likes to think he is the most important person in the room. But that doesn't really say much to take away from his football ability.

He is not "arguably" a great player, he is one of the two greatest players in a long long time along with Messi, and anyone who can't acknowledge that despite any personal distaste for the man is no true football fan.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 07, 2016, 02:28:58 AM

Oh he's a fantastic player, I don't begrudge his talent. As for the teammate stuff, there's enough rumor shit floating out there to think that yes, he is a terrible teammate. I think his ego was part of the reason for Mourinho's exit - those two massive egos left no room for anyone else on the team.

EDIT: For a counterpoint, look at a player like Messi who is at least as talented as Ronaldo. He doesn't seem to start any sort of drama (other than tax fraud but that's probably as much on his management as on him), doesn't get involved with the drama on the international team despite being shit on by that country and being their best player by a mile, and doesn't seem to mind playing on a team with other superstars.

I think he might not be the most easy person to play with in a club basis, unless you're in his corner, but once you get on the pitch I think he plays hard and fair for the team.

As for Messi, yes, he seems like a lower maintenance person (maybe a bit too introverted - the captaincy seems to weigh very heavily on him). But that really just feels like a personality thing. Ronaldo seems to be a genuinely nice person in many ways (doesn't have tattoos as he gives blood twice a year, etc), despite the fact that he likes the fame and celebrity that goes with it.

Certainly on and off the pitch he is miles and miles ahead of players like Suarez and a great many others.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: July 07, 2016, 02:53:10 AM

Well, don't ask if you don't want to hear an answer you don't like then. Pulling shit like "those who disagree with me are no true fans of the sport" doesn't help either.

Frankly, I don't care if you bless my interest in the sport as being true or not, I'll still disagree. Cristiano Ronaldo is arguably one of the best players in the world. He has lots of raw talent and individual class but he's also pretty much an individualist due to his massive ego. This is not the best character trait to have in a team sport and it also precludes him from being a team leader (or even team player) because you can't effectively lead a team when you think the world revolves around you and everyone else is just an accessory to enable your great achievements.

CR7 is great when he can work in an environment that lets him be the star player and caters to his strengths and weaknesse. He doesn't handle situations that well where he needs to take responsibility or assume leadership though and he doesn't know what to do if his team doesn't function and doesn't perform to his expectations for any reason.

If that happens his style - shouting at team mates and managers for not doing things - makes things actually worse and he had quite a few key games where he completely fell apart because the team wasn't there for him and he had no idea how to deal with that. Ronaldo can be an actual liability if you know how to handle him on the pitch and how to press his buttons.

That's the problem with a player who has high individual class but also expects to be the star that everyone caters to.

For me that precludes him from being 'the best' or even top five. Especially when you compare him to Messi or Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: July 07, 2016, 03:02:48 AM

Let me put it another way.

What a national team like Portugal needs is a leader that can inspire confidence and shape a team's effort not a star player that has to be catered to. Ronaldo is much to ego driven to be a natural leader and yet his persona overshadows the rest of the team so completely that no one else will be able to step up to that position.

That's why the team succeeds and fails with CR7's performance on the pitch
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 07, 2016, 03:34:55 AM

What you're saying there is basically why I was happy for him to leave United back in the day, much to the chagrin of his enthusiasts. I have slightly rethought my position since though, I think he can have positive affect on his team with his single minded focus on winning and achieving high standards. On the pitch he can mostly have a positive influence on those around him. His antics do grate though.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:33 AM

I don't disagree.

It takes a special breed of players though for that positive effect to stick. If you have a team like Real Madrid or ManU where you have lots of indicidually talented players that can handle or match his ego it can become a big competition where everyone is feeding off of Ronaldo's bloody single-minded will to win. If you have an authority figure that has the management skills and, well, authority to handle all of that raw ego.

That's actually one of the huge accomplishments of Santos that he got Ronaldo to at least somewhat integrate into the team and to subordinate himself.

If you don't have the person that can temper Ronaldo's ego though and that can take over the responsibility of being team leader he's a liability.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Soccer 15/16 thread (aka let's talk about Leicester)  
Jump to: