Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Culling (Battle Royale gets a video game) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Culling (Battle Royale gets a video game)  (Read 2024 times)
Malakili
Terracotta Army

on: February 21, 2016, 05:33:25 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437220

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ol2BiUUJj0

This is yet another early access title, so I'm going to be cautious given how many times I've gotten burned by now, but damned if the video doesn't look like a lot of fun.

As a contestant in the deadly game of The Culling, you must explore, scavenge items, craft weapons, and build traps that will enable you to slay your fellow contestants and emerge victorious before the end of the round. Only with cunning, skill, and a little luck will you be able to prevail and survive the match.

The video says 16 players and 20 minute rounds, which feels just about right to me. My only concern is that if the map(s?) is too small, it might get kind of samey pretty quick.  But hey, as someone who likes death match games, this looks like it could be fun.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:20:46 PM

The first game of this sort that really nails it is going to be huge I think. H1Z1 has a half-assed at best version and that's already pretty popular.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:21:51 PM

It's success is going to rely solely on just how well they get melee combat down. The premise is cool, graphics look good but if the axe swinging is floaty and bullshit, no one will care.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:37 AM

All games have a version of it right now. Rust has official servers for it too and I must say it is pretty amazing. I agree, whoever nails down the formula first, meaning making the single game experience fun AND ALSO put in some sort of progression/unlock/persistent element (even if it's ony aesthetical and bragging rights) is gonna make a big break (and pave the way for the Blizzard Version in six years).

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:25 AM

Yeah, I think CS:GO has hunger games servers too.

That trailer looked like.. well, I don't think this will be the game to hit it big.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:03:20 PM

I've spent the whole afternoon playing CSGO Hunger games because of you. Fun, but shallow.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:17 AM

Looks like people are streaming this today: http://www.twitch.tv/lirik

Looks ok. I could see it being fun for a little while, but I am not sure how much longevity it has.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Culling (Battle Royale gets a video game)  
Jump to: