Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Zoolander 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zoolander 2  (Read 2624 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

on: February 15, 2016, 05:25:01 AM

Wow was this awful. I didn't walk away feeling bad, I got a few laughs in the theater but in retrospect it was all cheap jokes that I didn't really feel. The realization over the past 24 hours has been, "wow, that was really, really bad."

Nothing redeeming about it other than a few cameos, it was utterly predictable in its "plot" and the few jokes I did laugh at I can't even remember now. I take it back.. I remember Ben Stiller getting a knife to the face and I enjoyed that immensely.

Avoid if you have to pay real money to see it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:27 AM

I've never seen the first one and never understood the draw for it, nor why anyone would think it needed a sequel. Honestly, most good comedies shouldn't have a sequel because the good ones are usually so funny because you aren't expecting the jokes. Once you get into sitcom territory where the humor has to revolve around established characters and their catchphrases, you are asking for trouble, at least in a big box office way.

Not that I don't like sitcoms, they can be great fun but I'm also not asked to pay $11 for a ticket and 2 hours of my time to see them.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:48:20 AM

I really liked the first one but I do no understand a sequel beyond cash in. Some of the marketing has been good but nearly all the jokes in them have been complete retreads of the jokes from the first movie. That's nice in an SNL skit but not something I'd want to pay money to watch and not something I think I could take for a whole hour let alone a whole feature length.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:26:17 AM

I really liked the first one but I do no understand a sequel beyond cash in.
The first one was so dumb it was hysterical to me... but that was 10+ years ago and I too see no reason to do a sequel.  The wife wanted to see this and I made an excuse about how we should wait for video.  Probably a good thing we did.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:54 PM

This was like, the best move I've seen since Fury Road.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:07 AM

I really liked the first one but I do no understand a sequel beyond cash in...
So you have a full and complete understanding.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:44:05 AM

Yeah, this is Ron Burgundy all over again.  First one was fucking hilarious and original.  This one is a terrible decade later cash in.  Hollywood continuing the trend of having no ideas and raping Millennial childhood in an attempt for profits, instead of trying.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 12:43:30 PM

They'd be idiots not to make cheap knock offs and assume that name recognition alone will get them an audience and downstream sales.  This one tanked - horribly - and they're still going to make their money back in the end after streaming revenue, etc... 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 01:34:29 PM

Sadly, this was written and directed by the same group of folks who made the first Zoolander and Tropic Thunder.  Everything leading up to the release of the film led many of us to think it would be of the same quality.  Shame it didn't work out that way.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 01:50:22 AM

They'd be idiots not to make cheap knock offs and assume that name recognition alone will get them an audience and downstream sales.  This one tanked - horribly - and they're still going to make their money back in the end after streaming revenue, etc... 

A "cheap" knockoff isn't any cheaper to make than a good knockoff. A better script doesn't cost a lot more money. And this movie has a ton of cameos, which aren't cheap.

Making a sequel because it will make money based on name - sure. But while you're at it might as well at least try to make a good movie.

Yeah, this is Ron Burgundy all over again.  First one was fucking hilarious and original.  This one is a terrible decade later cash in.

Yet it was terrible. "People liked this scene because it was wacky and original - let's do the exact same scene again!!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:31:34 AM

Sadly, this was written and directed by the same group of folks who made the first Zoolander and Tropic Thunder.  Everything leading up to the release of the film led many of us to think it would be of the same quality.  Shame it didn't work out that way.

Clearly have lost their creative juices when they waded into sequel territory in the first place when it comes to a comedy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Zoolander 2  
Jump to: