Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 53153 times)
WayAbvPar

Reply #105 on: October 24, 2016, 08:40:19 PM

Same. I am glad one of these teams will win and end their streak. I am sure the Mariners will manage to out-streak them both when all is said and done. If they win a World Series before I die I may just keel over from shock.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 25, 2016, 10:02:48 AM

Mariners? Aren't they AAA ball?

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: October 25, 2016, 12:25:10 PM

Mariners? Aren't they AAA ball?

Yea were farm for Texas.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #108 on: October 25, 2016, 07:25:11 PM

I don't how you get to be a big-league ace without being able to make a pick-off throw to first. Mind boggling.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:08 PM

I don't how you get to be a big-league ace without being able to make a pick-off throw to first. Mind boggling.
he got rattled some time in the middle of this year and is having psychological issues.

Needs a shrink
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #110 on: October 26, 2016, 07:48:05 AM

It's only something that's happened the last few years. Also, he won 19 games this year and hasn't thrown a pick off throw to first since July, so it must not be affecting his performances all that badly.

He didn't pitch bad last night. Unfortunately, Kluber pitched out of his goddamn mind. Now though, we get to see if the rest of the Indians pitching staff can do as well.

Also, how about that Kyle Schwarber? Hasn't seen big league pitching (or really any significant human pitching) since April, comes in and is about 5 feet away from hitting a massive dong against one of the best pitchers in baseball. If that kid stays healthy and cuts down on the strikeouts, he will hit 40 homers a year in his sleep.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #111 on: October 26, 2016, 08:01:13 AM

Not even watching this... it just might give me a heart condition.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 26, 2016, 09:45:30 AM

Unfortunately, Kluber pitched out of his goddamn mind. Now though, we get to see if the rest of the Indians pitching staff can do as well.

Kluber has been great the entire playoffs. Don't underestimate the rest of the staff like Boston & Toronto did.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #113 on: October 26, 2016, 10:08:16 AM

I'm not, I know they are good. But they aren't Kluber good and the Cubs already showed in the playoffs what they can do to good but not great starters.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #114 on: October 30, 2016, 08:45:56 PM

That was a manly save. 100, 102, 101 on his last 3 pitches.  ACK!

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #115 on: October 31, 2016, 08:54:44 AM

I cringe every time I see Chapman in before the 9th. At some point, that motherfucker's arm is going to come flying off and stab someone like a spear.

Also, the Cubs cannot hit a goddamn breaking ball, which is pretty much what allowed the Mets to beat them last year. I'm dreading taking it back to Cleveland but at least then we'll have Schwarber.

Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 31, 2016, 10:08:28 AM

I cringe every time I see Chapman in before the 9th. At some point, that motherfucker's arm is going to come flying off and stab someone like a spear.

I would watch every single baseball game I could if this would be a possibility.  why so serious?

Want the Tribe to win, but told my buddy I'd be alright in taking this back to Cleveland if it means a chance for the Cubs to win it all. This is the year of the underdogs in the Series so I am fine with either, but more so with the Tribe. My Aunt and Uncle who have been Tribe fans since birth (1948 and 1946 respectively, ironically the last time the Indians won) are season ticket holders and pulled the short straw for the Series so they got the option for game 7 in their group... So if it comes to that, at least they'll get to go. I really hope not though...  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: October 31, 2016, 12:24:50 PM

I just want Joe Buck to stop slobbering all over the Indians.  He did the same thing to the Dodgers in the NLCS. 

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #118 on: November 02, 2016, 07:08:56 PM

Do the Cubs bump dicks for their HR celebration?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #119 on: November 02, 2016, 08:14:17 PM

Ohh fuck.

-Rasix
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: November 02, 2016, 09:50:52 PM

Is Haemish still alive or has he died from a heart attack?
Rasix

Reply #121 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:52 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah! Great game.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 02, 2016, 09:56:58 PM

You had one job Cleveland....

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 02, 2016, 10:30:15 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah! Great game.

Lead off home run... 4 errors... 2 runs score on a single passed ball... extra innings on game tying home run after an unlikely comeback... a rain delay.. Cubs win!?...

And to top it all off, the pitcher to record the final out was a Seattle fucking Mariner.

This game had everything.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 03, 2016, 12:48:14 AM

I wonder if Cub fans are going to be as annoying as Red Sox fans now that they've broken their "curse"? awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #125 on: November 03, 2016, 03:41:13 AM

It's like watching the Bengals or Browns.  Always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 03, 2016, 04:27:50 AM

The number of vomit pools I am going to have to dodge on the way to the office from my car today is going to be ridiculous.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: November 03, 2016, 04:38:19 AM

It's like watching the Bengals or Browns.  Always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You know how we do it. --Ice Cube

Shitty the Tribe lost, but holy shit what a fantastic game 7, winner take all. Shouldn't have happened, mind you, being up 3-1, but it is what it is. Can't be too depressed since the Cubs have gone so long without sniffing a baseball championship. Good on them - they were built for long stands and the Tribe just wasn't. Still made it a game though. Wait till next year is the motto in Cleveland and so it will continue.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #128 on: November 03, 2016, 05:45:23 AM

What has irritated my fellow Cincinnatians is that the Reds handed the series to the Cubs when we got rid of Chapman earlier this year. (Which people are STILL upset about.)

Happy to see he got a ring, though. Haroldis is a pretty amazing player even if he is one-trick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: November 03, 2016, 06:27:52 AM

I wonder if Cub fans are going to be as annoying as Red Sox fans now that they've broken their "curse"? awesome, for real

Yes they are. What's truly obnoxious is the Red Sox fans and media whining about how annoying the Cubs are now. Holy fuck shutup and let them enjoy it (and I'm a Red Sox fan).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #130 on: November 03, 2016, 07:14:16 AM

Great series, great game 7. Was leaning toward the Cubs, but would have been happy for the Tribe as well.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #131 on: November 03, 2016, 07:15:45 AM

Started my Curling league at 10:00 PM EST last night, was what - bottom of the 5th? Guys were bitching about the timing. I said to my third, "No worries, its baseball, it will still be on when we're done"

Two hours later, sure enough, game's still going. Go up to the bar for a beer. Finished the beer long before the game finished. Feel bad for you East Coasters.

That was the craziest wild pitch I've ever seen. Hard enough to hit the dirt, bounce off the catcher's face (clearly knocking him a bit loopy) and still reaching the backstop.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #132 on: November 03, 2016, 07:46:35 AM

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHERFUCKERS! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck you, Red Sox fans and fans of every other team, after 108 years, the Cubs get to be annoying douchenozzles to everyone for at least one goddamn day.  why so serious?

Holy shit, what a game. What a series. It was EXHAUSTING. You know why? JOE FUCKING MADDON. He tried to lose it. He really really tried to Dusty Baker this motherfucker so goddamn hard, but the Indians just wouldn't oblige him. And you know why? TERRY MOTHERFUCKING FRANCONA.

Let me just get this out of the way, I'm happy as hell the Cubs won. But holy shit, they should have lost due to all the bad pitching decisions Joe Maddon made in the last two games (and in some cases the whole goddamn World Series).

First off, Aroldis Chapman is an insane freak of a human being. However, he is a one-trick pony. All these pundits praising Francona and Maddon for riding the fuck out of closers for 2 and 3 innings need to absolutely shut their festering gobs. There is a REASON closers only go one inning, especially fireballers like Chapman. One, their entire physical training regime is meant for the sprint - 15-25 pitches and get them the fuck out. Yes, you can occasionally run them out there for 2 innings in a pinch. You cannot continue to put these guys into the game for 2-3 innings at a time in a compressed series against the same team and expect them to shut the opponents down every single time, especially when you are throwing them for more innings than they are used to. Why? For reason #2, if these guys were starters, they'd have 3-4 pitches. Good relief pitchers are lucky if they have 3 good pitches, usually they have a fastball and some kind of change of speed out pitch like a hard slider, a changeup or a split finger fastball. I don't care how hard you throw, if a batter sees that 100 mph fastball twice in a game for three straight games, HE'S GOING TO CATCH UP TO IT. It happened to every one of those relievers who were overused - Chapman, Miller, Shaw and Allen. This is especially true if you are facing some of the best hitters in the game which, in the World goddamn Series, you will be. The number of scrubs on those teams is much less than in the regular season.

Bringing Chapman in for 2+ innings on Tuesday was fucking idiotic, especially considering the Cubs had a 5-run lead. Then to bring him in again with a lead in the 8th and expect his arm to hold up enough to finish the game was just asking for him to get shelled. You could tell from the first pitch Chapman threw last night that his control was off and that he was gassed. He barely got out of the 8th. But then you compound it by keeping him on in the 9th. I say Maddon almost Dusty Baker'ed this thing because that's what Dusty Baker did to the Cubs in '03 - he rode Mark Prior until that kid's arm fell off. Maddon tried to do the same to Lester and Chapman and it blew up in his face. Why pull Hendricks in the 5th? Hendricks control was on point - he wasn't likely to throw a wild pitch and his ability to hold runners was pretty strong (based on the 2 pickoffs he made in the series). Lester, meanwhile, can't hold a runner to save his life, barely plays defense, can't throw to first and his stuff is tailor made to uncork a wild pitch, which is what he did and suddenly a 4-run lead goes down to 2.

But the Cubs won. I'm honestly not sure they would have if Cleveland hadn't lost 2 of their stud starters in the middle of September. Kluber clearly suffered from having to pitch 3 games in the series, 2 of them on short rest. He was not the same guy in game 7 that he was in game 1 or even 4. Meanwhile, the Cubs had 4 solid starters, all of whom did their jobs well. Hendricks could have gone 7 innings in my opinion, as he was not nearly as fatigued as Kluber. Even with that advantage though, Maddon's use of the bullpen was insanely risky. Thankfully, Francona did the same thing to his bullpen. I think both managers got caught up in being too clever and innovative and ignored good traditional baseball strategy.

Also, Kyle Schwarber is a goddamn beast and if he stays healthy and hits at least .250 against lefties, will be a bigger power hitter than both Bryant and Rizzo, even though is defense will look like a fat kid chasing a cake with legs.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #133 on: November 03, 2016, 10:58:19 AM

Grats to the Cubs. Terrible Braves got next in 3 years.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #134 on: November 03, 2016, 01:02:15 PM

Congrats Cubs!

I fuckin love baseball, and a big part of that is loving the mythology around it.  Somehow, the baseball gods always come through to support the most outlandish shit.  I thought nothing could beat Bostons ALCS win over the Yankees to eventually kill the ultimate curse.  Now the Cubs, most tragic team ever, beat it in a World Series that stands above almost all others.  Extra innings in game 7 where both teams score runs after the 9th, to kill a Century old curse.

Fuck all the haters, Baseball is America, and it's fucking exceptional.  Being unable to watch all of this live is EASILY my greatest regret of this job, no matter where the world I may be located.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #135 on: November 03, 2016, 01:26:40 PM

I'm pretty sure this World Series is the best goddamn thing to happen for baseball since the Red Sox broke their curse. The fact that ratings on a Sunday night WS game beat a Sunday night football game is just unheard of in the last 10-20 years. I'm sure it doesn't hurt at all that the players and manager for both the Indians and the Cubs are mostly young players who are clearly fun-loving kids who are totally getting off on playing the game of baseball. Guys like Kris Bryant and Rizzo are so marketable to Middle America, while guys like Javier Baez and Francisco Lindor are the perfect poster boys for minority outreach.

Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:41 PM

I have to call my aunt and uncle and see if they sold their game 7 tickets or actually went. I'm dreading it.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: November 03, 2016, 03:54:55 PM

Well, if the Indians had to lose the Cubs are about the only team I don't hate losing to, since I can sympathize with long championship droughts. It still hurts, but having the NBA title under our belts lessens the pain. If LeBron hadn't won one though this would've been an absolutely miserable year.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: November 11, 2016, 07:03:08 PM

Congrats, Braves fans.  Your team just signed...R.A. Dickey. ACK!  Make sure you get seats in the outfield bleachers so you have a chance to catch all those HRs he's going to give up. awesome, for real

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/ra-dickey-braves-1.3845272
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #139 on: November 11, 2016, 08:10:15 PM

AND Bartolo Colon, so the clubhouse better stock up on pork rinds and beef jerky.  why so serious?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016  
Jump to: