Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 53159 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #70 on: September 14, 2016, 03:25:38 PM

That pit is bottomless. It stares back with the hunger of ten thousand mouths, ravenous for the taste of soul-crushing despair.

And it whispers... "there's always next year."

Cthulu

Tribe vs Cubs. There can only be one!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #71 on: September 15, 2016, 06:47:15 AM

I'll be bandwagoning the Nationals (is it bandwagoning if I live in DC?) since Pittsburgh is pretty much done, too.  A DC/Baltimore World Series is too much to hope for, sadly.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: September 16, 2016, 10:44:33 AM

That pit is bottomless. It stares back with the hunger of ten thousand mouths, ravenous for the taste of soul-crushing despair.

And it whispers... "there's always next year."

Cthulu

I've stopped telling the husband that there's still plenty of time for the Cubs to choke.  It's no fun to ruin his hopes like this.

Still, the Cubs couldn't even win the division properly - they had to let the Cards do it for them.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

WayAbvPar

Reply #73 on: September 18, 2016, 09:53:24 AM

Talent is talent. Bad pitchers vs good hitters should be a bad combo for the pitching team.

Sure. But a fresh bad/OK pitcher is often worse than a tired good one. Add in the inability to get more than an at bat worth of looks, or even much of a "pass down information" and things get a lot harder real fast.

By this logic there should be no such thing as a bad relief pitcher, when in fact bullpens are teeming with them.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 19, 2016, 10:02:29 AM

Talent is talent. Bad pitchers vs good hitters should be a bad combo for the pitching team.

Sure. But a fresh bad/OK pitcher is often worse than a tired good one. Add in the inability to get more than an at bat worth of looks, or even much of a "pass down information" and things get a lot harder real fast.

By this logic there should be no such thing as a bad relief pitcher, when in fact bullpens are teeming with them.

There indeed are. But you're overselling the statement. Relief pitchers tend to fall off faster than starters and have generally worse stuff, but that doesn't mean that their one inning performance is necessarily worse than the 7th inning performance of a starter.  It also means that, if you're able to throw every pitcher in your bullpin you have a very high likelihood of getting out of each inning before those pitchers performance drops to dangerous levels.

edit: I mean if ballclubs could throw 9 pitchers per game they would do it. They can't not because starters are so much better than they want to throw them as much as possible, but because they would need to have 27 pitchers on their roster in order to meet rotational needs when they only have maybe half of that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:04:45 AM by Goumindong »
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 19, 2016, 10:10:28 AM

GO-odbye Tribe!  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #76 on: September 25, 2016, 11:00:22 AM

Marlins' Ace Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident.

24 years old. Fuck. Probably would have been a Hall of Fame pitcher if his health had held up. Sounds like the boat was going too fast and none of the guys on it were wearing safety vests.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #77 on: September 25, 2016, 11:07:03 AM

I'm so confused and just gut-punched by his death. He was a phenom that had a Cam Newton like smiling personality when he played. He legit loved his job more than half the highly paid guys taking the field. It fucking sucks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #78 on: September 25, 2016, 12:37:10 PM

Wow. I haven't heard of him, but that is terrible. What is it with MLB pitchers and boat accidents?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 25, 2016, 06:21:19 PM

Wow. I haven't heard of him, but that is terrible. What is it with MLB pitchers and boat accidents?

I remember the one involving Cleveland players in the early 1990's.  Sad times, esp. with Fernandez being so young.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 26, 2016, 12:57:50 PM

Marlins' Ace Jose Fernandez Killed in Boating Accident.

24 years old. Fuck. Probably would have been a Hall of Fame pitcher if his health had held up. Sounds like the boat was going too fast and none of the guys on it were wearing safety vests.

Hit a jetty going way to fast in the dark. They were wearing vests according to reports and it wouldn't have mattered. He was killed on impact, not by drowning.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #81 on: September 26, 2016, 01:01:42 PM

Guy was awesome.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #82 on: September 26, 2016, 01:27:22 PM

Yeah.... just fuck.  He was legit.

"Only the good die young." Can go fuck itself, and fuck 2016.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: October 09, 2016, 08:27:04 PM

Suck it Texas! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Jays win and sweep the series on an E 4.  Someone should tell RoughNuts Odour that it's better to get punched in May than knocked out in October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkjewgF8GQ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 08:42:29 PM by Ginaz »
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: October 10, 2016, 06:37:00 AM

I'm a Red Sox fan and I'd rather see a Tribe / Cubs WS. David Price is fucking awful.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #85 on: October 11, 2016, 01:17:06 PM

AL worked out exactly as I hoped it would (after the Mariners crapped their pants, that is). I am tempted to fly to NE and bathe in the tears of Red Sox fans.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:31 PM

Sad to see Ortiz finally go though.  I always liked that dude.

Also, I know the whole "torture baseball" thing with the Giants is a bit of a meme.  But fuck, it's true.  They are especially going out of their way this season to make everything gut wrenching.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: October 11, 2016, 01:51:24 PM

I hope they reverse sweep the Cubs so all these assholes around here with their stupid W flags can get bent.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

Reply #88 on: October 11, 2016, 01:52:35 PM

I just want them to lose already. I don't need to go through another even year post season of the Bum Gardener just winning every game while the rest of the team stumbles through a series.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #89 on: October 11, 2016, 01:57:17 PM

I hope they reverse sweep the Cubs so all these assholes around here with their stupid W flags can get bent.

You shut your dirty whore mouth.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 11, 2016, 02:03:50 PM

See, I'd really like to see the Cubs finally win.  Honestly.

But Giants are still somehow in it, so fuck off and die.   why so serious?

But like, oh man.  If we manage to bubblegum and duck tape our way to another World Series Win on an even year.  That's like, perfect baseball mysticism mumbo jumbo right there.  It would be epic.

-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #91 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:12 AM

LOL the Cubes finally pulled one out against the horseshoe up it's ass team. Good.

If they win it all Theo Epstein may never buy another meal in Chicago again for the rest of his life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #92 on: October 12, 2016, 07:21:59 AM

Buy a meal? Shit, if the Cubs win the series, that motherfucker will OWN that city or at least the north side.

What a game. I'm sitting there in the 8th inning getting all Cubs-pressed - you know, 'GODDAMNIT, here we go again" kind of thing. San Fran has been pushing the Cubs all night with nothing but single after single by these guys who are just no name scrubs other than Buster Posey and guy-who-looks-like-he-lives-under-a-goddamn-bridge Hunter Pence. Matt Moore is striking dudes out left and right and none of the Cubs' big name hitters are hitting diddly shit.

Then Bruce Bochy decides that changing his pitcher after every hit is a good idea and holy fuck. I realize he didn't have a closer (or a true power hitter) but goddamn. It was like ADHD manager here. There's matchups and then there's just jittery knee jerk pulling a pitcher. I don't know that any of those pitchers could have stopped the Cubs but that was an EPIC bullpen collapse that wasted what was otherwise a fantastic outing by a starting pitcher.

I just hope the Cubs big bats heat the fuck up because 5 of their first 6 hitters in the lineup are flailing. Also, can the Cardinals take Jason Heyward back? Jesus, motherfucker can't even put down a bunt worth a fuck, and it's only the fact that he can run fast that the Giants didn't turn 2 on his dumbass.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 12, 2016, 11:22:05 AM

AL worked out exactly as I hoped it would (after the Mariners crapped their pants, that is). I am tempted to fly to NE and bathe in the tears of Red Sox fans.

Honestly, I think people here are more sad about Ortiz retiring than being knocked out of the playoffs.

WayAbvPar

Reply #94 on: October 18, 2016, 12:29:06 PM

I can see that. Ortiz seems like a genuinely good guy (even if he is probably juicing).

Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: October 18, 2016, 01:37:29 PM

At the expense of screwing this post season up I'll just say...

Go Tribe!

Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 19, 2016, 04:59:55 PM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=25126.msg1434048#msg1434048

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Come on Chicago, make this fucking happen!

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: October 19, 2016, 06:14:44 PM

Bloody Cleveland getting greedy.

PLease please dont let the Dodgers into the WS. Cubbies vs Tribe would be awesome!

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #98 on: October 19, 2016, 08:47:55 PM

Definitely bandwagoning Cleveland now.  My lifelong Pittsburgher parents will be so disappointed in me.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:19 PM

I'm not mad Toronto lost.  I was actually surprised they made the playoffs and got as far as they did.  At least they beat Texas because fuck those guys. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #100 on: October 20, 2016, 08:12:51 AM

Cubs finally found where they left their bats.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Rasix

Reply #101 on: October 21, 2016, 08:38:11 AM

So close to having the best World Series ever. Also two games away from complete heartbreak.  So, there's that too.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 22, 2016, 09:12:04 PM

Fuck, I won't be able to even look at Facebook for the next month. And I am going to have to deal with near riots regardless of the outcome.

The Taking Care of Business versus Major League World Series.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: October 22, 2016, 09:15:07 PM

Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: October 23, 2016, 04:47:06 AM

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The Tribe has a slight edge over the Cubs in my 'who to root for' bucket. But I can say this, whoever wins the Series I'll be very happy for.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016  
Jump to: