Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 53158 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:31 AM

The minor leagues are very good for the Braves yes, we traded away everything for magic prospects.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 07:09:12 PM

Just getting this in before the storm clouds come...

Go Tribe!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 07:26:51 PM

The minor leagues are very good for the Braves yes, we traded away everything for magic prospects.

And apparently Bud Norris now as well. Was he doing all that great or just another warm body?

EDIT: Just looked at his stats. Warm body.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:28:23 PM by HaemishM »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 10:05:17 AM

Barely warm

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 10:09:18 AM

That could pretty much describe the entire Dodgers rotation outside of Kershaw. What's telling is that when Kershaw goes down, they don't have anyone remotely decent enough in the minors to call up for a fifth starter spot and have to make a deal for a barely competent swing man. If Kershaw is out for anything past the 15-day DL stint, that team may well be done, which may open the way for the Cards to make the wild card.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 12:45:59 PM

This MLB season has been really dull for me as a Braves fan because we suck. But even moreso because look at the races in the NL at the beginning of July:

The Nationals are up 4 games on the Mets with 50 wins. They are on pace for 95-100 wins. They will make the playoffs unless they hit an iceberg.
The Cubs are up NINE games on the Cardinals with 52 wins. They are on pace for 100 wins. They will make the playoffs unless they hit an iceberg.
The Giants are up 5 games on the Dodgers with 53 wins. They are on pace for 100 wins. They will make the playoffs unless they hit an iceberg.

Barring an epic fucking collapse the Dodgers are a lock for the Wild Card, and the next one down from there could go to the Mets, Marlins, Cards, or Pirates (likely Cards just because).

The playoffs will almost certainly be Nationals, Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, and one other team with the odds in favor of St. Louis because they've played weirdly shitty at home so far.

Last year it was Mets, Cards, Pirates, Cubs, and Dodgers in the playoffs
Year before that it was the Nationals, Cards, Pirates, Giants, and Dodgers in the playoffs

Basically, for the last 3 years if you're not the Nationals, Mets, Cubs, Pirates, Giants, Dodgers, or Cardinals, have a nice day in the NL. It's becoming absurdly predictable and boring. I keep hoping for some sort of shakeup, but it looks like the only team that could do that is the Marlins, and that's fucking laughable. There's 7 other teams in the NL who look like they have zero idea what they are doing: Braves, Phillies, Brewers, Reds, Dbacks, Padres, and Rockies.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:50:23 PM by Paelos »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 01:33:29 PM

I think the rest of the teams are either trying to follow the Cubs' blueprint (trade away everything and suck for a few years so you can draft shittons of talented position players) or they are the Pirates trying to squeeze one more year out of stars verging on the edge of free agency the team can't afford before blowing it all up and following the Cubs' blueprint.

As a Cubs fan, I don't give a shit because they Cubs are going to stroll to the playoffs. The thing I worry about is how long Fowler will be out because their offense has been shitty since he went down and their pitching is getting overworked.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 04:31:36 PM

Basically, for the last 3 years if you're not the Nationals, Mets, Cubs, Pirates, Giants, Dodgers, or Cardinals, have a nice day in the NL. It's becoming absurdly predictable and boring. I keep hoping for some sort of shakeup, but it looks like the only team that could do that is the Marlins, and that's fucking laughable. There's 7 other teams in the NL who look like they have zero idea what they are doing: Braves, Phillies, Brewers, Reds, Dbacks, Padres, and Rockies.

5 team divisions means that it usually is a more interesting wild card race than divisional race, and this year is bearing that out.

Plus, I think Cubs, Nats & Giants are head & shoulders better than the remainder of their divisions. Mets might give Nats a tussle in the end, because it seems that Nats usually implode end of season -- it just a matter of it happening in Aug/Sept v. October. And Mets are blessed with a rotation as solid as Nats & if they can get some production out of some other guys besides Walker, Cespedes (via trade), they might wrestle division away.

At beginning of season, I predicted Pirates would lose WC game again, this time to Mets & Syndergaard. We're on the outside looking in right now, but if our bullpen holds up and if we can get another good starting arm, we could displace the Cardinals. A sleeper pick is definitely the Marlins -- they're a good young team but they might not have enough depth. Dbacks have some lively bats but the pitching just hasn't worked out like Mr. Baseball & gang planned.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 07:21:01 PM

Even though he hasn't pitched too badly this year for the Jays, I can't wait for R.A Dickey to leave Toronto so they can finally get rid of his "personal catcher" Josh Thole and get a real back up catcher.  That man can not hit for shit.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 01:53:23 PM

The Mets can't hit. This alone will give them issues in the WC race because the Cards can slug the shit out of the ball. The only issue with the Cards is they are absolute DOG ASS at home, and there's zero reason for it.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:21 AM

Saw Edwin Diaz pitch an inning against the Jays on Friday, that kid has star written all over him. Going to be a treat  to watch going forward.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 07:32:08 AM

Chris Sale is also apparently a 16 year old girl about his wardrobe choices.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 09:30:16 AM

I think part of that tantrum may go back to the whole Adam Laroche's kid not being allowed in the clubhouse thing from spring training. I could be wrong, but I thought Sale had a big issue with the Sox telling LaRoche not to bring the kid to the clubhouse.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: July 25, 2016, 03:02:14 PM

OH HELL YES. Cubs trade for Aroldis Chapman.

Cubs get a legit, top level closer for their top propsect (A 19 year old shortstop in A Ball), 2 minor league outfielders, and Adam Warren, who had an era this season approaching 6. I'm completely ok with this trade.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:09 AM

Cubs are going for it. Their window is going to be small before retooling some contracts that come up in 2017 and 2018. And I think they are recharging the farm system since they called most of them up.

So we'll see. I hope they win it all now.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #50 on: July 26, 2016, 09:50:30 AM

The only thing I worry about with the Cubs is the arms in their farm system. I hear no chatter whatsoever about their top-rated prospects being young arms, and their rotation is certainly not young. Lester and Lacky are both 0-3 years from being on the severe downhill slope for pitchers, and Hammel and Arrieta ain't no spring chickens. But if they win it all this year, that won't matter nearly as much.

Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:27 AM

Well now that the city of Cleveland actually won something, I'd be willing to go with the Cubs - but only if the Tribe fizzle out and don't make it. Cubs/Indians Series would be pretty cool.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 11:32:23 AM

That would be such a confluence of pent up bad luck and self-loathing that it might open up a black hole in the 9th inning of game 7 so that humanity never gets to see the result.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 31, 2016, 03:19:42 PM

How are the Jays doing, any shot at winning?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: August 31, 2016, 03:24:52 PM

They are on top of the AL East right now by I think 2 games.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 03:38:53 PM

So decent chance then eh?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #56 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:16 AM

This is your year. If the Royals can, anybody can.

Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 02:56:43 PM

Go Tribe!

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 05, 2016, 04:28:56 PM

Holy fuck are the sports injuries shitty this year. Shoemaker got creamed. Yikes.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: September 05, 2016, 06:33:18 PM

Saw that one. It was a fucking horrible injury.

WayAbvPar

Reply #60 on: September 06, 2016, 02:54:33 PM

Saw it live. Was horrified. And then horrified again when the Mariners couldn't hit off the goddamned reliever either. Unless they find Ponce de Leon's map, they are fucked very soon. Cruz and Cano are approaching rapid falloff ages, and Felix has several million miles on his poor arm already.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 11:59:58 AM

Saw it live. Was horrified. And then horrified again when the Mariners couldn't hit off the goddamned reliever either. Unless they find Ponce de Leon's map, they are fucked very soon. Cruz and Cano are approaching rapid falloff ages, and Felix has several million miles on his poor arm already.

Since when were we not fucked? This is our best season in 14 years and we're third in the division.

That being said the Angels threw their entire bullpen against us. Its not really a surprise that we had a hard time hitting them. They used 8 pitchers in 9 innings.
WayAbvPar

Reply #62 on: September 08, 2016, 07:00:23 AM

That is my point. The Angels pitching staff is atrocious. Even if a couple are decent, they had a shot at basically every reliever on the team and just filled their pants.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 10, 2016, 12:12:11 PM

That is my point. The Angels pitching staff is atrocious. Even if a couple are decent, they had a shot at basically every reliever on the team and just filled their pants.

Pitching doesn't really work like that. You need time to get used to pitchers (or luck). Even if your staff was bad if you could throw a new arm every inning you would do a lot better than a strong club that had to rely on starters going 6+
WayAbvPar

Reply #64 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:33 AM

Talent is talent. Bad pitchers vs good hitters should be a bad combo for the pitching team.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 14, 2016, 12:57:28 PM

Talent is talent. Bad pitchers vs good hitters should be a bad combo for the pitching team.

Sure. But a fresh bad/OK pitcher is often worse than a tired good one. Add in the inability to get more than an at bat worth of looks, or even much of a "pass down information" and things get a lot harder real fast.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #66 on: September 14, 2016, 01:24:15 PM

The Braves have been eliminated from the playoffs since May so I'm not sure who to root for this year other than the Cubs, who will likely fuck it up in the divisional round.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #67 on: September 14, 2016, 01:29:16 PM

You shut your dirty whore mouth, monkey.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #68 on: September 14, 2016, 01:39:42 PM

You shut your dirty whore mouth, monkey.

I'm only speaking from that place you know is there in the pit of your soul that you're trying to tell to shut up.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #69 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:03 PM

That pit is bottomless. It stares back with the hunger of ten thousand mouths, ravenous for the taste of soul-crushing despair.

And it whispers... "there's always next year."

Cthulu

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016  
Jump to: