Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 53151 times)
WayAbvPar

on: January 06, 2016, 03:41:51 PM

HOF voting is done. Griffey and Piazza are the only 2 that made it in. Somehow Griffey was left off of 3 ballots. They should literally lose their votes. The whole strategic "use the vote for Griffey on someone else because he is getting in anyway" is complete bullshit. You vote for the best players. Period.

I am not just a hometown fanboy (he isn't even my favorite Mariner)- the guy was the best player on the planet for a decade. I have always wondered how his 30s would have gone if he stayed in Seattle (or another AL city) and had a chance to DH a couple of times a week to cut down the wear and tear on his body. His career numbers might have been eye-popping.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:16 PM

He would have clearly been one of the best had he not gone to Cincy. And yes, there shouldn't have been a single person without him on the ballot. But as has been demonstrated many times, the HOF voters are shittards.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:14:20 AM

He would have clearly been one of the best had he not gone to Cincy. And yes, there shouldn't have been a single person without him on the ballot. But as has been demonstrated many times, the HOF voters are shittards.

Yep, there's guys that didn't vote for Babe Ruth, there's guys that didn't vote for Hank Aaron, there's even guys who didn't vote for Greg Maddux. It's insane.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:55:07 PM

Junior was a beast and probably would have gotten the HR record if he hadn't turned into such a China doll after he went to the Reds.  Considering he spent half his career hurt, he was a shoe in and anybody who didn't vote for him should have their voting rights taken away and then kicked in the nuts repeatedly.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:08:42 PM

Junior was a beast and probably would have gotten the HR record if he hadn't turned into such a China doll after he went to the Reds.  Considering he spent half his career hurt, he was a shoe in and anybody who didn't vote for him should have their voting rights taken away and then kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

We did that to him. All that time running on cement :(
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 09:32:06 PM

So it looks like "The Cardinals Way" includes being convicted of computer hacking. awesome, for real Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/christopher-correa-pleads-guilty-to-hacking-astros-1.3396427
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 01:34:45 PM

Somebody tell our resident Toronto fan they might actually win it all this year.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 01:16:02 PM

I have been a Toronto fan since the Expos left. Their batting order is scary good.

The pitching is iffy, but Stroman seems like the real deal. Worst case they just need to score 10 runs every game, which seems do-able.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:29:33 PM

Felix Hernandez is only Opening Day starter in last 100 years to lose while allowing 1 hit or fewer in 6+ IP.

Ladies and gentlemen- The Seattle Mariners. Also known as the MLB version of the Cleveland Browns.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:38 PM

Somebody tell our resident Toronto fan they might actually win it all this year.

I'll get the wagon ready  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 08:17:52 AM

Felix Hernandez is only Opening Day starter in last 100 years to lose while allowing 1 hit or fewer in 6+ IP.

Ladies and gentlemen- The Seattle Mariners. Also known as the MLB version of the Cleveland Browns.

I saw the highlights on this game. Holy shit. One inning with two routine ground balls horribly misplayed, too many walks (understandable given how fucking shitty the defense is behind the pitcher, he probably feels the need for every pitch to be perfect) and one bloop single and game over. /sadf

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:53:41 AM

Braves were of course the team that had the first Chase Utley slide rule into second base fuck them. Because that's our lot in the rebuilding year.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:37 AM

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/170622448/new-slide-rule-impacts-blue-jays-rays-ending

Fucked the Jays last night too, ruined a game. What a dumb rule. It tries too radically to go against the natural flow of play. It's one thing to make it a penalty to the guys who were going 4 feet off the base with their cleats up in air to clobber the baseman, it's another now that the runner basically has to tuck in and move to avoid even if his feet are coming straight into the base, cuz he can't touch the baseman at all, the burden is completely on him. Meanwhile the other guy doesn't even have to try and move.

Reminds me of the "toe in crease" rule that almost ruined a Stanley Cup Final in hockey, but to salvage the situation the league just ignored their own dumb rule.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:56 AM

It's a dumb rule, but it's easily avoided if you just slide like you do when you're stealing second. You never try to slide off the freaking bag there because you're out. That's only what they try to do in a double play, and it's a very conscious decision by the runner. They'll learn they just need to hold the bag if they make contact with the fielder. That seems to be the defining part of the rule, did they hold the bag.

Honestly, the more I know about the rule the less I'm likely to worry about it. Just don't overslide like a tit.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 04:19:04 AM

Reminds me of the "toe in crease" rule that almost ruined a Stanley Cup Final in hockey, but to salvage the situation the league just ignored their own dumb rule.

THE SABRES WERE ROBBED!!!!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:07:21 AM

It's a dumb rule, but it's easily avoided if you just slide like you do when you're stealing second. You never try to slide off the freaking bag there because you're out. That's only what they try to do in a double play, and it's a very conscious decision by the runner. They'll learn they just need to hold the bag if they make contact with the fielder. That seems to be the defining part of the rule, did they hold the bag.

Honestly, the more I know about the rule the less I'm likely to worry about it. Just don't overslide like a tit.

Its not even a dumb rule. It protects middle infielders from unnecessary danger. Listen to Baustista try to justify his actions "I felt like contact was still OK and like obstruction was still ok". And well no, its not. Technically the rules didn't even change, its just that, at second base, everyone kind of ignored the rules because reasons.

This is the rule before this season

"Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate." Such, Bautista is out. There was more or less a dumb, unwritten rule, that this was OK at second base. This is clarified:

4 is the most relevant point. You do not get to reach out to interfere with another player. You go straight into the bag and can obstruct only if the fielder hits you. Bautista changed his slide in order to interfere with the fielder. Such he is out and the runner who the play is being attempted on is out. Additionally 3 is relevant. Bautista makes no attempt to stay on the bag. So any contact here is again obstruction.

It was a clearly illegal play that creates danger for the fielder unnecessarily.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 12:19:13 PM

This is a crude and unnecessary smear on the Browns.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 03:19:10 PM

Watch it....

And go Tribe.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 09:42:48 PM

Heart

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 12:27:03 PM

Right thing to do would be to trade Felix away to a winning team for 2 hamsters and a corn dog. Jesus fuck, the Mariners blow. End that poor boys suffering.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 04:27:47 AM

Jays still winning?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:23 AM

Jays still winning?

3 in a row now!

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 05:43:50 PM

Woot!

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:14 PM

Hopefully John Farrell gets fired soon. No cancer to save him this time (yes im going to hell)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 02:34:42 PM

Howard Lincoln stepping down today. Good fucking riddance. He and Chuck Armstrong held the whole organization back for decades. Hopefully the new CEO actually gives a fuck about winning instead of filling the stands with families (and not sports fans).

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 02:56:37 PM

Braves lost 9 in a row, then won 4 in a row, and have now lost 7 in a row.

Andrew McCutchen has more homers this season than the entire Braves team. They set a franchise record for longest stretch without a homer at 15 games.

And yet, Fredi Gonzalez still has a job. I get that it's a rebuild, but there are several times this year where his dumbass management of PH and the bullpen have cost us games. And when you have 4 fucking wins near the end of April? Somebody has to go.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 03:24:04 PM

Gonzalez is probably safe. The Braves are clearly tanking as hard as possible to get draft picks and young talent, and save on salary while doing so.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 07:10:40 PM

Gonzalez is probably safe. The Braves are clearly tanking as hard as possible to get draft picks and young talent, and save on salary while doing so.

Never thought I'd ever hear that.  How many times have they made the playoffs in the past 25 years?  I mean they only have the one World Series win (suck it Jane Fonda, Go 1992 Jays!!! tomahawk chop that, bitch) but they were pretty consistent winners over the years.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:20 AM

This is a few days old now, but in case you didn't see it yet: White Sox get a Triple Play against the Rangers.

According to a couple articles I read, it's the first 9-3-2-6-2-5 triple play ever recorded  ACK!

Good defense by the Sox, but probably just a single play without the baserunning screw-ups by the Rangers.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 07:27:53 AM

Never thought I'd ever hear that.  How many times have they made the playoffs in the past 25 years?  I mean they only have the one World Series win (suck it Jane Fonda, Go 1992 Jays!!! tomahawk chop that, bitch) but they were pretty consistent winners over the years.

Yeah crazy, it would be like the Detroit Red Wings tanking.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:01 AM

Frank Wren burned down the franchise with horrible FA signings for massive money.

Dan Uggla
BJ Upton
Justin Upton (he was okay)

Then without that money we lost Jason Heyward, and had to trade Andrelton Simmons, Craig Kimbrel, and Shelby Miller to get anything back and out from under the bad contracts. Wren was fired and the farm system was in shambles before we restocked it with talent.

The Braves will be fine by 2018, but it's a shit show until then. And Gonzalez is on a one year deal, I don't think he sets foot in the new stadium.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 11:43:56 AM

If he's on a one-year deal then he's safe. There's no reason to fire him if you already know the team is going to stink no matter who's managing it, and you end up having to pay a guy to not manage. Let him do his best and reevaluate at the end of the season.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 01:53:06 PM

Welp, shit... I was dead ass wrong. Braves fire Fredi González today, will promote their Triple-A manager to be interim skipper.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 08:43:49 AM

Welp, shit... I was dead ass wrong. Braves fire Fredi González today, will promote their Triple-A manager to be interim skipper.

We had the worst record for a team since 1911. That's before the Titanic sank. Yeah, he had to go.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:44 AM

Not really sure what he could do with that team, considering they've traded away every star/potential star they had for fuckall. Is the minor league even stacked at this point? I should know this, seeing as how their Double-A affiliate is a few miles down the road from me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2016  
Jump to: