Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:46:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens.  (Read 130333 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:06 AM

Reportedly, Ford is in the next movie.  Maybe a dream, a flashback, or something else... but there is always room for him to have been saved somehow. 

One potential theory is that there was a reason why we didn't see Phasma escape - because she had Solo's body (in stasis or something?) as she escaped.  She has been called the Boba Fett of this series - and Boba Fett was a character without allegiance to anyone but himself.  AAs she was personally responsible for the destruction of Star Killer, she might hope to trade Solo to the rebels for sanctuary from a pissed off Empire (seriously - when your boss can read your mind, how the %$#!@ can she return to the Empire?  Plus, getting her into Rebel hands gives her more chances to interact with Finn, which is a natural evolution as she seems to be his personal foil).  Also, they did make a big deal about sending her *down* a garbage chute - so in theory she'd have been down there with the body...

Given the Ford infamously wanted Han Solo to die in Jedi, it would be a pretty solid mislead that they knew people would buy into easily.  There is also the continuing parallel with Empire - the heroic figure wounded by a light saber falls from the metal platform into the obscured depths below - the villain assumes he is dead... but he somehow survives.  Leia's reaction plays against this theory (which would be a stretch even without her reaction), but the reaction could be to the strong emotions of father and son at that moment. 

It isn't the strongest theory, but I don't think it out of the realm of possibility.  I'm now ready to accept the sudden and inevitable criticism, despite me saying it isn't the strongest theory. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: January 26, 2016, 09:08:13 AM

It's just kind of goofy. One might as well "theorize" that Supreme Leader Snoke is actually a projection being operated by Count Dooku, whose head was frozen cryogenically and then attached to a military droid. There's only a few things that the film is actually inviting you to geek out about in between now and the next installment: what's going to happen when Ren and Luke talk? Who are Ren's parents/family? What will "completing his training" mean for Kylo Ren? Who or what is Supreme Leader Snoke and what's his motivation? What will Finn do after he heals? What's next for the First Order, the Republic and the Resistance?

"Maybe Han Solo isn't dead" is not a thing that the film is inviting you to think about.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: January 26, 2016, 09:15:31 AM

"Maybe Han Solo isn't dead" is not a thing that the film is inviting you to think about.
... and that is kind of the point.  If they invite you to think about it, then it isn't a surprise during the reveal, and JJ (and Star Wars) love surpises.  He isn't directing the next movie, but he knew the plans for the next movie when he was writing this one.  The best twists are ones where there are hints all over the place that people only pick up on *after* the reveal when you go back and rewatch. 

I don't think this is a hugely likely scenario, but there is at least some sense to it.  Your Dooku example ... not so much. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: January 26, 2016, 09:39:07 AM

If the "reportedly" is linking back to this, that just seems to be just a misspeak by Kennedy or avoiding spoilers, honestly.

beer geek.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #704 on: January 26, 2016, 09:40:57 AM

Just how many sharks are getting jumped from now till 12/2017?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #705 on: January 26, 2016, 09:42:09 AM

Articles are also citing the Casting Call memo for EP8 which indicates Ford will be returning as Solo.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12/star-wars-episode-viii-casting-new-lead-and-supporting-roles.html

I'm going with bit part in a flash-back during Ren's training and/or the reprise of the Jedi Academy slaughter by Ren. Nothing more.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: January 26, 2016, 09:51:40 AM

Bringing Han back is one of those thing you would see in a comic, a terrible comic with shit writers. Retconning an on-screen death like that destroys the ability for your story to have any dramatic tension at all.  You simply cannot set up a death with such finality and then say "Well...actually..." to an audience.  Instances where you can pull the rug out from under people effectively are rare and need quite a bit of set up to accomplish, none of the groundwork was done in ep7.

People confuse ESB's reveal ending with the thinking that anything could happen in ep8, it'll be a twist!  Yet throughout the star wars franchise there has been finality and death, ANH had Alderaan, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader...people die in star wars and blue ghosts aside they have always stayed dead.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: January 26, 2016, 11:07:36 AM

Articles are also citing the Casting Call memo for EP8 which indicates Ford will be returning as Solo.

http://www.moviecastingcall.org/2015/12/star-wars-episode-viii-casting-new-lead-and-supporting-roles.html

I'm going with bit part in a flash-back during Ren's training and/or the reprise of the Jedi Academy slaughter by Ren. Nothing more.

It would be interesting to see when the casting call was posted, as well.

But yeah, if he's in, it'll just be a flashback.

beer geek.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:46 AM

Sorry guys. I can exclusively reveal he will turn up in a shower and it will turn out to have been all a dream.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: January 26, 2016, 11:56:17 AM

NICE.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #710 on: January 26, 2016, 12:50:28 PM

2meta4me

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #711 on: January 26, 2016, 01:03:40 PM

He wakes up in bed with Calista Flockhart in an after-credits stinger.

beer geek.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: January 26, 2016, 01:26:10 PM

Hahaha  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens.  
Jump to: