Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens.  (Read 130334 times)
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: January 22, 2016, 05:12:13 AM

I'm too young to have seen the original triolgy in theatres, I own 0 star wars toys or merch and I went back to re-watch the unedited 4-6 a couple weeks before release. I can say with the full authority of having no dog in this fight, you're still wrong.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #666 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:47 AM

I saw it once, you're still wrong.

Same.

Nothing to do with nostalgia. Everything to do with accepting that it is a fucking movie based on sci-fi fantasy. Way too many nutjobs out there that try to make this story real for whatever reason.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #667 on: January 22, 2016, 07:09:14 AM

You people know better than to feed trolls. I'm sorry his dad didn't hug him enough too, but c'mon.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: January 22, 2016, 09:56:51 AM

Yes I'm a troll for pointing out flaws in a movie  Heartbreak awesome, for real
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:41 AM

The part where Rey becomes a super jedi isn't bad because no in universe explanation is possible. It's bad because the no on universe explanation is presented and because the film script hasn't earnt enough trust to make you believe there is an explanation other than plot requirements.

Not to beat a dead horse but she doesn't become a super Jedi. She mind tricks a stormtrooper, uses the force to pull a saber to her and beats an almost mortally wounded and exhausted Kylo Ren in a duel. Barely.

Its funny that the only people defending the third act are the ones who saw it 5 times. The fact that none of those feats are in anyway consistent with any star wars cannon for even the most casual of fans is just hand waved cause "reasons".

I've seen it once. The only person super attacking it is you and that's because it's become some kind of personal crusade for you. Hell, you care more about this movie than people who enjoyed it.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: January 22, 2016, 10:39:11 AM

The part where Rey becomes a super jedi isn't bad because no in universe explanation is possible. It's bad because the no on universe explanation is presented and because the film script hasn't earnt enough trust to make you believe there is an explanation other than plot requirements.

Not to beat a dead horse but she doesn't become a super Jedi. She mind tricks a stormtrooper, uses the force to pull a saber to her and beats an almost mortally wounded and exhausted Kylo Ren in a duel. Barely.

Its funny that the only people defending the third act are the ones who saw it 5 times. The fact that none of those feats are in anyway consistent with any star wars cannon for even the most casual of fans is just hand waved cause "reasons".

I've seen it once. The only person super attacking it is you and that's because it's become some kind of personal crusade for you. Hell, you care more about this movie than people who enjoyed it.

Except I'm not the only one with those criticisms, maybe of the few who put them all in one place, maybe the first, but not the only. But I'm the troll and everyone else maybe taking a kids movie too seriously? Sure  Ohhhhh, I see.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #671 on: January 22, 2016, 11:03:06 AM

MediumHigh, you're a troll because you troll. Constantly. In every thread. Now you're trolling by claiming that not all of your trolling is completely unhinged from reality. But you're still trolling, in this case for someone willing to argue with you over whether you're a troll. Which I sort of just gave you, unless I'm meta-trolling you.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #672 on: January 22, 2016, 11:06:45 AM

Who trolls the Trolls?

Hic sunt dracones.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:15 AM

MediumHigh, you're a troll because you troll. Constantly. In every thread. Now you're trolling by claiming that not all of your trolling is completely unhinged from reality. But you're still trolling, in this case for someone willing to argue with you over whether you're a troll. Which I sort of just gave you, unless I'm meta-trolling you.

--Dave

Ohhhhh, I see.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: January 22, 2016, 11:44:03 AM

You have a URL in your signature that says troll.

So, fucking fuck off with your claims of not trolling.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:28 AM

JUST. STOP. RESPONDING. TO. HIM.

CHRIST.

beer geek.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #676 on: January 22, 2016, 01:19:50 PM

Can't wait for you to stop being a trolly bitch about it.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: January 22, 2016, 01:57:26 PM

why so serious?

beer geek.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #678 on: January 22, 2016, 04:09:21 PM

Note that Kylo also isn't trying to kill her (rather capture/turn her) as well. Plus, unless you were braindead because the plot beat it into you so hard, the saber was not pulled to Rey. The Saber chose Rey as soon as she accepted her destiny.

The Rey/Kylo fight is consistent with canon. Shit, in the first movie. Luke outflys Vader, "the best starpilot in the galaxy and the strongest jedi in the universe"
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #679 on: January 22, 2016, 07:30:46 PM

why so serious?

I swear I posted that hours earlier.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: January 22, 2016, 08:30:37 PM

The Rey/Kylo fight is consistent with canon. Shit, in the first movie. Luke outflys Vader, "the best starpilot in the galaxy and the strongest jedi in the universe"

I don't agree with MediumHigh, but it did take a surprise attack from Han Solo to save Luke.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:46 PM

why so serious?

I swear I posted that hours earlier.

It oddly worked.

beer geek.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: January 22, 2016, 10:01:29 PM

I don't agree with MediumHigh, but it did take a surprise attack from Han Solo to save Luke.

Kind of, but kind of not. Vader goes in for the kill on what should be an easy shot, down a trench, where we had seen him never miss. He shoots and misses "the force is strong in this one" he says and tries to line up another shot.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: January 23, 2016, 04:29:11 AM

Lightsabers don't "choose" people. There not magic. Ren exerted a force, Rey exerted an equal force, light saber doesn't move. Ren exerted more force, Rey exerted a greater force, lightsaber went to Rey.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #684 on: January 23, 2016, 04:50:03 AM

... and Han shot first.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: January 23, 2016, 04:55:49 AM

Come on chaps, be fair.  The choosing thing was a retarded thing to write and Mr High is quite right to shoot it down.

It reminds me of Liam Neeson giving people a row about how lightsabres work.  "It's a Button !!"

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: January 24, 2016, 02:37:07 AM

Maybe lightsabers are full of midichlorians.

Or maybe it was possessed by the ghost of Obi Wan.

Both these explanations are more than plausible in the Star Wars universe. (lol)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:38:48 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: January 24, 2016, 11:44:41 AM

Maybe lightsabers are full of midichlorians.

Or maybe it was possessed by the ghost of Obi Wan.

Both these explanations are more than plausible in the Star Wars universe. (lol)

Maybe they took inspiration from Harry Potter... and now the Lightsaber chooses the wielder.   awesome, for real
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: January 24, 2016, 07:31:43 PM

Star Wars has always been about vaguely eastern mumbo jumbo. The force acting through items is no more far fetched that a cave being strong in the dark side(edit: while still containing "only what you take with you"). Its all tied up in a vague concept of destiny and so yes, the saber can absolutely "choose" rey.

Explain it however you want. Rey has a closer connection to the saber and so can pull it easier. The force prevented it going to Kylo because it wasn't his. Kylo's arrogance at his perceived destiny blinded him to his true path, and not being his path he was unable to execute it. Do or do not, there is no try, such Kylo's perceived effort does not matter, nor Reys, but rather Rey was in the right mindset and Kylo, in his desire to possess was not. The Force itself chose.

Yadda yadda yadda. There are a million and one ways to do this just touching on the original trilogy and the movie beat you over the head with all of them at the same time. (Because again, the force is some vague eastern mumbo jumbo and so there is no one explanation)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: January 24, 2016, 07:48:31 PM

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. Enjoyable.

As for the lightsaber, I'd prefer vague mystic mumbo-jumbo about a weapon "choosing" someone over midichlorians. Give the space wizards some magic.

Random thoughts:
1) Clearly, several people involved in art direction have played KOTOR.
2) I wonder if Rey's ability to tap into the force with no training, and basically only Ren's mind-raping example, is an indication that someone played Revan-style games on her.
2a) Ren is basically "Lame Vader" Not as strong, not as skilled, not as dedicated. Would not surprise me at all to find that when he went to purge the New Jedi Order, he couldn't quite kill everyone. And since his big skills seem to be mental force powers, mindwiping a girl he couldn't bring himself to kill and dumping her off with a random family wouldn't surprise me.
3) For a light side power, Force Stasis is creepy as hell.
5) I suspect Rey's gonna go dark side -- probably in Episode 2, after killing Ren -- who is a pretty shitty dark Jedi at the moment --  an Finn will train as a Jedi to get her back and after she curb stomps him, he'll bring her back Luke style. Only she'll probably survive.

I enjoyed it. There was plenty of humor, the effects were often very good, and hearing the music when the X-wings came roaring in over the lake was a pretty awesome return to childhood. It's not gonna win Oscars, except maybe for music or effects, but the acting was solid enough, the plot was stock space opera and stock star wars with the usual plotholes, but I didn't really care. I wasn't exactly there for a tightly scripted masterpiece, you know?

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: January 24, 2016, 09:21:43 PM

Everyone in the movies taps into the force with no training*. Luke does it in Star Wars twice.

The big thing that seems to determine whether or not you're able to use the force is what your belief. Its vague eastern mumbo jumbo after all. But Yoda's training scenes don't actually have him training except physically. He is never taught how to do anything because there is no 'how' in the force. You just do it.

So once you have the idea that you can...

2a) is possible. But it seems unlikely to me. Ren seems pretty dedicated

My reading of Ren is similar. But he is rather a better done Vader. He is a CEO's son who realizes he will never be as successful as his father/heir (whom he sees as Luke/Vader). So he takes on a task that his forebearers could not accomplish and sets to it. He is, at heart, a good kid, but goes to the dark side because he believes that he will not have the power to achieve, to succeed, to be powerful without it. He is fooled/convinced by snoke that his grandfathers redemption and uncles refusal were their weaknesses.

This is why he wants to destroy the Jedi. This is why killing his father is his greatest test(and why it was hard for him). This is why his greatest fear is that he won't be as strong as Vader.

He will probably get a redemption arc. Not sure on Rey, there are a lot of ways they can go with her.

*To correct Han. No, that is exactly how the force works and you're about to walk into a base the size of a planet and find a specific person to convince them to drop the shields, then run into another specific person who you came to rescue, then run into your son.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: January 25, 2016, 05:37:37 AM

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. Enjoyable.

As for the lightsaber, I'd prefer vague mystic mumbo-jumbo about a weapon "choosing" someone over midichlorians. Give the space wizards some magic.

Random thoughts:
1) Clearly, several people involved in art direction have played KOTOR.
2) I wonder if Rey's ability to tap into the force with no training, and basically only Ren's mind-raping example, is an indication that someone played Revan-style games on her.
2a) Ren is basically "Lame Vader" Not as strong, not as skilled, not as dedicated. Would not surprise me at all to find that when he went to purge the New Jedi Order, he couldn't quite kill everyone. And since his big skills seem to be mental force powers, mindwiping a girl he couldn't bring himself to kill and dumping her off with a random family wouldn't surprise me.
3) For a light side power, Force Stasis is creepy as hell.
5) I suspect Rey's gonna go dark side -- probably in Episode 2, after killing Ren -- who is a pretty shitty dark Jedi at the moment --  an Finn will train as a Jedi to get her back and after she curb stomps him, he'll bring her back Luke style. Only she'll probably survive.

I enjoyed it. There was plenty of humor, the effects were often very good, and hearing the music when the X-wings came roaring in over the lake was a pretty awesome return to childhood. It's not gonna win Oscars, except maybe for music or effects, but the acting was solid enough, the plot was stock space opera and stock star wars with the usual plotholes, but I didn't really care. I wasn't exactly there for a tightly scripted masterpiece, you know?

Good points and ones I've had myself. I would like but need Rey go dark. That would be a fun ride.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #692 on: January 25, 2016, 05:57:47 AM

The art direction looks similar to KOTOR because it was based on McQuarrie's sketches. That man was truly the heart and soul of the design aesthetic.

The only real KOTOR nod is Kylo's Revan-like mask.  Even THAT is closely linked to McQuarrie's original Vader sketches.
http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2015/04/21/star-wars-the-force-awakens-a-closer-look-at-kylo-ren/

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: January 25, 2016, 12:23:21 PM

Regarding Kylo, I saw a thing with Arndt where he was explaning that the initial idea was to show an antagonist before he became an all powerful Vader figure.

I got the impression he was intending it to be a character who gets more powerful throughout. Possibly supplanting Star Gollum eventually.

How much they stick to his plan is different thing of course.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #694 on: January 25, 2016, 01:16:29 PM

I've seen this theory several times but I don't think it'll happen. I suspect if we get any redemption arc it will be with Kylo Ren and it'll be as he dies.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: January 25, 2016, 03:16:31 PM

My money is on Rey and Luke both going "beyond" Light and Dark side.  They'll take the 'Black and White' out of the Force - or so they'll claim.  Then, a few movies later, they'll show it was a slippery slope problem as she falls into the Dark Side.  We'll see her fall the way we should have seen Anakin - slowly and for all the 'right' reasons.  I think that will be in movies 10, 11 and 12.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:35 PM

I've seen this theory several times but I don't think it'll happen. I suspect if we get any redemption arc it will be with Kylo Ren and it'll be as he dies.
Killing Han Solo is pretty much a rape the dog moment, long term. Both in universe (you just offed yourDad, who clearly loved you and had no hand in your pot of crazy) and meta (you killed Han Solo). Not sure that's reedemable.

I mean in-story, sure. It can be done. But meta? He offed Han Solo. Watchers are, bluntly, gonna wanna see Chewie rip his arms off and beat him to death with them,
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:14 PM

My money is on Rey and Luke both going "beyond" Light and Dark side.  They'll take the 'Black and White' out of the Force - or so they'll claim.  Then, a few movies later, they'll show it was a slippery slope problem as she falls into the Dark Side.  We'll see her fall the way we should have seen Anakin - slowly and for all the 'right' reasons.  I think that will be in movies 10, 11 and 12.

That plot already played out in the EU, ironically with one of Han's sons in the books. It was dumb then, it'd be dumb now IMO.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:16 PM

Killing Han Solo is pretty much a rape the dog moment, long term. Both in universe (you just offed yourDad, who clearly loved you and had no hand in your pot of crazy) and meta (you killed Han Solo). Not sure that's reedemable.

I mean in-story, sure. It can be done. But meta? He offed Han Solo. Watchers are, bluntly, gonna wanna see Chewie rip his arms off and beat him to death with them,

Nah, Han Solo was already pretty much done as a character.  Kylo just ended our suffering.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:49 AM

Don't get me wrong. Having him die wasn't a bad move, story wise.

It's just not the sort of thing you can do a heel turn on easily, both story wise (killing your dad is pretty bad mojo) and meta wise.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Star Wars : Into Spoilers - The Spoiler awakens.  
Jump to: