Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe  (Read 17364 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: December 15, 2015, 02:29:00 PM

G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM: Spaceknight.  All in one shared universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-hasbro-gi-joe-universe-848920

Interestingly, all of these properties have been published as Marvel comics.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:38:57 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:00:24 PM

This makes the Universal Monster shared universe look like a better idea by comparison. Paramount has struggled making G.I. Joe a successful movie franchise. Visionaries wasn't even a successful cartoon/comic book/toy line.

Edit: Also not sure what the benefit of having any of these properties interacting with each other would be. There's been plenty of G.I. Joe/Transformer crossovers in toys and comics so that would seem like the obvious route to go but Transformers isn't even mentioned here. What would be the Avengers moment they'd be building up to with this that makes it important for all these unrelated concepts to be sharing a universe?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:07:16 PM by Velorath »
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:11:21 PM

Of course they are going to create a brand new toy line, I mean enemy, for them to fight.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:16:10 PM

GI Joe and MASK I could see in a shared universe. Don't know why they would and am certain they should not do that but still, it's at least plausible. Micronauts and ROM? Total fucking shit idea. Visionaries? I don't even remember that shit.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 03:17:42 PM

I'm imagining the story will be something like... no, wait, I was taking a crap.  Probably the same thing.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:20:05 PM

Wasn't Visionairies weird knights with magic powers fantasy?  Like He-Man, but with totally rad to the max holograms?  Or am I thinking of something else?  Because as awesome as Visionaries and MASK were as a kid, I have no idea how you'd mix them in a way that didn't completely miss the point of one of the two.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:35 PM

This just pisses me off because it makes it even harder for James Gunn to get a shot at Rom with GotG 3.... Pipe dream, but Gunn and I both love the original toaster and wish he could have been in GotG.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:57:20 PM

Wasn't Visionairies weird knights with magic powers fantasy?  Like He-Man, but with totally rad to the max holograms?  Or am I thinking of something else?  Because as awesome as Visionaries and MASK were as a kid, I have no idea how you'd mix them in a way that didn't completely miss the point of one of the two.

Yes, that's them. I had to google to remember them but sure enough that's it. The cartoon was awful even by 80s, "We need a vehicle to push this product on kids" standards. Like sub Captain Power and the soldiers of the future shit. (Remember them..the guns and toys that interacted with the TV show? Yeah.)

It was so bad it only made 13 episodes. http://www.thevisionaries.net/

ANYWAY - yeah this is just as I predicted in another thread- I think it was the Marvel one. Disney/ Marvel have been kicking SO MUCH ass and taking so many nerd-dollars that you're going to see all the studios attempt this with whatever they have in their stable.

No, it doesn't matter if the properties they have are crap or don't make any sense to us. Think of this: How much do you know about romance novels and romance novel writers? Now decide you're going to combine them based on that level of knowledge and you have what your average studio exec is thinking. "Fuck, if Jackie Collins sells millions AND Stephanie Meyer does as well then a crossover between the two with some 50 shades thrown in is a sure win!"

So now we have WB attempting the DC universe, Disney with several well-established universes, and now Paramount with their attempt. Honestly I'm surprised Paramount didn't try and cramp Star Trek in there as well, the newest iteration may as well be in it.

Comcast (Universal) and Fox are lagging behind. I wonder what crap they're going to shit out on us from their stable.

I can see Universal now: Jason Bourne has to chase down a Mummy with Brendon Frasier who's somehow still 40 in the 2010s. The twist is the ship transporting the sarcophagus to L.A. went aground off the coast of Isla Nublar C, where the Minons retreated to after Gru's death!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:59:32 PM

Grain of salt rumors say the idea will be GI Joe centric.  Each movie is about a GI Joe team that teams up with an ally to stop the combined forces of Cobra and the natural foe of that ally.  Every movie can feature new GI Joe teams, new allies, and new enemies - meaning no actor can hold them Downey hostage.  That may be the best possible implementation of this concept, but it is still one of the worst ideas ever.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 05:35:22 PM

I used to love M.A.S.K. back in the day. A good movie of that idea would have my attention.

Of course, this will not be that.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 08:32:56 PM

This will work if the plot involves ROM killing everyone.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 10:27:43 PM

I used to love M.A.S.K. back in the day. A good movie of that idea would have my attention.

Of course, this will not be that.

I had all kinds of MASK stuff. Loved it. I'm a little sad they're going to shit all over my good times with my friends.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:07 AM

I can see Universal now: Jason Bourne has to chase down a Mummy with Brendon Frasier who's somehow still 40 in the 2010s. The twist is the ship transporting the sarcophagus to L.A. went aground off the coast of Isla Nublar C, where the Minons retreated to after Gru's death!

They've already announced a Mummy remake and have cast a female as the lead mummy. So it will likely be worse than what you just typed.

Also, even as a kid, I thought MASK was utter shit even by the standards of shitty cartoons marketing vehicles to sell more toys. I barely remember the Visionaries even after looking at the pics of the toys on their web site.

It would likely be a good idea if Paramount made a really good GI Joe movie first before they try to create a shared universe around it. I mean, I liked both of the ones they've released, but they were not what I'd call great. They weren't even Man of Steel good. Watchable and fun but not tentpole level. And nowhere close to as good as any of the Marvel stuff including all iterations of the Hulk movies.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 08:36:44 AM

Honestly I'm surprised Paramount didn't try and cramp Star Trek in there as well, the newest iteration may as well be in it.

Destro builds a time machine to go into the future and team up with the Romulan Empire?
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 11:16:24 AM

Next Shared Universes:

* Rainbow Bright, My Little Pony, Strawberry Chortcake, Monchichis, Cabbage Patch Kids, Care Bears, Popples, Pound Puppies, and Saw

* E.T.,  Ice Pirates, Spaceballs and Slither.

* Yogi, Baloo, Teddy Ruxpin, Winnie the Poo, Paddington, Ted, and Pedobear.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:46 AM

YES PLEASE.

Wait.. the ET aliens were in the SW Prequels... and Gunn directed Slither....

STAR WARS AND MARVEL SHARED UNIVERSE.

beer geek.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 12:59:06 PM

Also, even as a kid, I thought MASK was utter shit even by the standards of shitty cartoons marketing vehicles to sell more toys. I barely remember the Visionaries even after looking at the pics of the toys on their web site.

Disclaimer to my earlier post:

I didn't watch the cartoon, I just loved the toys.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 01:27:07 PM

You didn't like MASK?  What is it sbout the idea of making sure your car doors on your flying car have to be open do you not like? H8R.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 01:53:43 PM

* Yogi, Baloo, Teddy Ruxpin, Winnie the Poo, Paddington, Ted, and Pedober

Needs We Bear Bears.  Icebear and Winnie The Pooh philosophy showdown.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 01:56:57 PM

Where does My Pet Monster fit into all this.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:55 PM

They've already announced a Mummy remake and have cast a female as the lead mummy. So it will likely be worse than what you just typed.

All Universal really needs is a Fast and the Furious/Jurassic Park crossover movie.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 02:21:55 PM

YES PLEASE.

Wait.. the ET aliens were in the SW Prequels... and Gunn directed Slither....

STAR WARS AND MARVEL SHARED UNIVERSE.

I've said it before, but Muppets Star Wars needs to be a thing.

Also I feel like the Power Rangers could fit in somewhere; they could even use that test footage someone shot with Katie Sackhoff as a starting point.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 02:28:29 PM

Disclaimer to my earlier post:

I didn't watch the cartoon, I just loved the toys.

We had a pair of MASK episodes on VHS and watched them over and over until we memorized them.

A while back, my brother and I were working on something when one of those episodes came on the playlist for our background noise, and it was goddamn spooky.  Like, ten seconds in and we were repeating back verbatim what the characters were saying, in the exact timing and tone of the actual episode.  Couldn't remember anything about the plot of the episode, but for some reason hearing X seconds of it let us remember X+1 seconds.  It was super eerie.  Like, ask me who the characters are and I have no idea, but that episode starts playing and somehow I remember that guy calling that guy Bruce but only like a half second before he does it.

Of course, that brain space couldn't be used for something helpful, like all the calculus I've forgotten, it's all taken up with people talking about the Roteks or whatever.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 02:31:12 PM

Where does My Pet Monster fit into all this.
See Pedobear

(Absolute tangent: Is anyone else feeling kind of weird about the new Online Girl Scout Ordering Service where you can specify the *Girl Scout* of your choice?

http://www.girlscouts.org/en/cookies/all-about-cookies/How-to-Buy.html

This just looks like a really thin veil over something very, very bad....)

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:39:47 PM by jgsugden »

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 03:51:17 PM

Meh, I prefer to eat Brownies.   this guy looks legit
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:34 PM

Quote from: Merusk link=topic=25104.msg1397657#msg1397657 [/quote

Comcast (Universal) and Fox are lagging behind. I wonder what crap they're going to shit out on us from their stable. 

Universal has already been out there recently saying that they're going to be rebooting the old Universal Monster movies and setting them in a shared universe. They're starting with the Mummy and doing one new movie a year. Bride of Frankenstein sounds like it could be the next one.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 10:10:15 PM

I hope we get another Jaws exploitation movie!

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 06:38:14 AM

I actually remember the Visionaires, they caught me at an age where the only thing to do on holidays in Ireland was watch whatever VHS tape was there and those were some of them.

Now what they really need is  Centurions adaptation. That is something which would actually semi-kinda almost fit with the GI Joe universe and Hollywood needs more movies with Orang Utang starring roles.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 02:50:14 PM

They need Sectaurs. A friend of mine when I was a kid had that giant fly hand puppet toy with the guy riding on it hanging from his ceiling. It was pretty cool looking.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 07:26:45 PM

I agree, Sectaurs were pretty awesome-looking. I never had one but always thought it was a cool idea.

Quote from: Merusk link=topic=25104.msg1397657#msg1397657 [/quote

Universal has already been out there recently saying that they're going to be rebooting the old Universal Monster movies and setting them in a shared universe. They're starting with the Mummy and doing one new movie a year. Bride of Frankenstein sounds like it could be the next one.

See, I thought about this but ultimately since the source material is Public Domain I didn't expect them to attempt it. If the latest Frankenstein is any indication of their attempt then it should be put to bed as an idea already.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:41 PM

The Universal monster universe thing started with Dracula Untold.  The next one is The Mummy.  That Victor Frankenstein movie was done by Fox.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 08:25:27 AM

The Universal monster universe thing started with Dracula Untold.

To be clear, the plan was started after Untold was made, but was shoehorned into the plans.... for whatever that may mean.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 21, 2015, 08:57:33 AM

Optionally shoehorned in.... last I hear Dracula Untold was something they might option into the universe if they felt it worked out.  However, as the entire execution of these things is going to be crap, it doen't really matter if crappy Dracula joins crappy other monsters or not.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 09:06:37 AM

They did reshoots to make it fit.

beer geek.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:31 AM

They did reshoots to make it fit.
Yes, there was a market scene in modern day added at the end.  That preserved the option for inclusion.  After the film tanked, there was some question as to whether they'd capitalize upon it - and recent articles on the topic continue to cast doubt they'll use it.  That version of Dracula really doesn't seem to be one that makes sense for a combined universe approach.

Tom Cruise has been linked to the "franchise" and there is some speculation that he might end up being either the heroic human that ties the films together as the foe for the monsters, or he could be Dracula.  Regardless, how dare we pollute this wonderful thread with talk of a different franchise!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Paramount and Hasbro Shared Universe  
Jump to: