Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Information needed - YouTube channel business/income 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Information needed - YouTube channel business/income  (Read 2007 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: November 11, 2015, 01:22:47 PM

I'm looking for general information about successful YouTube channels/YouTube networks, common problem areas, etc. from the business/tax/law angle.

Trying to be really vague, but has come up with a client. 

Just looking for general information and links, things to look out for, etc.  Basically background information, since my knowledge of everything channel related is second-hand reading shit online.  I'm going to google-fu shit later.  Already hammered them about going to a lawyer with a related background even if you have to take a day trip.  With the background here, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 01:47:36 PM

I know a guy who knows a guy who makes money on Youtube, and I assume everyone can claim that.  Maybe not what you want.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 02:54:35 PM

A little more specific would be helpful.  Are they wondering about joining a network, were they ripped off by a network, are they thinking about quitting their job to make Bubsy 3D let's plays, what's the problem?

AFAIK the major benefit for partnering with a network these days is just providing a bit of assistance with the paperwork (marketing, production, etc.) and especially copyright (because YouTube lets you flag anything for copyright violation) in exchange for a cut of the revenue.  The biggest problem is probably that a lot of these networks are quantity over quality organizations, they give no shits about their content creators (because there are tons of them, the big networks have tens of thousands of channels) and will take something in the area of 30% to 50% of the creator's cut of the video while doing jack squat to help them (because if you're a small channel, there's probably not a lot they can do aside from promoting you at the cost of their already successful channels).  Networks used to be in to some really shifty stuff (Machinima was slammed a while back for pushing "we own all your content for the rest of your life" contracts at kids) but allegedly that's toned down a bit.  There are still a lot of sketchy contracts out there, though, so you know.  Fine print and all that.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:31:40 PM

A little more specific would be helpful.  Are they wondering about joining a network, were they ripped off by a network, are they thinking about quitting their job to make Bubsy 3D let's plays, what's the problem?

Have to be vague, confidentiality.  It's serious enough to have a discussion with an accountant who bills by the hour, serious enough for me to tell them to find a lawyer with some background/experience in this (rather than the usual run of attorneys handling bank closings and boilerplate documents).
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:10:02 AM

Can't offer anything more than Yeg's contribution in terms of personal knowledge. Met a few people who claimed to be funding their travels on Youtube accounts that I never believe but I doubt any of them were getting close to paying tax generally let alone on their Youtube earnings.

I could direct you towards MatPat I only name because I've watched a few of his videos and he seems to be doing fairly well with his own channel and consulting on other's. He seems to have a fairly good relationship with fans so might be willing to give you a name of a lawyer he uses or used.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Information needed - YouTube channel business/income  
Jump to: