Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: MST3K (2016/17) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MST3K (2016/17)  (Read 12812 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: November 10, 2015, 10:17:37 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:27:29 AM

Wonder what's going to happen with rights issues, given Mike is doing this: http://www.rifftrax.com/mst3k

Also, who are playing the robots, etc.

beer geek.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:11 AM

Hrrmmmmm.  Much as I enjoy MST3K, not 100% they can pull it off.  As they mention, there is already a lot of riffing being done out there.  Rifftraxs found the way to hit what ever movie they want.

One thing that worries me is that Rifftraxs is pretty damn funny as is already, though it suffers from one big thing I noticed.  It feels like they are live riffing on it, and just saying shit that comes to mind as they watch.  Which can still be funny, but tends to meander and also not be so great at times.  In the original MST3K episodes, you could tell they'd already seen the movie and had cut the dialog in and out over different takes, so that they burst in at the right time for perfect comedic effect.  Things were a lot more sharper and wittier in general.  The fact he mentions wanting to film the show in front of a studio audience or live stream it makes me think they'll make the same mistakes.

I'll still probably give to this out of nostalgia though.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:48:21 AM

I did go and see a live Rifftrax-ish thing once (Cinematic Titanic, with a bunch of the MST3k cast) and it was clear that they'd practiced and scripted it prior to the live performance, so filming in front of an audience doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad -- but I don't see a point to it either, except insofar as they're able to raise money by selling tickets (which was the point of the show I went to -- they were able to pack a theater at $20 a head, that probably works better than trying to sell digital downloads or whatever).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:00:57 PM

Joel > Mike.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:11:07 PM

Joel tried this a few years ago with a project called Cinematic Titanic that also didn't involve Corbett, Murphy or Nelson and it just never worked for me.  I'll remain hopeful, but still skeptical.  I'm sure he'll get Trace Beaulieu to voice Crow but I'd be sad with a non-Murphy Tom Servo.  He was always my favorite of that cast and still is with Rifftrax.

I'd like to see this work out since MST3K was such a formative show for me, but looking back, I really do prefer Mike Nelson as the host, and Rifftrax is already doing spectacular work.  As for worrying about the audience, I wouldn't give it much thought.  Rifftrax's live performances at least are highly scripted and you can tell because on occasion they miss a beat or get tongue tied on a clearly scripted joke.  Granted, this isn't Rifftrax, but Cinematic Titanic also performed in front of a live crowd for years and it wasn't an issue.  I don't think it adds anything either though.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:37 PM

beer geek.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:11:09 PM

Trace has said he isn't involved.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:27:53 PM

Felicia Day is the new Scientist - and Patton Oswalt is the new (TV's Son of TV's) Frank. 

Kind of hating the loss of some of the key elements from the original, kind of loving some of the new cast members.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:38:02 PM

I was kinda meh on Felicia Day as the new Mad because I usually see her in more straight-man roles, but Patton Oswalt is a yes please.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:54 PM

Oswalt is always a yes please. I've never laughed so much I cried listening to any other commedian.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:10 PM

...and I never cringe so much as watching Felicia Day try and be funny in the "I'm nerdy and quirky cute!" sort of way...so it's really a wash for me.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:24 PM

They've treated the old cast pretty shabbily in this thing so it's left kind of a bitter taste for me.  I'm interested in new episodes but the way they have gone about it hasn't been great.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:09 AM

In what way?  I haven't really paid attention to any of the MST3K drama.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 05:47:22 AM

I don't know of anyone being treated shabbily, but I can't name a single person from the original MST3K besides Joel who is attached to this.  Which is bizarre considering just how many writers/voice actors they had over the course of the show who are still around and are obviously very talented.

Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff and Elvis Weinstein are very notably absent.  Beaulieu and Weinstein were co-founders of MST3K way back in the KTMA days along with Joel and stayed long after he left the show.  They even joined him for Cinematic Titanic until that ended in '12.  Nelson, Murphy and Corbett I can understand since they're with Rifftrax, but Beaulieu, Conniff and Weinstein not being involved seems really weird.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 07:43:58 AM

It feels like one of those things where a band member "reforms" the old group but he's the only one in it from the original. Even when the other originals don't care, it seems wrong to call it by the name of the old band.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 08:06:05 AM

MST3K came out in a time where nothing like it existed and became a cult thing.  Now, everyone does riffing on movies, video games, hell every fucking youtube reaction video is a sort of rifftrax9which is also a thing).  I just don't see a good way for them to renew this show in a way that won't be more than some weird web exclusive that will fade into obscurity.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:34 AM

I love me some Felicia Day, but she's not a comedian. She can write comedy, but her execution was always fairly wooden and I dunno if she's an asset in a remake of MST3K. As Lakov said, it came at a time when there just was a smattering of tv for nerds, and it hit the spot. Nowadays with the nerd chick culture we've developed (don't get me started on this), it may take more than Patton Oswalt to pull this off.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 01:35:36 PM

I find your lack of faith ... precitable.

Day's constrained crazy could work here.  We'll have to wait and see.  Her bits are only a few minutes on the show, anyways...

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:57 PM

She gets her bits out ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 01:52:35 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 07:35:20 PM

In what way?  I haven't really paid attention to any of the MST3K drama.

Conniff tweeted he heard about Oswalt basically taking over his character after someone tweeted him about it after it was made public. He made comments like "Found out about it later than everyone did", etc.  They are clearly frozen out of the whole process without even a heads up.  Joel doesn't necessarily owe them anything as he now owns the rights, but the tone of both his and Trace's (and to a lesser extent Corbett) tweets leads me to think the process hasn't been handled very well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 09:38:23 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 08:06:57 PM

I think it's more upsetting that they are making this a sequel with continuity and yet excluding those that helped create the original.

WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 05:22:17 PM

Dana Gould and Dan Harmon are writing for this too. They are both hilarious, so along with Patton I think they are in good hands. It won't have the same innocent vibe as the original, but it is almost impossible for it not to be funny.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:28 AM

Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff and Elvis Weinstein are very notably absent.  Beaulieu and Weinstein were co-founders of MST3K way back in the KTMA days along with Joel and stayed long after he left the show.  They even joined him for Cinematic Titanic until that ended in '12.  Nelson, Murphy and Corbett I can understand since they're with Rifftrax, but Beaulieu, Conniff and Weinstein not being involved seems really weird.

I think Weinstien left at the end of the first season due to *drama*. He was the voice of Tom Servo, but then Kevin Murphy took it over. Kinda surprised that Joel froze the others out, I was under the impression there was genrally good relations between the cast members.

I think Day is stunning but I've never found her particularly funny.

Hic sunt dracones.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 03:49:06 AM

Let's be honest here.  Do the sketches during the breaks in the movie really matter?  While sometimes amusing, they were always just something that was there to give the show some form of structure, and often just awkward/weird without actually being funny.  I usually just changed the channel while they were going on.  Who god damn cares who they cast as the mad scientist?

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 10:53:24 AM

Well, one of them was also Crow and both of them helped write the thing, so they were fairly important parts of the show.

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:23 AM

Well ok, in that regard, yes, they were important at the time.   awesome, for real 

But from what I can see here, Day is just being hired to play the mad scientist.  Who only does shit on the weird commercial break skits.  So cares who the hell they cast.  Being concerned about the voice actors and (most importantly) the writers is the big part, and it looks pretty promising in that regard.

It's pretty shitty that most of the original cast has been cut, as you pointed out, and made me pretty hesitant.  My interest in this has renewed however since they announced other names involved in the project.

-Stephen Colbert
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 11:27:39 AM

Oswalt and Dan Harmon's involvement probably have me the most intrigued.   

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 08:17:34 PM

Yeah. Though I think that adds up to a really different likely tone. Another thing about MST3K that made it work back in the day is the palpable local-guys-made-good feel about it. I'm not sure having established people who are already big on metafictional comedy really fits the property.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:40 AM

Arise!

This has a release date of April 14th on Netflix, and they've released a cast photo.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 09:24:15 PM

Just not sure I can buy into this although the original people (beyond Joel who is involved so you would expect it) all seem pretty happy with how it is turning out, so who knows.

-H.L. Mencken
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 06:52:21 AM

I have similar reservations, especially since I didn't care much for Cinematic Titanic.  Crow and Tom Servo without Beaulieu/Corbett and Murphy are the big problems for me.  That would've been fixed by the introduction of new robots, which I think was the best way to go, but I understand they want to maintain some continuity.  I know I'll still watch it and hope for the best though.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 08:42:29 AM

It would seriously fuck me up to have different robot voices, so I can't watch this.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 07:33:52 AM

Not like Crow and Servo didn't each change voices in the original series. That said, I have a bad feeling about this one.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: MST3K (2016/17)  
Jump to: