Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Last Kingdom 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Last Kingdom  (Read 12456 times)
Tmon
Terracotta Army

on: October 11, 2015, 06:48:08 AM

I watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good.  It's adapted from a series of books by Bernard Cornwall about the Dainsh invasions of England.  The show did a good job of condensing stuff from the books while still staying fairly close to the story.  It's violent but the goriest stuff happens off screen. 

http://www.bbcamerica.com/the-last-kingdom/about-the-show/
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:55:06 AM

Well, with that exception of the sword through the back of the guy's neck.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:40:20 AM

Really looking forward to this as I just finished the most recent book. I love the Uhtred series - more than I liked his Arthur series but loved the Grail Quest and Agincourt and even Stonehenge. Don't even get me started on the Sharpe series.

I'm hoping it releases in Australia.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:38:46 AM

I just started watching this yesterday, getting through the first two episodes. It's pretty damn good. It certainly beats Doctor Who (which precedes it on the schedule) like a drum. Good acting, good costuming, good writing.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 02:13:19 AM

I just finished Ep4 - I really like the way they set Mildreth's character up from the start, the writers aren't scared to move away from the books and I like that,

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:32:58 AM

The acting and writing has been quite good.  Even though they have made changes to the story to fit it into their budget and the constraints of a TV show they have handled it pretty well.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 08:20:55 AM

Through 3 episodes and this thing has put Bastard Executioner to shame on every level.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:53:14 AM

Through 3 episodes and this thing has put Bastard Executioner to shame on every level.

My guess would be the difference of Kurt Sutter vs. Bernard Cornwell as writers.  awesome, for real
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:51 AM

I don't remember Cornwell's non-battle writing being anything to be that excited about? (His battle stuff however is fantastic, just about my whole knowledge of the Penisular war and Waterloo come's from Sharpe books..:D)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:34:00 AM

Try the Gallows Thief or Wildtrack or Stonehenge by Cornwall. They are the 3 that come to mind as having minor battle scenes and the best of the 3; Gallow's Thief is a fantastic insight into death penalty without getting on a high horse about it.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:08 AM

So the series is picking up pace beautifully. Uhtred's temper which is so important to the character and his successes was done really well this episode.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 07:39:09 AM

So the series is picking up pace beautifully. Uhtred's temper which is so important to the character and his successes was done really well this episode.

For some reason I'm not bothered with his stupid decisions like I would be in many other similar cases, probably because it's at least consistent.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:16 AM

Agreed - they really have nailed the character of Young Uhtred - TBH he tends to make the same decisions as an adult.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 01:13:01 PM

This is one of the best things I've seen on TV lately. Haven't yet watched the season ender. I don't want it to end. Hope there's a next season.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:41 PM

The season ender was fucking bananas. This was a solid, solid show.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 12:09:40 AM

Loved the end to the season, it tied it up really well although in theory Alfred should still be shitting on Uhtred because ... pagan. The only thing I really wanted was Steapa Snotor and Father Pyrlig to be in the series. Steapa tends to be intrinsic to plot elements that the series modified and Pyrlig is just fun and as an ex-warrior, much more believable to stand in a shield wall - more so than Beocca.

But if that's my only niggle with series 1 then that's pretty damn awesome because I really enjoyed the whole thing. Roll on series 2 and hopefully an adaptation of Cornwall's other great series based around Arthur. On the American Civil War for that matter.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 01:06:21 AM

I liked the first season as a whole and it managed to wrap up many of the ongoing plot points rather well.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 01:26:35 AM

Enjoyed this as well although through most of the season I couldn't help but think that Uhtred has what the Tick would refer to as "Charlie Brown karma".
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 01:23:59 AM

The 2nd season went up on Netflix a few days ago (after they finished broadcasting it in the U.K. I believe). I'm about halfway through now and it's been pretty good so far.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:23 AM

Second season was put out one episode per week in Australia, so I've just finished it. Really great season. My favourite thing was that every episode had at least one big laugh moment amid the seriousness.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 11:23:57 PM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 03:45:35 AM

Started watching this based on this thread.  Not sure how it fell under my radar until now, really like it.  I like shows were they make the main protagonist (Uthred son of Uthred son of Uthred son of Uthred) a generally unlikable but sort charismatic douchemuppet.  I don't quite know who to cheer for, but I will stick with the Danes for now, being as it is my adopted homeland.  And also the screw-up dude with the bowl haircut who is supposed to be king, but instead just gets drunk and whores around, that guy is great.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 10:37:37 PM

I'm one episode into the new season so far. Uthred continues to have the shittiest luck.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 06:02:09 AM

Finished S3. This continues to be a good time, not as bogged down with pretending to be historical or needing to have 2-5 sex scenes per episode, Last Kingdom sticks to having a fun cast try to pull of one military/quest/adventure miracle after another.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 05:06:26 PM

It's been renewed for a fourth season. 

Annnouncement on Twitter

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 05:32:15 PM

Good. I devoured season 3 very fast, and loved it. The pacing and characters engage me much more than Vikings does. I keep recommending it, but hardly anyone I know has otherwise heard of it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 06:20:43 PM

Season 4 has appeared to show up on Netflix out of nowhere. Starting on it now.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 09:28:19 PM

I binged on it when it released on Sunday and finished it Wednesday at some stupid hour of night.

Plenty of liberties taken with the source material, my only problem is that Uhtred isn't aging to match the books. Aefelflaed's story was one of my favourite parts of the latter books and I ended up like Aelswith's character a lot more with Alfred dead.

My only complaint is that there is no Uhtred the younger, only Oswald who seems to be a composite - which could be interesting given that he and Brida have a nasty encounter in the books and Uhtred the Younger plays predominantly in the books as a chip off the old block.

Steapa finally gets his moment.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 11:03:24 PM

I love this show so much.  I'm only 2 eps into S4 but it rocks so hard. I miss that goof Alfred though.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:45:00 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 12:59:19 AM

Heh, Brida don't play.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 01:09:59 AM

Netflix here seems to only have 2 seasons of this, which I have seen.  This is strange, most things they keep very current.  I am annoyed, because I miss the adventures of Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred and his dear pal Awfulfred.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 05:37:36 PM

Netflix here seems to only have 2 seasons of this, which I have seen.  This is strange, most things they keep very current.  I am annoyed, because I miss the adventures of Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred son of Uhtred and his dear pal Awfulfred.

Huh, don't recall where you live, but that is kinda odd regardless.

Trying very hard not to rush through this since even under better circumstances there tends to be a year and a half between seasons. I keep wanting to get into the books but have a hard time finding cheap ones. New at amazon each one ranges between $10-15 for each paperback. I'm not one for reading books digitally but even if I were the books are still around $10 on kindle. As much I enjoy Last Kingdom (and the Sharpe TV movies before that), I'm sure I'll get around to actually reading Cornwell's stuff someday.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 01:46:26 AM

Good season. I hope they do another but it will be like 2 years from now probably.  I should probably just read the books with the last one coming out in a few months.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Last Kingdom  
Jump to: