Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:54:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Happy Birthday! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday!  (Read 2769 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: September 30, 2015, 02:46:50 PM

Song has (at least temporarily) fallen into the public domain:
None of the companies that have collected royalties on the "Happy Birthday" song for the past 80 years held a valid copyright claim to one of the most popular songs in history, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled on Tuesday.

In a stunning reversal of decades of copyright claims, the judge ruled that Warner/Chappell never had the right to charge for the use of the "Happy Birthday To You" song. Warner had been enforcing a copyright since 1988, when it bought Birch Tree Group, the successor to Clayton F. Summy Co., which claimed the original disputed copyright.

Judge George H. King ruled that a copyright filed by the Summy Co. in 1935 granted only the rights to specific piano arrangements of the music, not the actual song.

A third of the royalties from the song go to the Hill family's Association for Childhood Education International, and that accounted to $754,108 last year... so this isn't chump change. Also current royalty payers may decide to pursue most-recent copyright holder Warner Music Group for back payments.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 02:25:45 AM

I am so glad that, theoretically, I never have to hear a made up version of this fucking song at a restaurant again after this news disseminates.

What a lame ass song to hold fake copyright over.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:24:57 AM

Apparently Warner settled a class action lawsuit by artists and filmmakers for $14 million rather pay all of the back royalties it received for lyrics it never actually owned. Back in February.

Good morning to you.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:58:30 AM

Is that really a ten-month gap in first and second posts?

I'd be fine if all versions of this song would just cease to exist.  And McCartney as well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:28 AM

A (now banned) gibberish poster necro posted and then schild posted.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:27:48 PM

i take all the blame for this

whoops

in my defense it was VERY early in the morning/late at night and my brain is fried
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:14:59 PM

Make that 8/8 deadline buddy!

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 12:11:21 AM

We did. Thank fucking god.

I have a tiny bit of shit left to do and then i'm done. And it's easy stuff.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Happy Birthday!  
Jump to: