Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:26:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide  (Read 6171 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 30, 2015, 11:32:26 AM

http://www.vermintide.com/

First person co-op melee/shooter by Fatshark who specialize in making mediocre games in this genre (War of the Roses, War of the Vikings, etc.).

Currently in beta, releasing on October 23.

Some beta testers are streaming it on Twitch now.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:38 PM

Who does Games Workshop think is asking for this shit?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:46:20 PM

"When will we get fully digital warhammer?"

"What's that, you want digital warhammer?  Ok, how about an FPS"

swamp poop
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:51:33 PM

Someone said it won a "Best in Show" recently at some major convention. It doesn't even lok bad though, seems like Left 4 Dead in the Warhammer world. Or FPS Mordheim.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:12:08 PM

The awards are on the Steam page (scroll down, they are on the right side):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:34:59 PM

I genuinely think that no-one at GW actually understands what video games are. It's like they are Neanderthals, trying to make a car go. They can figure out that if they push it, it'll roll in one direction. But the rest remains a mystery.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 05:40:59 PM

This is 100% L4D with a WH wrapper, so much so that I can't believe it didn't need the ok from Valve ahead of time. When other party members (there are 4 total) were offscreen you saw an outline of them glowing through terrain, exactly like L4D. They all talk constantly, like L4D but its all neckbeard gibberish. There literally appeared to be normal skaven and skaven that mattered and were a threat (I saw a Rat Ogre which was basically just a tank and an Assassin that acted just like the dudes that jump on you, he literally jumped on a player and slashed him up). This was Chinese levels of rip off.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:57 AM

Why ddo you think GW has any involvement in this besides "sure, we'll licence it to you!"?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 02:05:39 AM

I genuinely think that no-one at GW actually understands what video games are. It's like they are Neanderthals, trying to make a car go. They can figure out that if they push it, it'll roll in one direction. But the rest remains a mystery.

Again. GW don't make videogames. They don't even consider their tabletop games important anymore. They're really all about models and collectors these days (and have been for years). This isn't internet sour grapes or anything like that, either. It's well-documented and they're quite open about it at shareholders' meeting, etc.

I don't understand how so many people who actually know who GW are manage to think that GW have some hand in the creative side of their easily licenced games. Like GW is actually making them. FFS!  Facepalm

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 02:13:13 AM

That seems to be true to a degree. For example, in the past they seemed to have very strong restrictions in place about what you could do with one of their licenses or not. That is what everyone used to know.

Now, looks like things have changed a lot and they have loosened up. The French company making the Blood Bowl games for example have been able to basically change the rules and make up teams of their own, which would have probably been unthinkable in the past, but Blood Bowl is a dead game for GW as it's officially out of production so it's obvious they don't care much. Similarly, the people making the Mordheim game have been granted permission to alter the rules of the game, but they often state in their communication to the community that there are a good amount of restrictions placed by GW that they have to work with, about the setting and the lore.

So, I'd say that we all come from the old notion that they were draconic about their licenses. And even though they have changed a lot, seems like they are now selectively granting permission for something but not something else. Clearly, money play a part in all that.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 12:54:56 PM

I don't understand how so many people who actually know who GW are manage to think that GW have some hand in the creative side of their easily licenced games. Like GW is actually making them. FFS!  Facepalm

Someone at GW has to be responsible for actually signing off on these things regardless of whether they have any hand in the creative side. You don't just sign over a brand and let the dev company make whatever they want. That's how you end up with Wood Elf Tentacle Pr0n games. GW not giving a shit what the games are? That I can easily believe just by looking at the copious amounts of utter shit they are producing. What I mean is that somewhere there has to be a brand manager or marketing guy there who has brought up the whole "this is such shit it could actually damage our brand" argument for why NOT to do something. Of course, maybe there isn't because if there was, you'd think he'd be able to look at some this shit and go "Let's not do that."

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 01:01:18 PM

Wood Elf Tentacle Pr0n
Now that's a GW licensed game I would play!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 01:03:16 PM

Well... I suppose it depends on the artwork. why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 02:43:34 PM

Someone at GW has to be responsible for actually signing off on these things regardless of whether they have any hand in the creative side. You don't just sign over a brand and let the dev company make whatever they want. That's how you end up with Wood Elf Tentacle Pr0n games. GW not giving a shit what the games are? That I can easily believe just by looking at the copious amounts of utter shit they are producing. What I mean is that somewhere there has to be a brand manager or marketing guy there who has brought up the whole "this is such shit it could actually damage our brand" argument for why NOT to do something. Of course, maybe there isn't because if there was, you'd think he'd be able to look at some this shit and go "Let's not do that."

Right, there is a reason this is a L4D rip off and not a digital version of the tabletop game like people have been asking for since computers became a thing.  And it is sure as fuck not because GW doesn't control what kind of games get made.

I am the .00000001428%
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 06:17:56 PM

It's pretty simple, actually. As long as they avoid tentacle Pr0n, GW really don't give a shit. They're 100% driven by businessmen and yes-men at this point in time. Not people who play games. As long as money comes in and the licencees display a respect for the IP (which might be different to what you or I consider "Respect"), they don't care. They don't make videogames. They make models. If others want to licence their IP to make other games, or versions of their older games BUT NO WARHAMMER MODELS then that's fine. It's why Talisman has generic fantasy models but Relic has 40k busts instead of miniatures.

Damage their brand? They just exploded the WHFB world to reboot it into space islands with SigMarines. They've OKed all manner of shitty iOS games and licenced all of their old boardgames out to anyone who'll pay them.

Right, there is a reason this is a L4D rip off and not a digital version of the tabletop game like people have been asking for since computers became a thing.  And it is sure as fuck not because GW doesn't control what kind of games get made.

They do not want computer games to "compete" with their tabletop games. Modern GW is happy to allow Total Warhammer in the wake of AoS. They have exactly two sacred cows: Tabletop-clone 40k and AoS. Anything else is fair game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254650/

I mean, you can argue and wail and gnash your teeth all you like about the videogames that "GW makes", but you're just categorically wrong. They licence their IP - devs/pubs come to them because they want to make a card game about space marines - they are not a publisher who seeks out devs to make their games. They do not give a fuck about the type of game. If you think they have a hand in making them, then  swamp poop Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously. Go read an annual report from the past few years. They don't consider themselves a games company at this point in time. They're a model company. They make collectable models for collectors, not gamers. They believe that most of their customers are collectors and not gamers. All of that is explicitly communicated in their annual reports.

Then tell me why you think they have an active hand in "making" a FPS starring skaven, or give two shits about it?  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 07:50:59 PM

I didn't say an "active hand." I said that they have SOMEONE, even if it's just Cliff in the fucking basement, SOMEONE there looks at the cockspit the 3rd party devs are shitting out like a prize hen and says, "Yep, we're ok with that." Which means either they have the absolute dumbfuckiest dumbfucks in marketing that have ever dumbed a fuck (a scenario I believe is true) or truly give no fucks (which is also a believable scenario). This means they are really really fucking bad at business and are truly making money in spite of their best efforts.

I'm pretty sure Age of Sigmar proves that just as well as any of these shit video games they are licensing.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 11:09:05 PM

So you kinda changed your argument from what was implied in the initial post. As I've said in every post, they don't give a fuck. Pay us, bitches.
They've already got "damage our brand" down pretty well pat internally, as you might have noticed, and care very little.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 07:49:25 AM

At the moment, meaning only counting games that are still alive and are already available, there's 26 videogames officially licensed by GW. Not even countng Vermintide.

http://licensing.games-workshop.com/video-games/

awesome, for real

March
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:43 AM

At the moment, meaning only counting games that are still alive and are already available, there's 26 videogames officially licensed by GW. Not even countng Vermintide.

http://licensing.games-workshop.com/video-games/

awesome, for real
26 games no one wants, but not the one game everyone wants.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 11:47:54 PM

Pre-order with 1 week head start available now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

GMG has a coupon for 25% off: GMGMID-SEASON-25PERC
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:27:14 AM by Trippy »
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 02:29:37 AM

I picked this up to play with a friend. If you liked Left 4 Dead but wished it was mostly melee instead of mostly shooting then this is the game for you, I guess? First person melee combat works about as well as it does in any other game, which is to say adequate but not great.

There are five classes, but the only really interesting one is the Bright Wizard - they cast spells that build up heat, and have to spend health to vent heat once it builds past a certain point if they want to keep casting. Otherwise classes are just differentiated by the weapons they have available. Witch Hunter and Waywatcher have stronger ranged options while Ranger and Soldier have shields and heavy weapons that serve as crowd control. There's an RNG gear grind but uggh who even cares anymore.

Much like the Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplayer, it's not un-fun but mostly because I have a friend to play with. Vermintide is definitely less shitty than the DA multiplayer in terms of craftsmanship, though I don't know if that will translate to long-term stickiness.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 12:03:49 PM

This game is hard.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 04:42:56 PM

I managed to play one game so far. I enjoyed it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:34 PM

Just picked it up. Having lot of fun.

It's Left 4 Dead but with loot and some character progression. My only gripe is that somehow melee doesn't feel precise or visceral as I'd like it, but other than that it's just GREAT with a bunch of friends. Beats me why there isn't a 4-pack, but I'll probably convince my buddies to get it anyway. Either that, or I'll leave it alone soon. It IS cool, but I can't see myself caring too much unless I can play it with people I love to laugh with. It is a great co-op game, deserves to be played with humans you like.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:44 AM

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 02:38:19 AM

Games Workshop is actively trying to set the game part of their business on fire, so is it any wonder they have neither the capability nor motivation to take a critical eye to licensed products. I just hope that someone manages to do a turn based 40k rpg before the company eventually goes under.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 09:52:02 AM

That interviewer was a fucking idiot. He didn't ask the one question anyone given the chance should ask GW - why haven't you translated your most popular tabletop games to video games with DLC?

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 01:50:50 PM

They're deathly afraid that if someone produces a virtual simulacrum of a GW miniatures game, people will stop buying miniatures. Which is weird because these days they consider their customers collectors, not gamers.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 02:25:17 AM

Yeah, I really don't know how much it would impact their miniatures sales.  People who actually take the time to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars building an army, assembling it, and painting it, probably aren't going to stop doing that.  They are obviously really into that hobby.  The majority of the people who would play a PC version of the game are people who don't want to do that, so aren't currently playing their game at all.

But yeah, I skimmed the whole article just to see if they asked the most obvious question.  Clown shoes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:28:02 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 03:32:02 AM

Interestingly enough, turns out that Blood Bowl has never been as popular as now, and that's probably thanks to the videogame considering that GW put it out of production a few years back. The World Cup (which is taking place next week in Italy of all places) is the most participated ever with almost 900 players from all over the world gathering there to play a dead and discontinued tabletop game.

http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/World-Cup-2515-Rules-Pack.pdf

Anyway, as everyone else is saying, Games Workshop's fears seem totally unjustified. If anything, the videogame could expand the interest for the miniature game even more, certainly not harm it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:35:22 AM by Falconeer »

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 04:05:19 AM

Arise, thread! ARISE!

Picked up this game along with three friends on Sunday, and we've been playing it co-op every evening since, playing through all the missions together (not playing the new ones solo, to keep the coop experience fresh) and having great fun! As one of the (somewhat jaded) guys in the group said: "I haven't stuck with one game for this long in many years". We've been through almost all the missions at least once, and I can see myself tiring of it eventually once we start grinding the same missions over and over on different difficulty levels, but I've gotten my money's worth so far.

I've played one class exclusively throughout this entire experience, as the other guys in the group have, so I guess there's some element of re-playability with different classes for me later. I ended up with the Waywatcher, and the rest of the group consists of the Witch Hunter, Bright Wizard and Empire Soldier. No one wants to play the Dwarf Ranger, since he's so short... Heartbreak

Can definitely recommend this game for people with friends! why so serious? For everyone else... well.. I guess you have to brave the waters of random, online matchmaking. Which can probably be compared to every other online matchmaking service in existence, in that you will encounter players who either accidentally or purposely ruin your gaming experience. :X

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 04:35:33 AM

I've been curious about this one - how playable do you think it would be with just 2-person co-op?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 04:52:00 AM

Still okay I reckon, you'll have two AI companions though, who can be a bit... er... dense at times? :P But if you keep moving forward, they'll teleport to your location to keep up. Unless they get caught by some special mobs heh. I play it solo a bit, with three AI companions, and it's passable, but not as fun as when playing alongside a real person - especially while on voice chat.

"PACK! WARGHBLARGH! MMFHPH! Help! He's got me!"

"Assasblrpppggggggh! Eeeee! Come baaackkkkk!"

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 08:00:01 AM

Ah, quite like L4D then, thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide  
Jump to: