Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Shannara Chronicles coming to MTV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shannara Chronicles coming to MTV  (Read 17747 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 07:16:57 PM

Just realized Amberle was one of those cute waifs from Downton Abbey (complete with requisite mouth-agape acting style at all times) and Eritrea was the lead in Pan's Labyrinth.  Yah, the latter makes me feel damned old now.  Let the love triangle commence!

Weis and Hickman (Dragonlance) obviously stole the whole half-elf vs. elven princess vs. human rogue love triangle thing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:29:17 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 08:00:45 AM

A friend of mine on Facebook is complaining that the acting in this is something from a "bad teen drama" and that it is getting the "full twilight" treatment. He hasn't read the books so I assume he thinks every fantasy tv show should be GoT.

I am trying to explain to him that the source material was written for the same age audience as twilight and it is on the network that has made its mark by targeting teenagers/young adults. There should be no surprise it is coming across that way.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 08:47:47 AM

Though im probably two and done with this show I'm not particularly keen bashing it. It's teenagers who watch mtv exposure to fantasy. I cant really judge this considering this generation lacks the popcorn of the mid-late 90 fantasy shows like Hercules and Xena. Maybe they'll grow up and find all this YA stuff cheesy nostalgia.
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 11:32:09 AM

I think people just get that sour grapes feeling when they watch this kind of thing. Like someone else decided they were in an age group for supporting characters, not main characters. The book is total tween drama. The main actors aren't great, but they're age appropriate for the book.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 09:51:52 AM

Finally got to watch the rest of the first 2-hour episode. It was ok. The musical score was overbearing and really needed to be toned down a lot, and some of the actors were fucking awful. Overall though, I liked it enough to keep watching. I've read about 1/4 of the first Shannara book many years ago and put it down as boring, derivative hack work. Does the fact that it's a post-apocalyptic Earth ever matter for anything?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 10, 2016, 11:29:08 AM

Finally got to watch the rest of the first 2-hour episode. It was ok. The musical score was overbearing and really needed to be toned down a lot, and some of the actors were fucking awful. Overall though, I liked it enough to keep watching. I've read about 1/4 of the first Shannara book many years ago and put it down as boring, derivative hack work. Does the fact that it's a post-apocalyptic Earth ever matter for anything?

Not much in the original 3 books, it is basically just scenery. In later series in the world there is a bit more of the connection between them.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: January 10, 2016, 12:26:49 PM

Their "watcher in the water" ripoff was some sort of giant scorpion robot.

I am the .00000001428%
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 12:53:32 PM

I really liked the third Shanarra book. The first 2 were alright at best. I read a couple of the follow ups and they weren't bad.

Hic sunt dracones.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 12:13:22 PM

He definitely got better.  I think The Heritage of Shannara is the best of it.  After that his character tropes start to wear thin even though his world building gets more interesting.  I stopped reading in the Genesis series, even though it felt like it should have been the most epic. It's bridging the Word and the Void series with the Shannara world and setting it in the apocalypse but it was the same old character archetypes again and I couldn't slog through it all.
WayAbvPar

Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 09:06:23 AM

Just noticed this on Netflix and watched the first two eps. It is really pretty, and light enough fare for me to watch as I try to get to sleep. The guy playing Wil is annoying the fuck out of me. The other two young characters aren't much better, but they are definitely easy on the eyes.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:18 PM

Just noticed this on Netflix and watched the first two eps. It is really pretty, and light enough fare for me to watch as I try to get to sleep. The guy playing Wil is annoying the fuck out of me. The other two young characters aren't much better, but they are definitely easy on the eyes.

You've been nominated to power through this thing and spoil it for us.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 12, 2016, 04:18:40 PM

There's nothing to really spoil.  The show stays fairly consistent from beginning to end.  I liked it, which is more than I can say about the books honestly.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 07:17:00 PM

There's a handful of elf rave party scenes that are strange and cringe-worthy, but I kinda had fun with it on a second screen while I was playing Diablo3.

Mostly the actors just made me feel old.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 07:28:23 PM

There's a handful of elf rave party scenes that are strange and cringe-worthy, but I kinda had fun with it on a second screen while I was playing Diablo3.

Mostly the actors just made me feel old.

Yeah that was mainly my take away from it as well.  That and the actor who played Crixus in Spartacus now plays gladiator gandalf complete with the growling speech.  However I thought if you could suffer through the elf rave, and teenage angst that on the whole it was actually entertaining in places. 

One thing that I really wish we could see is a series that takes place in the era of the prequels to Shannara specifically starting with the Word and the Void series.  I haven't read much of the Shannara books, I didn't think they were sufficiently different then 90% of the fantasy genre out there.  However the Word and the Void and the Genesis of Shannara books were really fantastic.  The post apocalyptic images they generated in your mind and the gritty realism of a dying world was something that I think would be really well received if done faithfully.  I really can't think of another series other than the A Song of Ice and Fire that I enjoyed more than the Word and the Void / Genesis of Shannara series.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Shannara Chronicles coming to MTV  
Jump to: