Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149029 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #280 on: January 08, 2019, 12:54:53 PM

Honestly, I just want the ability to conquer territory without the acquiring the populated planets.  I keep accidentally acquiring new territory because my allies take systems for me and now I have a bunch of extra planets ballooning my admin cap.  Tried bombarding them but apparently I can't take a planet below 10 population.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: January 08, 2019, 05:56:17 PM

If you're in a Federation, you can give systems you don't want away to your allies and vassals. I've been doing that a decent amount, works pretty well.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #282 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:29 AM

I think I should be able to just vassalize the planets directly, but I can't do a damn thing right now because I'm caught in a foreverwar between the two fallen empires.  I managed to completely wipe out the Prethoryns in the middle of it and neither side is over 40% war attrition yet after like 30 years.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:32 AM

Yeah, that often happens--the AI has a habit of declaring wars where neither side can reach the other one because their forces would have to go through territories that they don't have permission to enter, and the AI never seems to think of declaring war on those empires just to gain access to its main target, even if the empire in the way is a minor nuisance in relative terms. So then they just sit there and stare at each other and tick the attrition down one slow percentage at a time. That's been an issue from the beginning--they should really find a way to fix it. Might be as simple as a check: "Can I reach the enemy that I want to attack? If no, no war."

I also wish that the game could do a check on a war's progress that would allow for quick mercy surrenders. If I demand vassalization for a small empire on my borders that has no alliances of any kind, doesn't have an ideology that is completely antithetical to mine, and is Pathetic relative to me, I shouldn't have to occupy every single planet and defeat every single fleet before they give in and agreed to vassalage. Sure, yes, there are kinds of enemies that should fight to the last, and some of them do--exterminators won't knuckle under no matter what, as should be the case. But if it's a kind of empire that can vassalize, and it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to win, don't make me curb stomp them down to the last drop.

At the least, though, I always feel less like an Evil Overlord if I'm playing a xenophile or other relatively benevolent type and I vassalize a pathetic empire nearby because the AI usually is so awful at governing--in the new setup,  three-quarters of their buildings will be police headquarters and prisons and commercial buildings. (Kind of like America, actually...)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #284 on: January 09, 2019, 07:30:38 AM

Getting to the enemy territory isn't a problem since the entire galaxy chose sides.  I either have passage or can conquer my way through, except I don't want to keep ballooning my empire.  I suppose I've already effectively beaten the game, but I would kind of like to finish the war and disburse the winnings to my allies.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:24 PM

This is on sale on steam for a Tenner right now.

Hic sunt dracones.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 01, 2019, 12:20:32 PM

Now available on consoles

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #287 on: March 01, 2019, 12:59:13 PM

I truly cannot imagine trying to play this on a console.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #288 on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:22 PM

I can imagine that somehow the game has been made worse and will be made even worser because its on consoles. what the actual fuck.  swamp poop  Ohhhhh, I see.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: March 02, 2019, 04:23:26 AM

I was surprised to see it as well. So who's taking one for the team and trying this out?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #290 on: March 02, 2019, 06:50:29 AM

I read a review or two about this, because the idea is intriguing. The biggest complaints were not the controls or interface, which they seemed to feel were somewhat decent. Rather, the fact that this is a baseline Stellaris experience and is missing so many of the things they learned and implemented that improved the game post-release. I might throw $20 at it some point, but the general review consensus was if you can play on PC, do that, not this.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: March 02, 2019, 10:23:40 AM

Screw consoles, I just wanna know when it's coming to mobile. Everybody knows that's where the real money is!

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 02, 2019, 07:52:16 PM

Do you guys not have phones? Yea you guys all have phones right?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 03, 2019, 10:25:21 AM

Hic sunt dracones.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:06 AM

New story pack announced: Ancient Relics (trailer)

link to dev diaries: https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries#Ancient_Relics

Seems interesting enough to me to warrant a playthru or two once it gets released.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: May 15, 2019, 05:53:13 AM

They'll have my money for anything with this now. It's incredibly balanced now--challenging, not impossible; it stays pretty interesting into the late game; different aliens play in quite notably different ways.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #296 on: May 15, 2019, 08:43:27 AM

Yep.  Every one of their games has a mechanic/theme its built around, and this is the first one that is actual story.  All sorts of the economic and military management we love from the past, but this one is just endlessly replayable with how easy it is for them to add story events in, let alone the racial role play.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: May 15, 2019, 01:11:59 PM

Every update draws me back for at least one playthrough, I have to admit.

So here's my cash Paradox, you win again.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: May 18, 2019, 10:58:01 AM

Started a new game.  Literally don't know how to play anymore.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: May 18, 2019, 11:24:08 AM

Same here and I have absolutely no clue what's going on. Oh well I'll figure it out eventually.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: May 18, 2019, 01:17:06 PM

I'm going to get some instructional video going, I think.

I can see that there's a lot of stuff added for the trade expansion (No clue how it works) and I simply have zero idea what's going on with my planetary situation ;  pops, zones, all that shit ;  no clue.

As you say, it'll be fun figuring it out.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #301 on: May 20, 2019, 01:20:12 PM

Got this for $10 and just started. So far I like it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #302 on: May 20, 2019, 06:51:50 PM

Yeah Ironwood, I had to relearn how to do everything also after the last major overhaul.  Watching videos is probably the best way to bring you up to speed, but after that if you still have questions on some points, feel free to post here.  Sure one of us can answer for you.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:52 PM

I watched one video and then I played several games getting better each time as I slowly learned how all the resources fed off each other.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: May 22, 2019, 05:48:21 AM

The Wiki is also good to get up to speed.  Haven't had much of a chance to dive into it since FrostPunk was on sale, I got it and it put hooks in me DEEP.

But I'll get there.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:09 PM

Once you get into the swing of it, the changes are very smooth. They're frankly way better than the systems they had before.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #306 on: June 01, 2019, 02:57:52 PM

Any of the add-ons that are on Steam sale right now worth getting? They all seem to have medicare reviews though many of the complaints are price related so it's hard to tell which ones actually have decent content.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: June 01, 2019, 03:30:29 PM

I got them all and started a new game.

I'm not really noticing much difference.  Sure, Ravagers and big beasts are a thing now, but....so what ?

I may change my mind when I get my DeathStar and Ringworld.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: June 01, 2019, 10:38:46 PM

I don’t even know what they all do, but I keep throwing money at them. I think the story packs are widely considered good, beyond that I’m not really sure.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: June 02, 2019, 01:21:03 AM

I'm sure they are, but it's the double edged sword of 'Story pack AND big patch.'

Mostly the patch is the meat and the story is just dessert.  Some folks don't wanna pay for dessert and some folks are already full from the meat.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: June 02, 2019, 01:13:21 PM

Goddammit, I have crushed your fleet, invaded all your planets and even destroyed all your science and engineering vessels.

I would consider my War Goals Met YOU FUCKERS SO GIVE UP YOUR EMPIRE.

So annoying.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #311 on: June 02, 2019, 10:04:49 PM

Any of the add-ons that are on Steam sale right now worth getting? They all seem to have medicare reviews though many of the complaints are price related so it's hard to tell which ones actually have decent content.
I got Utopia, Distant Stars, and Leviathans based on these two pages:

https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/stellaris-dlc-buying-guide/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/bdp5qx/which_dlc_should_i_get_first/
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: May 13, 2020, 01:55:40 AM

This is free all week.

Good luck finishing a game in that time.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: May 13, 2020, 09:07:06 AM

I like all the DLC for this game except the stuff that's purely cosmetic.

Free update this week that fixes some issues with Federations and adds some new gameplay.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: May 14, 2020, 07:27:34 AM

Started playing this again after not touching it for over a year or more (before planet tile & rare resource changes) and it's coming along nicely, lots of flavour and polish. Less frustrating to play than HOI4 although you can see it's quite a bit simpler (hyperlanes & blob fleets vs fronts and complicated combined arms forces) so that's partially to be expected. Still game usually kicks my ass admiral difficulty and still feels fun so I'm enjoying it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: