Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149030 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: March 07, 2018, 01:25:30 AM

Annnd The Contingency attacked my new game and this time I was ready and none of the hellspawn worlds appeared in my quadrant, so I thought I was smug.

I took my fleet and attacked and wrecked one of their fleets, so I thought I was smug.

Then I got my shit pushed in by two more of their murder machines and now I'm back to being defensive.  Also, the Fallen Empire that is supposed to protect us charged bravely and, frankly, it was The Charge of the Light Brigade.

Those Death Borg are STUPID powerful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: March 07, 2018, 04:17:11 AM

I've been playing a lot of this since 2.0.0 but now I'm going to switch to HOI4 once the new DLC for that is released on Thursday (at least until Stellaris gets a patch or two).
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: March 07, 2018, 05:16:45 AM

I'm loving like 90% of the expansion, loads of changes that just flat out make it a better game, unfortunately the wargoal system is completely borked.
If the other empire is near your strength at the start of war and you're just looking to claim some neighboring systems? Fine, otherwise: forget about it.
I suppose I could start rummaging through the code to try and write a mod that fixes the low scores for occupation/threat/relative navy power, but I'm a lazy bastard so I'll just check back in a week or 2 in the hope someone else modded or Paradox patched it.

I'm also hoping someone mods the heck out of the claim system, lot of options there, but as is it's fairly inconsequential.

And if you're kinda new'ish to the game and want to throw some special sauce on: the Synthetic Dawn and Utopia DLC are good, but the juiciest extras are in the mods.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311725711 --> Greatly expanded tradition tree, I wouldn't play without it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1121692237 --> More interesting Mega-structures (Dyson Spheres are sooo 22nd century)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683230077 --> More Ship types, slightly improved AI. Not quite the must-have it once was since Apocalypse, but still adds some depth to fleet building I like.

Those are the 3 mods I check first after each update.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #213 on: March 07, 2018, 04:54:54 PM

I've been playing a lot of this since 2.0.0 but now I'm going to switch to HOI4 once the new DLC for that is released on Thursday (at least until Stellaris gets a patch or two).
Let me know if the game is fixed.  Last time I tried playing, the game was still pretty much unplayable due to the worst AI paradox has ever put into a game.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: March 07, 2018, 06:57:13 PM

The AI is pretty good now, I think? It is pretty aggressive and challenging, generally.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: March 08, 2018, 04:31:10 AM

All I know is that literally, every fucking game, the soviets would be in Berlin by 1940 and other completely retarded shit collapsing your entire game world every time.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: March 08, 2018, 07:22:45 AM

Buy the DLC.  Buy all of the DLC.  It adds a lot.

Been playing the ever living fuck out of this.  Micromanagement is an issue, but other than that, ton of fun.  Some of the random even quest lines are awesome.
Aren't two of the DLC's just, well, new ship designs and race pics?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: March 08, 2018, 07:37:03 AM

Humanoid and Plantoid species packs are just what the name says and not worth the price really (you can get mods for that if you want). Leviathan and Synthetic Dawn are storypacks which add flavor to the game (including stuff like being able to play as robots) while Apocalypse and Utopia are the "expansions".
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:05 AM

Yeah, sorry, in my head DLC means Expansions, because who buys s the random portrait packs for any of these?  But anyways, yes, I consider Leviathan, Synthetic Dawn, Apocalypse, and Utopia a must for this game.

Man, I left for Bangkok right after my psyonic elven space Nazi nation took galactic contender and started a war with a fallen empire, just as my main admiral overthrew the government and became an immortal void god emperor.  I want to see how it plays ouuuuuut!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:35:51 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: March 08, 2018, 04:00:26 PM

Fallen Empires are total pussies.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #220 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:45 PM

I think this is the first time I’ve been able to hold my own against one.  They have always been overpower in all previous games.

-Stephen Colbert
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: March 09, 2018, 06:36:04 PM

Prethoryn Scourge is survivable so long as it doesn't core you out in the first wave, but bugged such that you can never complete it.  Loads of things are bugged awaiting the next patch, and I've found late-game performance to have degraded (admittedly my rig is getting long in the tooth so it is probably a quirk of my particular system). 

I've been trying to restore my 100% achievements here and I've had trouble with Fallen Empires punking the empires I need to use the shield planet weapon on before I can get to them and other empires just disappearing periodically.  Also, they aren't using Titans so I'm having trouble picking a fight with one to get the Titan v Titan win.  A lot of potential here, but be ready for some Dwarf Fortress level fun from time to time.  Will be much better in a few weeks for those who can wait.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: March 10, 2018, 12:01:22 AM

A good read on 2.0 ships: Ship Equipment & Load Outs - Patch 2.0.2 (WIP)

(at least I found it pretty enlightening on how things have changed with the Cherryl update)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: March 12, 2018, 05:15:56 PM

Annnd The Contingency attacked my new game and this time I was ready and none of the hellspawn worlds appeared in my quadrant, so I thought I was smug.

I took my fleet and attacked and wrecked one of their fleets, so I thought I was smug.

Then I got my shit pushed in by two more of their murder machines and now I'm back to being defensive.  Also, the Fallen Empire that is supposed to protect us charged bravely and, frankly, it was The Charge of the Light Brigade.

Those Death Borg are STUPID powerful.

So, had contingency spawn in my game for the first time.  I had already destroyed two fallen empires, just conquered 75% of one of the largest empires in the game, and had just built a massive fleet to go take out the third (and awakened) fallen empire, then they appeared.  I also was very confident.

Poor fleet.  And 200 year old level 10 Admiral.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:16:10 PM by Teleku »

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: March 13, 2018, 04:09:47 AM

If it helps, I have now beaten them and it's hilarious how QUICKLY all the remaining Empires just declare war on each other and start trying to eat away at the Galaxy.

But I am the Powerhouse in the Universe now because I defeated my nearest Contingency FIRST and then watched it eat away at everyone else.  So I'm going to rule.  It's only a matter of time now.

The Contingency ARE beatable.  But you need to bide your time, research up as fast as you can and have a fleet of Specced up 120k at least before you even THINK about challenging them.

If they spawn inside your empire at spawn time, you're done.  Done.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: March 13, 2018, 10:59:39 AM

Switched over to the beta patch, things are much smoother/faster now especially fleet combat.

Neighboring Marauders spawned a great khan, they ate my Life Seeded empire because we only had one planet.  I managed to steal a neighbor's planet and build a robot before my capital was destroyed, but things look grim (they were determined exterminators, they won't be pleased with this turn of events... and the planet was empty).    I don't think the hired marauders scale with the game stages, they are way too strong early (10k fleet when you've got 60 fleet cap) and ignorable later as they can't even threaten your Citadel.

The patch build does have a problem with fallen empires eating Fanatical Purifiers and Determined Exterminators, etc.  Makes it hard to get the shield colossus achievement.  I might have to play a determined exterminator just to shield my own planet.  I also noticed some government types keep falling apart, either fragmenting or dissolving entirely.  It'll be a while until everything works properly, but it is still fun in the meantime.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:04 PM

If it helps, I have now beaten them and it's hilarious how QUICKLY all the remaining Empires just declare war on each other and start trying to eat away at the Galaxy.

But I am the Powerhouse in the Universe now because I defeated my nearest Contingency FIRST and then watched it eat away at everyone else.  So I'm going to rule.  It's only a matter of time now.

The Contingency ARE beatable.  But you need to bide your time, research up as fast as you can and have a fleet of Specced up 120k at least before you even THINK about challenging them.

If they spawn inside your empire at spawn time, you're done.  Done.

I think depending on the power of your galaxy, it changes.  For instance, by the time they spawned, I had already researched every tech in the game and was only doing those long slow incremental tech ups.  I could field two fleets of over 100k each, giving me usually about 220k fire power in a given battle.  Each spawn is running around with multiple fleets of 200k deathbots.  I managed to take out one or two of their 50K fleets, but even when evenly matched, they wiped me out and only fell to about 100k from 200k.  I've been spamming shit and wearing them down, but suddenly they've built multiple new 200k fleets......

-Stephen Colbert
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:39 AM

I'm finding the Khan's to be a cake-walk (same with, well, everything else, honestly, including the crisis events), but I've got the min/max down pretty good. I generally play Large 4 arm spiral galaxies with 4 Fallen Empires, 1 Marauder group and 22 AI empires (any more and I find not all 4 Fallen Empires spawn every game -- as they are added last and are only added if the galaxy creation deems there to be enough room for their space), 1.5x crisis strength and 1.5x tech/unity costs, 0.5x habitable planets. Generally by the end of the first century I have two fleets at around ~80-100k each and am eating my first Fallen Empire. By the time the mid-game crisis can hit (Khan) I've devoured that first Fallen Empire, consolidated my space properly (expanded to all good choke-points beyond my initial choke-point groups from the initial expansion phase early game) and am finally starting to colonize planets more frequently (I rarely go above 5 colonized planets until this phase; only exceptions are large Gaia planets, what I took from the Fallen Empire, and any bonus ring world systems I've come across such as Sanctuary, Cybrex or ruined ring world systems) and have generally got my Science Nexus, Dyson Sphere done and the Sentry Array in progress and am looking at grabbing the perk for Ring Worlds, as well as having 3-4 fleets of ~100-110k power each.

By the time the end game crisis hits? I've continued to develop my space (rarely going outside it; mainly just for the sporadic war to keep any factions happy), am happily plugging away at the repeatable techs as my only options, have 5-6 fleets of ~120-130k power each and am laughing at the poor Awakened Fallen Empires that want me to sign their stupid treaties. Like I'm afraid of them; I could squish them with ease, but I refuse to expand further before the end game crisis hits.

My last game went like that and two Contingency Hubs spawned in my empire; one in a system where I had a size 24 gaia planet (which sucked; the planet immediately became their property!). But, since I had Gateways set up decently well I was able to concentrate my fleets, knocked out one Hub while the other chewed away at the other side of my empire before smacking it down as well. Had to rebuild my fleets drastically after clearing each Hub, but when you're rolling in ~2k minerals per month, even with your 5-6 fleets capped out.. it doesn't really take long or hurt much. Then, as the other two Hubs at away at the rest of the galaxy I began to declare war again. Didn't conquer anything; just declare war, walk in with my planet destroyer and smirk as planets went bye-bye.

The game is actually fairly simple to min.max once you get the initial start up going as you can snow-ball really easily. My next game after I get back from vacation will likely have me bumping up the Crisis strength to 2x and start adding in Advanced Empire starts and use the new Scaling difficulty setting.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: March 14, 2018, 06:10:53 AM

Game declared me Domination Winner.  Didn't know that was a thing.

I'm continuing a little bit because more aliens require to be liquidated.

Not sure what I'm going to start over as now, but I've certainly got the hang of the base game;  learned a LOT about how it all works now.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: March 14, 2018, 06:24:34 AM

If you haven't gone mental/void accession, that's a pretty fun path.  I enjoy the many different options you have in this game.  Rapidly spreading killer robots, ageless beings who hold up in a narrow area and tech up (did that with my venerable space elfs born of a gaia world), peaceful trading cyborgs, ect.  The eveolution path seems to have gotten shafted though.  You get to control all the perks of your race and genetically modify yourself as you see fit, which is great for role playing gatica or space nazi's.  But you don't really get any other grand events.  Other paths give you all sorts of crazy cool events that can happen...

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: March 14, 2018, 07:22:44 AM

Evolution also gets all types of nasty if you're an alien lover.  I was keeping track of shittons of different variants by the end and I didn't really want to.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: March 14, 2018, 07:52:35 AM

Ah, luckily I went space nazi on my evolution playthough and made the xenophobes.   why so serious?

-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: April 09, 2018, 07:18:20 AM

2.0.2 patch is out and pretty much every niggle I had with 2.0 has gobe away.

Most obviously war exhaustion is fairer and various bugs have been fixed.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: April 09, 2018, 07:27:47 AM

Cool, new game time.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: May 19, 2018, 07:38:39 AM

New Rome era game announced. Take my money, Paradox!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/go-from-brick-to-marble-in-paradox’s-imperator-rome.1098908/

Sounds like a mix of Victoria pops+economy and CK2 RPGish elements but maybe more faction driven than individual driven?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:42 AM

Slightly less interesting but thread relevant: Stellaris: Distant Stars is out in 3 days (on the 22nd). While it's a story pack it does overhaul the exploration system so even the basic game might be worth another playhtru.

edit: Niven update (2.1.0) is now live (changelog)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:56:59 AM by satael »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:04 AM

I have to say that Paradox are really the masters at making games more and more interesting as time goes on. I love a lot of these small but crucial changes and the new content they involve.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:22 AM

Based on a quick test game I really like how exploring anomalies and strategic resources have been changed. As for the actual story pack content didn't run into the "big stories" yet.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: May 22, 2018, 12:02:12 PM

New Rome era game announced. Take my money, Paradox!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/go-from-brick-to-marble-in-paradox’s-imperator-rome.1098908/

Sounds like a mix of Victoria pops+economy and CK2 RPGish elements but maybe more faction driven than individual driven?
Oh god, been wanting something like this for a long time, and I just finished the History of Rome podcast a month ago.  CK2 crossed with either EU or Victoria would be amazeballs.  My body is ready!

-Stephen Colbert
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #239 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:32 PM

So, my current game I managed to trigger the Horizon Signal/Worm in Waiting series. Now I am trying to decide if I should play it out or restart with the new Exploration stuff.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: May 22, 2018, 02:42:56 PM

Did the worm in waiting ever get fixed? Last few play throughs it wouldn't complete.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #241 on: May 22, 2018, 03:15:24 PM

I'm probably not going to be able to complete it anyway, because the Messenger spawned in another empire, who blew it up and then closed their borders to me.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: May 22, 2018, 04:26:10 PM

the messanger I think is just a sidequest of it, with the result the option to change your race's traits. The main quest is to do the research options and eventually build that empire unique building in your capital to summon it. Did it a few weeks ago and it worked.
Jade Falcon
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: May 22, 2018, 05:23:51 PM

That's the part that would never fire for me but it's been more then a few weeks since I played since battletech launched. I'll have to try again with the new expantion and see if it clears.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #244 on: May 25, 2018, 02:08:56 AM

The more I play this game - especially with the newest expansion - the more I realize that what I most like about Stellaris/Master of Orion et al. is the space exploration aspect of it and the quest lines and anomalies and not the combat aspect.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: