Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149021 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 31, 2016, 06:28:58 AM

I should have bought this instead of Hearts of Iron IV, I am going to be waiting a year for that to be playable. AI completely broken.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: August 31, 2016, 08:48:23 AM

Replaying Babylon 5 in Stellaris? Yes, please. Better sooner than later.  awesome, for real
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: August 31, 2016, 06:38:09 PM

I gotta say I enjoyed HOI4 more.  Sure the AI is terrible, but Stellaris was basically an empty box with a note that said "game to be inserted later."  The best thing to do is to play CK2 for a couple more years, by which time HOI4 & Stellaris should be very good games.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #108 on: September 01, 2016, 05:15:08 AM

Three editions of this on Steam but I don't see the differences.

I think I still need to wait and play this later.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #109 on: September 03, 2016, 05:53:53 AM

For everyone seeing this on sale: for sure wait until next year. Like all their games they'll patch in the fun and the sales will push it under 50%. It is worth peoples time however!
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: September 15, 2016, 11:29:00 PM

Stellaris: Leviathan Story Pack has an announcement trailer and is being released around the same time as 1.3 patch (sometime this Autumn).
If Alexis Kennedy has actually written a significant amount of content for that then it might be a (close to the) release day purchase for me.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: October 10, 2016, 09:06:45 AM

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #112 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:22 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #113 on: October 11, 2016, 05:58:40 PM

Ya that sounds good. bring it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:10 AM

My favorite line from the patch notes:

**Bugfix

* Xenophobic robots no longer hate their builders

I always took that as a feature.....
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #115 on: October 20, 2016, 01:52:24 PM

Yeah, is that really a bug?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: October 24, 2016, 07:55:12 AM

Playing post-patch and with Leviathans. There's a nice new quest in the beginning though it (so far) has a puzzling point beyond which I can't go. Gameplay is still basically what it was but I do see some improvements in the AI, you can control sector governors betters, etc.   I just got to a point in the game where the Fallen Empires have abruptly changed their behavior, all at the same time, and everybody got a weird transmission. So it'll be interesting to see what happens next--particularly because of couple of the regular empires (including mine) are now approaching parity with them (they're "superior" to some of the dominant non-Fallen Empires.)  I still think there's a point where the science ships don't seem to have much to do, which is frustrating and really needs further attention. Though maybe that will change shortly with whatever's about to happen.
WayAbvPar

Reply #117 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:53 PM

I really need to get back and give this another go. Will have to wait for the shiny to wear off of Civ6 though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: October 26, 2016, 12:07:35 PM

I think there have been a lot of good tweaks but the game still needs some flavor to make it to the next stage of things. I wish some of the events and enemy factions had a bit of the personality of CK2. I did notice that my scientists, governors and admirals are picking up traits more often when they level. Some of the negative ones aren't as fun/interesting in gameplay terms as they should be.

They definitely need to keep working on something for science ships to do after the initial rush of exploration/anomaly research. There need to be midgame/late game quest chains like the earlier ones.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: October 27, 2016, 09:59:11 AM

Enjoying my first game of this now that I got over my initial laziness/learning curve.

Can you terraform a planet once colonized?

Wierd that there isn't a viewable tech tree.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:31 AM

Enjoying my first game of this now that I got over my initial laziness/learning curve.

Can you terraform a planet once colonized?

Wierd that there isn't a viewable tech tree.

You can terraform post-colonization.. but it'll kill/piss off the people there, for obvious reasons.

Tech is somewhat random, hence no tree, but it's fairly straight-forward.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: November 02, 2016, 07:14:04 AM

So do I design my own ships or just let it auto design? And does it upgrade automatically with new tech?  It's addictive but fuck the UI blows and I'm not liking the randomness of tech.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:38 AM

You can design your own ships--the system is a bit more constrained now--you are basically designing torpedo ships, picket defense ships, battleships with big hanger bays, etc rather than a single optimal type. I'm not sure they've really fixed it, though--I don't feel there's a strong strategic match between ship design and actual conflict most of the time. I just saw one example in my current long game where having a very strong presence of anti-shield ships in my fleet helped me in a distinctive way in going up against a very shield-centered design that one of my late-game opponents favored. For this to really work, the AI empires would need to have strong preferences/obsessions in design that you could counter or to have a tech tree that's very faction-distinctive, and that doesn't mostly seem to be the case--every empire I've seen uses a pretty equal mix of the leading-edge technologies they have access to. Most conflicts, esp. late-game conflicts, come down to having the biggest zerg fleet.

There's a lot of other stuff about combat that still doesn't really make sense. Even the maximally strong fortress bases and planetary defenses are ridiculously weak and never represent a deterrent to an enemy that has roughly equal technology and empire size. I've never seen a planet where I think, "Whoa, better back off, I'll lose too many ships attacking it because of the defenses". The only deterrent is if the enemy forces have a larger navy than I do and their navy is able to get across the galaxy quickly, which keeps you from sneaking in and grabbing a system while they're busy somewhere else. The AI will always drop what it's doing and come a-running if you attack one of their planets. I haven't tried zerging them with six or seven planetary attacks at the same time, that might work in terms of quickly changing the tide of battle even against an opponent with a larger navy. Or sending a diversionary siege force to their home planet while you send the main zerg fleet to systems closer to your borders.
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: November 02, 2016, 10:28:50 AM

Haven't played since the last patch, but:

Tachyon Lances give range advantage and that lets you mow through superior numbers so long as you manage to avoid a point blank engagement.  6:1 fleet power disadvantage is not really a problem when you have range and space.  That said, it helps to have some ablative protection in the form of defensive corvettes, but they always get ripped so you are constantly replacing them when you bother with ablative protection.  So, absolutely design your own ships.  Also, they do not auto-upgrade.  The Auto designs will be lowest tier tech - don't build them.  Also, upgrade your utility ships too to make your science etc. ships faster and a little tougher.

Fortresses can be a deterrent when you deploy them like the end-game events do.  Central jump point lure defensive base surrounded with long range bases that debuff rate of fire, have mines, etc.  By the time you are picking fights with fallen empires you can deploy 4 bases and stop/kill their fleets (with losses) - basically reduces the number of independent kill fleets you need to simultaneously maintain.  If you have a choke-point they AI keeps coming through you can skip the central lure and bunker on the star to take advantage of range. 

Fortress lure (solo, or if you expect an overwhelming breakthrough) should be placed on the opposite side perimeter of the solar system, with the jump station near the planet on the other side.  This buys you maximum time to catch the enemy fleet in system where they can't just escape without emergency jump (or better, have to fight through all the stations in system so they get tied down even longer).  This is more important when you are fighting with jump-drive enemies.

Yeah, all end game tech.  I often have Tachyon Lances before I develop station based Mass Driver Module, though, so it can be accelerated by focus.  Also, if you have a fallen empire neighbor you can pick a fight early and if you get a kill and can research the wreckage you'll get the tech card much much earlier.  That's a bit risky, and really unnecessary in most game configurations as you can just plow ahead without such a risky accelerator. 

Oh, and on the tech 'cards,' if you want a new hand to draw from research the fastest option to get a new set quickly rather than plugging ahead on a big tech that will be useful later but not that interesting now.  Except for a few (Psi/Jump Drive, for instance) you eventually/effectively get all the techs so the draw mechanism just perturbs the path through each game to the same destination. 
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: November 14, 2016, 08:10:47 AM

Bought all the recent EU IV  DLC and have been playing it after leaving it alone for a year or two. A nice reminder how well these Paradox games age with regular patching and content updates. The interface is nicer and new DLC mechanics add twists to the game. The AI has been even improved where it can, and in other ways the mechanics were tweaked to help it out (with minimal outright cheating, stuff like changing strait blocking rules to help Ottomans).
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: November 14, 2016, 09:45:16 AM

Bought all the recent EU IV  DLC and have been playing it after leaving it alone for a year or two. A nice reminder how well these Paradox games age with regular patching and content updates. The interface is nicer and new DLC mechanics add twists to the game. The AI has been even improved where it can, and in other ways the mechanics were tweaked to help it out (with minimal outright cheating, stuff like changing strait blocking rules to help Ottomans).

1.19 patch that's now in beta will also change fort mechanics. I still need to get Rights of Man and I'm hoping it's on a small sale when Christmas hits (though it's so new that it might be too early)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: November 15, 2016, 07:43:34 AM

I like Rights of Man. The ruler personalities are neat, they add a nice touch of Crusader Kings to EU where a big complaint has always been that it's a bit sterile and lacking this RP aspect. When your ruler has certain positive traits and decision events come up you can get extra (usually better) options like in CK2. Haven't really noticed anything for negative traits asides from penalties. I've been playing Venice though so this is a bit more limited with 4 year terms for rulers.

Haven't tried the great power stuff yet, haven't gotten that big, but the new vassal management is great. The Coptic stuff looks interesting, maybe I'll try Ethiopia play after (though the 1.19 Scandanavia focus could also make a Norway colonial game a bit more interesting).
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: April 06, 2017, 11:35:14 PM

First major expansion for this just released.
It adds a bunch of fancy end-game stuff like dyson spheres and ringworlds, which I haven't touched yet as I've only spent a few hours with it so far, but the real meat of it is the civics overhaul.
At first glance it all looks good;
They fleshed out the faction system (allowing you to use uprising factions in your empire instead of just suppressing them for instance).
Made the government system feel a lot more organic, something that evolves with your empire.

I had to turn off close to a dozen mods to fire it up, so there's a lot I'm suddenly missing, but overall I'm once again impressed by their ongoing support and development of a great game.

This has completely supplanted Civ as my go-to 'strategy relaxer' now.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #128 on: April 07, 2017, 12:10:01 AM

The biggest problem with Stellaris (as well as all the other variants) is that there is no end game win/loss objectives. It's the thing that makes civ work, regardless of any other problem each iteration might have. You can actually win or lose a game in a single playthrough, and this forces a tension or challenge.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: April 07, 2017, 08:18:54 AM

I find that to be the weakest part of most of these type of games, Civ included; I hardly 'finish' a third of the Civ games I play(ed) as well. Mostly because almost invariably there is a point loooong before any official victory condition is met that you've effectively neutered the AI into complete impotence. I don't think I've ever seen a strategy game where the AI effectively reacts to the player's godlike superiority or his nearing a win condition, I guess it would annoy some people that the AI would be able to trip them up at the last hurdle.
That's why I enjoy these games more for the little goals I set myself and stories that develop along the way. Stellaris is great at that (so is Civ, but the last installment just annoys me in too many ways and Firaxis haven't been nearly as good at tweaking their game post-launch this time imo).
Don't get me wrong, I like a match to remain interesting for more than a few hours and at launch stellaris was very bare beyond the first 2-3 hrs (depending on your speed), but they've added a lot of mid- and endgame events and there is an enormous amount of decent mods out there adding content as well.

TL;DR: Civ's clear victory conditions don't matter as much, when it's too annoying/boring to spend hours to reach them.
Alternative TL;DR: It's about the journey man, not the destination, ya dig?
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:48 AM

I kind of like what the Total War series was doing, in STW2 and RTW2 (not sure if TW Warhammer does it) once you reach a certain level of size it triggers a map-wide mega war that actually has potential to throw the player a curveball. The player is thrown off from his steady methodical expansion off of exploiting AI stupidy by a large chaotic moment with lots of force in play. It's a bit forced as a mechanic but at the end of the day it does reliably produce some endgame tension for the player to deal with.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #131 on: April 07, 2017, 11:50:45 AM

Total War Warhammer definitely does that - it sends a giant Chaos horde from the north to crush your junk.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #132 on: April 07, 2017, 12:10:35 PM

Total War Warhammer definitely does that - it sends a giant Chaos horde from the north to crush your junk.
cough FFH2 cough

why so serious? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS Ohhhhh, I see. awesome, for real

One of countless reasons it was an amazing game was that events affected the Armeggedon Clock. Once pushed too high by the evil races, the four horsemen show up and wreak havoc across the map. And even that benefits one of the civs for most of the endgame (until it destroys them, too...but they aren't penalized by the hell terrain that spreads during armageddon).

Only Civs I've played to completion are the FFH2 games I've played.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 08, 2017, 11:06:28 AM

I'm going to guess that this patch breaks all saves, again? Really, it's kinda like we get a whole new game every patch...

That's okay with me, really. I'm in agreement with Spiff in that I can't remember the last time I actually got to the end of one of these types of games. Once I get well established in the mid game, I've "won" as far as I'm concerned. The long slog to bring the whole world/galaxy/universe under my absolute control just doesn't interest me -- it's the beginning game that brings the fun.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 08, 2017, 01:23:05 PM

Yes, it breaks previous saves.

So far I like it, but for me it's really about whether the second half of a typical game is more interesting--I already liked the first two Xs but it let me down in the last two.

Diplomacy seems better; alien cultures make a bit more sense in their behavior and preferences because of the ideologies.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: April 10, 2017, 01:17:38 PM

There is still a kind of frustrating slowdown right before the endgame where you're waiting for the last few planet improvement techs, waiting for more Unity points, waiting to be just strong enough to brawl with a Fallen Empire or your 2-3 rivals, etc. What I still think they need also is a midgame Science Ship scavenger hunt. As it is, if you didn't get the hunt-for-animals quest and that sort of thing done before borders started closing, they become endgame quests. I would love a science ship tech that let them stealth behind closed borders, with some element of risk. Or a midgame reveal like archaeology in Civ V.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: October 21, 2017, 10:38:55 AM

Not sure if anyone else is still playing this but Star Trek: New Horizons is an awesome total conversion mod that I'd highly recommend to try out and it's gotten to a point where it's relatively complete and bug-free.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #137 on: October 21, 2017, 11:13:54 AM

Nice!  I hadn't heard of that, may give it a go.  Just started playing this again recently, downloading the two expansions.  I've enjoyed playing as a hostile robot race that destroyed its makers (earth, and yes, its Skynet) and has set about the galaxy to eradicate all organic life.  Ton of fun stories and role-playing in this game.  It's everything I wanted Endless Space to be (which it wasn't) and more.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: October 21, 2017, 12:28:44 PM

I still play it. For now it has over-taken EUIV as my main Paradox game. I mainly just play my own personal mod for it, though. I have looked at the Star Trek mod before, but I generally don't go in for them.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: November 03, 2017, 05:50:41 AM

Stellaris Dev Diary #92: FTL Rework and Galactic Terrain

Not sure I like idea of limiting it to hyperlanes as it makes bottlenecks a huge part of the gameplay.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: