Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149022 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: May 18, 2016, 02:09:15 PM

One thing that seems to be a bug is that if you're in an alliance, when you go to war, you can demand a war goal for your ally as well as yourself. But when the enemy surrenders, it typically gives only you *all* the war goals. It's up to you to transfer the systems that you demanded for your ally to your ally.

Because of this, I've discovered somewhat inadvertently that the AI actually is wary of being gifted a system that's a long ways away from their borders (as it should be, given how the game works).
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

After the initial shiny it does start to become mechanical. I recommend if people are interested simply waiting a couple months (or until it's on sale) to grab this title just so you can play it some-what bug free and enjoy it wholeheartedly. The main reason really is the end game. The AI is not that great when managing huge empires through sectors and a lot of the end game events (which are meant to be the "big boss" of the playthrough) are bugged to the point of making it un-fun. Assuming they stay on track it will take 2 - 3 months of bugfixing to get the game up to scratch, so anytime after that it will become a must-buy.

Or play 20-50 years, restart and choose different ethos/traits/government like I have non-stop to try and get the best start possible  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Newbie tips for first games!

Like most Paradox games, your first game/s can be a little daunting. So many options with most of them being terrible, I tend to find myself wanting to make good choices even when I have no idea about the systems involved or how they'll affect my late game choices. So here is a ready-to-go list of good, general choices to help get you going so you can play the game and eventually make a unique race that fits your playstyle perfectly.

Traits: Talented, Enduring and Sedentary. This is my grab-all usefulness traits, as while there are heaps of traits that increase stuff like mining, energy, research ect, they only apply to the tiles your race works on your planet, nothing else. So I choose traits that will increase my leaders abilities, Enduring means they almost live twice as song, and Talented starts them at level 2 instead of 1(which when combo'd with Indirect Democracy/Democratic Utopia, Selected Lineages and Capacity Boosters you'll have all your leaders starting at max level all the time (another reason sectors are broken, sector governors never gain xp)). Sedentary's negatives only affect populations you deliberately move, if you have the free migration policy anyway this is a free trait. I use this set-up for almost all my games.

Government: Plutocratic Oligarchy. You will always need more minerals and energy, and while these bonuses only affect planets, they'll be a small boost to everything as opposed to some of the other governments that are for specific playstyles (something that you'll be able to choose after your first game, but choosing something like Despotic Empire without very specific choices in other areas will net you a very, very bad time. I also like the Agendas your leaders can choose when they get newly elected every 40 - 50 years that give an empire wide buff in their area of expertise which you can only get from the Oligarchy type governments. The buildings/military stuff you get from Autocracies are niche at best and a waste of time at worst and the Democracy Mandates are almost impossible to fulfill.

Ethos: Fanatic Materialist, Xenophile. Materialists get large bonuses to research and technology, which as you can imagine is very important. If your enemies have Nuclear Missiles and you have Antimatter missiles, well, you can imagine who is going to win. Materialists also have some great government choices, so after playing the Plutocratic Oligarchy awhile and want to try something new, Materialist opens up some nice options. Xenophile is a controversial choice right now, but they do give very helpful bonuses to relations and happiness if you have multi-racial planets (or if you build droid or synthetic populations, they also give this bonus). They also get an event early on that gives them an empire wide research bonus, something that combos well with Materialist.

Weapons: Missiles. Whilst general consensus is that Lasers are the way to go late game, choosing missiles to start with eases up your Physics research since it's in Engineering instead, spreading out your options so not all of your Physics is only spent on upgrading your fleets.

Transport: Hyperlanes. Warp is just flat out terrible, and while they say it's for new players, Hyperlanes is just as easy to learn and a lot faster. Wormhole is the best by far, but without learning how to manage resources first and the nitty-gritty of the game, Hyperlanes is an easy fire-and-forget style of transport for your first game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:01:51 PM by Pagz »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:13 PM

I like torpedoes. My newbie tip is have fun and enjoy messing around with stuff. Don't sweat the minmax stuff!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My Ace science vessel explorer turned president turned researcher turned 2 term president is once again out at the fringe of the empire exploring systems at the age of 98. I figure she can die in the depths of space doing what she loved as a kid.

If she doesn't get elected president again...
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 10:09:31 PM

Another little foible about sector space: if you are using any sort of special resource on any planet, that resource has to be mined in that sector. Otherwise the buildings just stop working.
Apparently there is 0 trade between sector and core or any other sector, I thought free trade would be somewhat more popular in the future.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: May 21, 2016, 03:31:19 AM

There are only two happiness levels you need to concern yourself with, 35+ and 90+. Under 35 and you start getting the really bad penalties, 90 or higher and you start getting the really good benefits. The penalties/benefits at sub-50 and 80 are significantly less important, and 50-75 is a deadzone. So if you bother with happiness, go all in. Keeping everything at 90 will net you +20% to most resource and research production. Unless you terraform or only colonize homeworld type planets, you'll be limited more by habitability than by +happiness modifiers.

I haven't found many ways to boost habitability without terraforming, which is too expensive and time consuming and needs to be done before colonizing.

+10 adaptive trait
+5 x2 for two social researches
+5 frontier clinic
+5(and 10 happiness) paradise dome(pacifists)

This will let you hit 90 happiness on tier 2 worlds.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: May 21, 2016, 09:46:14 AM

Thanks for introducing me to another time sink guys!!  tongue

Yep, one of those hey let me let me check the map and figure out my short term strategy aaaaaand it's three AM...

That and the major irritant currently to my hyper militaristic and xenophobic nation is a race of hyper militaristic and xenophobic fungi, for Lovecraft's sake. I've got blobs of quivering bath tub mold calling *me* ugly.

Facepalm
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:19 PM

I have found it is far easier/faster to genetically modify your race to fit the planet than to modify the planet to fit your race.  Takes less time and material (strategic resources).  It isn't an early game option, but neither is terraforming.  If you luck out and end up with a Gaia world you can modify to any preference and if you leave 1 point unspent you can modify again later.

Also, fun trick, uplift the cockroach.  They'll live anywhere (Tomb world preference) and are natural scientists. 

I missed the first Unbidden event, galaxy was too big and someone else handled it without even seeing what it was.  When playing on a small ring galaxy I had to do it myself, though it did clear out my neighbor allowing me to fill in behind him and take all his planets without fighting for them.

Not sure I really see the point of vassals yet, whenever the locals gain space flight and introduce themselves I just find an excuse to curb-stomp them and restore the even tone of my territory map. 

Also, throwing your frontier outposts into their own sector means you don't have to pay support (influence) for them.  The sector resource bit only happens when you transfer a pre-built dependency, the sector doesn't do it to itself as far as I can tell.  Just encourages you to keep all the best toys to yourself on the planets you control directly.

Longevity is probably one of the strongest traits, since you end up not having to purchase as many leaders (and those who you do have spend more time at higher skill levels).  Habitability is also strong, since you can colonize more widely from the start and put your neighbors under pressure faster.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #77 on: May 24, 2016, 08:02:46 AM

The point of vassals WAS that you could vassalize an entire empire all at once for a single extremely cheap warcost. Then, its fleet would follow yours around like a puppy and fight alongside you.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: May 24, 2016, 08:44:45 AM

Also, throwing your frontier outposts into their own sector means you don't have to pay support (influence) for them. 
Oooooo  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: May 24, 2016, 09:05:31 AM

Okay bug or some feature I don't understand?

My non-aggression agreement wound down with a neighboring nation. I immediately relaunched the diplomacy popup and set up a new agreement (with good terms, the other side rather likes me), I close the popup, then my new allies declare war on me. WTF? Well, I'm thinking the war declaration was technically before I got notice that they agreed to my terms, but looking at the listing shows the non-aggression pact in place. Then I see that they are technically attacking my vassal, not me. Okay then, maybe that's the thing. They won't attack me directly, but they have a beef with my vassal and I'm just drawn in.

Fine. I don't really like my vassal -- they can blow them to hell for a while then I'll just cede the territory.

Then they launch a massive strike against my capital planet. All the while with a favorable diplomacy rating toward me, and showing the non-aggression pact.

I really don't trust them anymore.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: May 24, 2016, 09:36:25 AM

The most annoying bug I've seen so far was when I was at war with some minor empire. I didn't declare war however (these insects are beneath my notice), one of my pitiful allies did, no doubt expecting my glorious fleet to bring them victory ... which of course it does; I decimate our enemy.
However they're also at war with another alliance completely unrelated to us, they settle peace with them and give them a bunch of planets my ally also demanded.
I've garrisoned every one of their remaining planets and our war score is at 100%, but apparently since they no longer own the planets my ally wanted they won't even consider peace.

I hope someone mods in deathstars soon so I can just erase planets that dare resist the peace I bring.

Apart from that I can only echo the slog the game becomes after about 100 yrs. An issue most of these games have, but a few more interesting/big events would help, maybe some more interesting branching techs to specialize my fleets.
Also: happiness is OP.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 09:48:54 AM

Paradox has been pretty explicit that the mid-to-late game being without interesting events except for the arrival of the Big Bads is what they shipped without and what their first major content patching will try to put back in, after they work some on sector management AI. I really want stuff for my science ship to do besides hoover up debris after every battle, which stops being worth it unless you're fighting the Big Bads or you managed to death stack down some neighbors whose tech is slightly better than yours.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 09:56:06 AM

I like torpedoes. My newbie tip is have fun and enjoy messing around with stuff. Don't sweat the minmax stuff!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My Ace science vessel explorer turned president turned researcher turned 2 term president is once again out at the fringe of the empire exploring systems at the age of 98. I figure she can die in the depths of space doing what she loved as a kid.

If she doesn't get elected president again...
She was up for election, but died at the ripe old age of 104. Got so much utility out of that one character!
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: May 28, 2016, 06:46:32 AM

Is there a patch on the way?  Sectors seriously fuck up my shit.

It's like putting Robert Mugabe in charge of a group of planets.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #84 on: May 28, 2016, 08:21:51 AM

Beta patch is up and available right now.  If you have it on steam, right click the game, select properties, select the beta tab, and opt in for the 1.1 beta patch.  In this patch, amongst other things, they claim to have significantly improved the AI.  It should be officially released before to long.

Was playing a game to test it out, but just before I got to the point where I had enough planets to start building sectors, I managed to piss off a near by galactic empire that currently destroying my puny human forces.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: May 29, 2016, 06:50:21 AM

I wish there was some way to set custom difficulty as I don't like the diplomacy penalty for playing on insane whereas other bonuses to AI controlled races seem fine so far.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: May 29, 2016, 08:36:26 AM

Beta patch is up and available right now.  If you have it on steam, right click the game, select properties, select the beta tab, and opt in for the 1.1 beta patch.  In this patch, amongst other things, they claim to have significantly improved the AI.  It should be officially released before to long.

Was playing a game to test it out, but just before I got to the point where I had enough planets to start building sectors, I managed to piss off a near by galactic empire that currently destroying my puny human forces.   awesome, for real
Installed, thanks!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #87 on: May 29, 2016, 02:33:09 PM

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: May 29, 2016, 02:42:11 PM

Your empire is doomed to explode.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #89 on: May 29, 2016, 03:48:28 PM

Sorry, forgot the link! (it's actually a workshop mod):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681993365

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #90 on: May 30, 2016, 04:07:03 AM

It would be even greater if you could research struts and then "even more struts" as part of the Kerbal tech tree.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #91 on: June 09, 2016, 10:30:13 PM

This increasingly feels broken for combat.  I've seen 52k of ships (mix of all) defeated by 7k of massed enemy corvettes.  Advice?
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: June 09, 2016, 11:55:13 PM

Build corvettes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: June 10, 2016, 04:51:44 AM

Of approximately the same tech level?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #94 on: June 10, 2016, 11:03:30 AM

Yup same tech level and yes using same attack type (e.g. kinetic) with corvettes does work.

However, there is still a weird bug I've encountered 5-6 times.  All my damage just stops.  A station will just sit there while my fleet attacks uselessly, doing no damage at all.  Restarting the games seems to fix it.

I've also seen a couple of false starts and CTD's.  Great game.  Hopefully it will grow and get even more polish.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 31, 2016, 08:13:13 AM

I'm playing this and having fun but the surface manangement thing just puzzles the hell out of me.  Are you supposed to farm pop in tiles with food and then move them to the tiles with the tech stuff?   Does pop ever spontaneously start on empty, non-blocking tiles or do you have to build something there first?
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: July 31, 2016, 12:35:38 PM

Pop grows based on how much surplus food you have on that world, and you can choose where it spawns by dragging the ghost humanoid with the progress bar to a new tile.  Having improved empty tiles has no effect on growth rate, pops will default to growing onto the highest overall yield tile unless you move them.  People grow in serial, only one at a time, though synthetics and organics can each have one pop growing on the same planet simultaneously.  Pop cannot grow if you don't have an empty tile for it to start growing on.  I haven't played in quite a while, but I recall about 6 food surplus approaching the limit of useful growth increases.

edit: sp
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:05:59 AM by Muffled »
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #97 on: July 31, 2016, 09:02:43 PM

This increasingly feels broken for combat.  I've seen 52k of ships (mix of all) defeated by 7k of massed enemy corvettes.  Advice?

you build nothing but corvettes until you can build fleets of battleships wielding particle lances, bombers, and point defense, with each fourth ship carrying a module

best balance i've seen so far is two bomber bays, three particle lances, and four PD's
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: August 01, 2016, 06:26:08 AM

My problem these days is that Everytime I have an itch to play a 4x I an watch someone like quill18 play this game and the itch is gone.

I feel sad.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:30 AM

Sunless Sea’s Former Lead Now Writing For Stellaris.

I really liked the writing on Sunless Sea and this seems like a perfect way to make the mid game of Stellaris more interesting.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 15, 2016, 03:44:26 AM

Wow, that's good news!  I really look forward to seeing what the game will look like after an expansion or two.

-Stephen Colbert
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 15, 2016, 06:09:38 AM

They are also trying to "fix" the fleet design with Heinlein (according to the Dev Diary).

Like most Paradox games it seems to be getting significantly better and better (for the most parts) with each major patch. Hopefully they will keep it up for at least a few years to come like they did/are doing with CK2.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 30, 2016, 02:44:26 AM

Another dev diary promising some interesting things to come in the future. I have to say that the idea of playing it all "Babylon 5" once "The War in Heaven" triggers sounds like something I've always wanted to try.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #103 on: August 30, 2016, 10:23:08 PM

This patch will be what the game should have been at release. Here's hoping it turns out good in November!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 30, 2016, 11:47:38 PM

Arg, I really want to start playing this again, but want to hold myself off till this next patch.  Once I start, I burn myself out on it playing over 100 hours.  Don't want to do that before the new goodies.  Hurry the damn patch!

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: