Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  (Read 149040 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:38 AM

http://www.stellarisgame.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxTT258PmNc

Pausable RTS combat, Paradox-style events, 32 player multiplayer support. Looks like a better GalCiv, if that's not insulting Paradox here...
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:46 PM

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:39:18 PM

Looks cool I guess a long overdue new engine.

I like that it will have elements from all other Paradox grand strategy series'.
Triax
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 03:08:45 PM

Looks cool I guess a long overdue new engine.

I like that it will have elements from all other Paradox grand strategy series'.

No such luck

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/clarifications.876380/
"1.This is a Clausewitz game. The newest version of our homegrown engine – the one powering Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV – is the backbone of Stellaris."
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:09:34 PM

New 4x space game by Paradox.  EU4 mixed with CK2 in a procedurally generated galaxy.  Who else has it preordered?
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:30:59 PM

Already a thread for this; http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=24984.0

I've got it pre-ordered. I've sunk enough time into CK2, the EU series (probably 2500+ hours across the EU series alone) and the various other EU-ish games to think the game warrants a pre-order. Likely the only game this year I pre-order.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:47:55 PM

bump for merge
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:24:51 PM

Already a thread for this; http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=24984.0

I've got it pre-ordered. I've sunk enough time into CK2, the EU series (probably 2500+ hours across the EU series alone) and the various other EU-ish games to think the game warrants a pre-order. Likely the only game this year I pre-order.

Sorry about that!  I looked for a thread, but apparently not closely enough.  I wish the game was turn based, but I can deal with pause and give orders.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:30:18 PM

I generally prefer turn based to real time, but the Paradox formula works well enough for me. I do have some concerns for the game, but I'm hoping they're not huge issues. Biggest worry is the AI; the pre-release stream they've had hasn't exactly been indicative of even remotely challenging AI, and their previous games aren't exactly known for it.

That said, there's a lot about the game I'm really looking forward to seeing their take on; especially the early, mid-game and late game crises which might make the game far more interesting, particularly late game. I wager I'll end up modding the game to make them more likely to occur (and more likely to have more than one trigger per game). I can already tell I'll be modding the tech speed heavily -- but I end up doing that in any 4x I play (it is always way, way too quick for my tastes).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 09:33:06 PM

I prefer interesting over challenging, personally.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:21 AM

This could be good for Paradox to not be bound to historical maps and balance issues. One thing the AI was particularly bad at was measuring terrain modifiers and sending armies into battles against terrible river and mountain modifiers when you had reinforce armies nearby. I haven't played EUIV recently but I think they are only now beginning to make progress on AI ability to move troops properly with sea transports.

Since it's the same engine, being free from these terrain restrictions that it always struggled so much with might be a nice boost for the AI, so a refreshing change for longtime players who are way to familiar with its logic and pattern behaviours.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:55:00 PM

First impression is definitely positive, I find it somewhat more "newbie-friendly" compared to the other recent Paradox's "grand strategy" titles.

And dat soundtrack, wow. Now let me just add Mass Effect's galaxy map theme and I'm in heaven.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:41 AM

First impression: Got to bed at an unholy time despite having shit to do at work today. It's good.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:16 AM

25% off at GMG SPACE25
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 09:46:39 AM

25% off at GMG SPACE25

thanks for the heads-up.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:45 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:38:56 AM

And dat soundtrack, wow.
First thing I did was turn off the music. I just run my classic playlist in the background and it's a lot better imo. Soundtrack is way too new-agey and repetitive for me.

Game is cool, first impression is same as my original post; feels like a much better galciv. Stuff like hiring the ship captains and governors makes a huge difference in the feel, though I've only scratched the surface. Meant to play a few minutes and ended up playing a couple hours, so that's a good sign.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 02:31:37 PM

I had a look at GMG for the offer on this and it is insisting on me putting in my address. I'm sorry, but the reason I use paypal is because I don't want to give my address. They say they support paypal but they still want my address. Not going to happen.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 01:11:29 AM

I am really interested to know how it plays out in multiplayer. I don't plan to koin random games but I'd love to play it with friends. Any opinion or link to other opinions?

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 05:06:53 AM

Bought it just before I read about the GMG offer, but I think this will be well worth the full price I paid.

Looking forward to the DLCs to fill out the holes it still has like the lack of victory conditions. And of course I'll take all the events I can get. Those are really fun and excellently written.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 06:33:27 AM

Yeah, haven't had the time to put in round 2 yet, but even just starting out and making first contact with a benevolent race it said they were almost impossible to provoke. Then my science ship failed an anomaly roll and found them in a mating ritual, which enraged them and they promptly destroyed my ship. Guess they're not into exhibition!
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 05:15:45 PM

Peeping Major Tom?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:31 AM

This thing just scratches an itch for me. Can't stop myself from playing it even with the bugs it has and the missing/hidden information that seem to be inherent to Paradox releases. I love how they balance research speed around population size (the more pop you have the harder research gets, so small empires will almost as a rule be technologically superior to bigger ones).

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 09:49:52 PM

When your first scientist hits 5 stars and can finally research that relic you found a while back...hey where did she go? No scientist in science vessel? Look on tab, 'Ruling from Earth'...oh man, didn't pay attention to candidate's names. She won the presidency from teh depths of space!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 02:12:03 PM

So, I researched the Physics lab and the Engineering Facility, but now they don't appear in the "build" tab of any planet surface tile. I'm obviously missing something here: what am I doing wrong?  Ohhhhh, I see.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 14, 2016, 02:19:23 PM

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2016, 02:35:31 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 14, 2016, 03:23:54 PM

I learned that one with my first colony, or, "How do I get a Planetary Administration"? (Upgrade the colony ship tile)

Looooving this game, but I'm going to have to find a way to put together a navy pretty quick. Got lucky with two relic ships (96 str) from anomalies, but one got smoked in an encounter with the cloud dudes. My best ship is 28 str and there are a number of hostiles cutting off my science ships... and a pirate fleet that decided to start wrecking my undefended stations. They got one station and had the outpost in the system down to 1% before the cavalry showed up to save the day at the last possible second.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 04:06:23 PM

This game is awesome.  It will be fucking amazing after they've had a few DLC rounds with it.

I had promised myself I was going to do all sorts of things this weekend.  Instead of I just played this game.

So many fun events and Easter eggs.  For instance, I found the Arakkis system, complete with colonizable desert planet.  Terra forming station has just been constructed in orbit to make it rain.  Fuck you Fremen.

Then, playing as the other Human faction (early colonist who got sent off on a wormhole across the galaxy and trapped, founding their own empire), I stumbled across Earth.  Unfortunately, in a rehash of Battlestar galactica (the original), it was somehow still at present days technology level.  So I decide to benevolently bring them into the fold, by secretly killing off all the world leaders and replacing them with clones.  Things get off to a rough start, however, when one of my agents attempts to take over a major nation but fucks up and causes a lot of death (farewell agent Trump).  The leader of the nation that almost got coup'd blames it on Russia 'a rival nation', and everybody goes to defcon 4.  Only through extreme efforts of my science officers and agents who have already taken over other nations leaders am I able to head off global destruction with UN agreements (thanks Agent Merkel).

Things proceed ok from there, until my top god damned agent on the planet falls in love with an Earth girl and defects.  He sends a message telling us to piss off and we'll never find him.  He then proceeds to start assassinating various agents over the years, setting back the plot decades.  Further more, he starts trying to make our plot known to the media.  Luckily, since he's also human and can't really prove anything, this accurate summary of whats really happening only gets picked up by the likes of Art Bell, and he remains ignored long enough for me to finally replace all the major leaders.  Who then all happily sign a treaty of global annexation into the Commonwealth of Man when my emissary lands in his flying saucer.

If the mod community on this takes off, there shall be some god tier fun to be had.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 05:36:42 PM

It broke Paradox's sales records, so there will definitely be good support for it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 06:34:05 PM

This game is awesome.  It will be fucking amazing after they've had a few DLC rounds with it.

I had promised myself I was going to do all sorts of things this weekend.  Instead of I just played this game.

So many fun events and Easter eggs.  For instance, I found the Arakkis system, complete with colonizable desert planet.  Terra forming station has just been constructed in orbit to make it rain.  Fuck you Fremen.

Then, playing as the other Human faction (early colonist who got sent off on a wormhole across the galaxy and trapped, founding their own empire), I stumbled across Earth.  Unfortunately, in a rehash of Battlestar galactica (the original), it was somehow still at present days technology level.  So I decide to benevolently bring them into the fold, by secretly killing off all the world leaders and replacing them with clones.  Things get off to a rough start, however, when one of my agents attempts to take over a major nation but fucks up and causes a lot of death (farewell agent Trump).  The leader of the nation that almost got coup'd blames it on Russia 'a rival nation', and everybody goes to defcon 4.  Only through extreme efforts of my science officers and agents who have already taken over other nations leaders am I able to head off global destruction with UN agreements (thanks Agent Merkel).

Things proceed ok from there, until my top god damned agent on the planet falls in love with an Earth girl and defects.  He sends a message telling us to piss off and we'll never find him.  He then proceeds to start assassinating various agents over the years, setting back the plot decades.  Further more, he starts trying to make our plot known to the media.  Luckily, since he's also human and can't really prove anything, this accurate summary of whats really happening only gets picked up by the likes of Art Bell, and he remains ignored long enough for me to finally replace all the major leaders.  Who then all happily sign a treaty of global annexation into the Commonwealth of Man when my emissary lands in his flying saucer.

If the mod community on this takes off, there shall be some god tier fun to be had.   awesome, for real
This sounds like great fun. Then I remember trying to play CK2, and I don't push the purchase button on Steam.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 07:08:54 PM

It's not like CK2.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 09:19:46 PM

What's a Fallen Empire? I'm a bit puzzled because I've got one on my borders and it's really strong and they don't like me but they also haven't expanded one bit since the game started, and don't seem to be threatening any of the neighbors.

This is the closest to the fun I remember having with MOO--it feels the most like that. One thing I really like is that it has actual chokepoints as well--you can actually make strategic decisions about which systems you've got to grab and hold.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:15 PM

It's not like CK2.

I've bought a few Paradox game and could never penetrate the interface. Longest I played was EU...2? 3? As the Iroqouis, until Europe showed up.

This game is NOT a typical hyper-dense Paradox game. I'm guessing it lacks layers of the older franchises, too; but that's a good sacrifice for the playability imo. Especially if it gets added over time, which I feel it will.

As far as Fallen Empires, not sure. I've encountered a few things I'm dying to look up, but I want to play my entire first run with no reloads, no reference.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:15 PM

Fallen Empire are the remnants of old galactic superpowers that could easily wipe you out without a second glace, but don't expand their territory. Each of them has one trigger issue, but if that isn't triggered they sit idly at home and do nothing. The two I know of are "Don't settle any planets near us or we will fuck you up" and "If you settle on one of these super colonizable planets we decided are holy sites, we will fuck you up".

This game is really great, and comparing to normal Paradox games (which I never could get into because I'm too old to make a master thesis on a single game) its really really approachable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Stellaris - Paradox goes to space  
Jump to: