Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Google Fi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Google Fi  (Read 7433 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 22, 2015, 04:25:46 PM

https://fi.google.com/about/

Does anyone here have this? Is it good?

Also, do beta invites exist?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:06:36 PM

If you look on the upper right of the page, there's a box to request an invite.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:47:02 PM

Is it VZ/ATT's LTE networks? That would be nice around here where they hop across each other.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:12:20 AM

Have you got a Nexus 6?
During Project Fi's Early Access Program we plan to only support the Nexus 6.

The currently participating networks:
Project Fi has partnered with Sprint and T-Mobile, two of the leading carriers in the US, to launch our service. You can view our US coverage at fi.google.com/coverage.

Fee Fi Foe FAQ.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:13:55 AM

I've been using it for 3 or 4 weeks. Been through most of the northeast with it. Works well except for a section of the mass pike. But i had issues with Verizon there too.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:25 AM

I have it. It's the best service I've ever had. Nexus 6 is a bit too big for me, but that's life. Even with the "payment plan" for the nexus 6 it's still way cheaper than my regular service was.

It was great in the UK and Canada as well, I just got a message "Welcome to X, you're good to go!" and it just worked. It's also faster than verizon ever was in my area.

I also disabled a lot of stuff like the auto-join open networks and constant unrelenting syncing of everything which was draining my battery, but that's just android in general.

It uses both AT&T and Sprint towers, whichever one is closer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:42:37 AM by bhodi »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:00:22 AM

Mmm so, using AT+T and Sprint and T-Mobile towers in aggregate gives better service than VZW alone?  I guess I need to take a look.  But, is the Nexus 6 water-resistant like the Samsung S5?  I need that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:30:44 AM

If it's water resistant, you should be able to use it as an umbrella  why so serious?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:33:52 AM

Why back in my day we -imagined- girls while in the shower. Criminy.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:53 AM

Mmm so, using AT+T and Sprint and T-Mobile towers in aggregate gives better service than VZW alone?  I guess I need to take a look.  But, is the Nexus 6 water-resistant like the Samsung S5?  I need that.
Sprint is like negative coverage (seriously, worst provider in the US by far) and T-Mobile's coverage isn't that great. Their FAQ doesn't say they use AT&T. In theory T-Mobile can use AT&T's network since they are both GSM but it's not clear they are doing that for this service. If they are using AT&T then AT&T + T-Mobile is at least as good as Verizon if not better.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 03:27:50 PM

A year later, any new complaints or praises? I am probably switching over as I am already on T-mobile so I already use their network and it works fine around this shit hole of a city (not really that bad, but I am from Cleveland...) I barely crack 1gig a month and am paying T-Mobile around $50 a month. Figure saving that $20 a month would help manage other things.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:22 PM

I think my average bill is around $35 and it's still great.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 06:50:42 AM

My bill is over $120 per month for two smartphones and it is awesome.  I can make phone calls and Swarm check-ins everywhere, even Belize.  I put my original SIM in a punch device and stuck it in my Nexus 6P for great justice.

Sure, I'd love to pay less but I'd also love to be able to always make a phone call.  The two black holes that I go to are my own home and Woodruff Scout Reservation.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 10:47:35 AM

I have it, and I've been generally pleased.  The one thing has annoyed me.  About a month ago, I started having trouble making calls over WiFi (which is 100% of my calls at home).  Turns out Fi uses some of the architecture of Hangouts to make the magic happen (according to several android forums, at least).  So unless you update and run Hangouts every so often, Fi gets wobbly.

Not a huge issue, but I detest Hangouts -- so this really got under my skin for some reason.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 01:06:24 PM

Hangouts really is terrible.

Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 02:12:02 PM

I have it, and I've been generally pleased.  The one thing has annoyed me.  About a month ago, I started having trouble making calls over WiFi (which is 100% of my calls at home).  Turns out Fi uses some of the architecture of Hangouts to make the magic happen (according to several android forums, at least).  So unless you update and run Hangouts every so often, Fi gets wobbly.

Not a huge issue, but I detest Hangouts -- so this really got under my skin for some reason.

Good to know. I don't really mind hangouts... but I hardly used it currently.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 03:29:51 PM

And to be fair, once I updated Hangouts and power-cycled my phone, it started working flawlessly.  Having to occasionally run (just launch, not even regularly use) an app I wouldn't normally use has got to be the most petty first-world problem in existence.

I live in the actual Boonies -- there are corn and tobacco fields across from my subdivision.  So having a phone that uses multiple networks and will seamlessly transition to WiFi calling has been incredible.  The money back for not using a full gig each month is also pretty awesome.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 06:53:41 PM

Does Fi piggy-back on Verizon's network now? I'm out in the sticks too, so far I have to boost Verizon's signal just to have one room in the house where a phone will work, and have been looking at Fi as a way to get the hell away from Verizon's godawful fee structure.

Basically, if my current booster will work with Fi, I'm switching.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 07:23:24 PM

+++++

- Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 04:50:43 AM

Does Fi piggy-back on Verizon's network now? I'm out in the sticks too, so far I have to boost Verizon's signal just to have one room in the house where a phone will work, and have been looking at Fi as a way to get the hell away from Verizon's godawful fee structure.

Networks I read: T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular.

Who are Project Fi's cellular network partners?
Project Fi has partnered with Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular, three of the leading carriers in the US, to provide our service. You can view our US coverage at fi.google.com/coverage.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 11:36:35 AM

Networks I read: T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular.

Who are Project Fi's cellular network partners?
Project Fi has partnered with Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular, three of the leading carriers in the US, to provide our service. You can view our US coverage at fi.google.com/coverage.

Ah yes, the U.S. Cellular has the same coverage map out here as Verizon. So... Is the signal type the same? Should my Yagi antenna and booster work for this?

And why am I asking here instead of contacting Wilson Electronics, the makers of my booster?

Lazy, I guess?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 04:54:10 PM

Not really impressed by Google's process of shipping the Fi chip. Ordered it Friday and won't be here till Thursday... I got the phone in 2 days, but a week to connect to the service? Seems they might want to reconsider that given the fact they just lost a week of service money. Oh well, at least shipping and the chip are free.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Google Fi  
Jump to: