Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Copyright shit [i need a few] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Copyright shit [i need a few]  (Read 3480 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 11, 2015, 05:28:19 PM

I know people can't really help me here, but I know we have lawyers, and I know lawyers know costs.

I don't know shit about shit in this arena and I need to copyright like six or seven things. Help.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 05:34:16 PM

What do you need help with?  If it's just registering a copyright, can't you just submit it yourself?  There's an online thing at copyright.gov, fee is generally like $35 per.  AFAIK anyway.

http://copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html#register

e-filing page
http://copyright.gov/eco/
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:36:33 PM

Prettymuch that. It's what we did for house plans when I worked on them.

The bitch isn't filing copyright, it's enforcing it. That's where the lawyers make all the money.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:04:36 PM

I know people can't really help me here, but I know we have lawyers, and I know lawyers know costs.

I don't know shit about shit in this arena and I need to copyright like six or seven things. Help.
If you're talking copyrighting creative writing type stuff, that's easy. If it's trademarks, get a lawyer, because trademark enforceability is a black art all its own, which essentially comes down to how hair-trigger you are about throwing lawyers at anyone that is approaching infringement and how well prepared your application was.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:52:47 AM

Also, whoever has the most money wins the suit.  Or, at least that's the case in patent law.  I hear.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 03:14:50 PM

Copyrights, trademarks, and patents are three very different things. Which do you really need? If it's just copyrights, that's easy--copyrights are automatic and free, or can be registered online for a modest fee (see the previous links). Trademarks are more expensive and harder to establish, and have to be defended vigorously (i.e., legal expenses). Patents are even more expensive to file and defend.

Also, whoever has the most money wins the suit.  Or, at least that's the case in patent law.  I hear.

If the defendant gets to file suit in Texas they win most patent cases, due to the default assumption of "guilty until proven innocent" that is prevalent in that jurisdiction. Otherwise, cases tend to hinge on the high degree of technical and scientific acumen possessed by most Federal judges.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:57:23 PM

Dude, just PM me. Assuming, of course, that you still need help.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:48:19 PM

Dude, just PM me. Assuming, of course, that you still need help.
I do and I shall, thank you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Copyright shit [i need a few]  
Jump to: