Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 3066 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: August 10, 2015, 02:34:15 AM

With the season finale of True Detective upon us tonight, HBO has released the first teaser of their upcoming show, Westworld, and it looks fantastic.

There’s some unsettling images here as the robots looking blankly on as flies buzz across their faces and an interesting mix of modern, science fiction-looking rooms back to back with sweeping expanses of the West, along with a couple of other glimpses of the show in the 30 or so seconds from the teaser.

This remake of the original Michael Crichton film looks like it’s going to be really exciting, and we’re pumped that Jonathan Nolan is playing around with robots and AI again after Person of Interest. The teaser also tells us that the series is coming in 2016, which is further out than originally anticipated.

http://io9.com/the-first-westworld-teaser-asks-you-to-question-your-re-1723033836

Video of the teaser is at the link. Couldn't figure how to imped it here, sorry.

Hic sunt dracones.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:20 AM

If they don't have Yul Brynner androids then I just don't care.

Loved the original film as a kid in the '70s, I'm sure it's badly dated now but the concept was awesome.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:11:24 AM

The film pretty much sucked for 2/3 to 3/4 the way through. When The Robots went crazy is when it became awesome, but most of it didn't have Yul Brenner being Yul Brenner.

Hic sunt dracones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:46:45 AM

The concept was so awesome, they made the same movie at least five times.  A few times was with dinosaurs instead of robots.

I think Crichton got stuck on it's a small world as a child.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 05:58:34 AM

Man, if this is happening here I hate to think what's happening in Euro-Itchy & Scratchy Land.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 07:57:09 AM

awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:20 AM

Most important question is who they got to play the whorebots.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:35 AM

The concept was so awesome, they made the same movie at least five times.  A few times was with dinosaurs instead of robots.

I think Crichton got stuck on it's a small world as a child.

Westworld
Futureworld
Westworld TV series
Jurassic Park series
Prey (killer nanobots created by man)
Congo
Sphere
The Andromeda Strain

Even Timeline

Remove the context and it's all the same story

Of all his books I loved The Great Train Robbery and Eaters of the Dead the most - I'm trying to work out if it matches the other books or not now.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:08:26 AM

Jurassic Park series

I somehow missed this.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 06:59:50 AM

I'm not sure how Andromeda strain fits into the mold. Was it really all tense or deadly in the same way as "what havoc man wreaks when he fucks with nature?" It was an outbreak story at its heart, just using that premise as the springpoint. It's been 25 years since I read it or watched the movie, however.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:38:34 AM

I don't know about the book but I saw the move a couple of years ago and it was dreadfully boring. Most of it was tounge bathing the high tech instillation they were in and talking about how really high tech the high tech instillation was, and how they had to slooooooowly decontaminate their way as they went down each level in excruciating detail. The actual biological Strain was just background noise and not mentioned most of the time.

Hic sunt dracones.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 12:06:48 PM

I recall the book being the same, down to describing each decon procedure on each level in detail. Suppositories were mentioned more than once and it was a very new and weird idea to 14-year-old me.

The actual "oh shit" moments were only like the last 1/3 of the book or so.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:59:13 PM

Westworld
Futureworld
Westworld TV series
Jurassic Park series
Prey (killer nanobots created by man)
Congo
Sphere
The Andromeda Strain

Even Timeline

Remove the context and it's all the same story

Of all his books I loved The Great Train Robbery and Eaters of the Dead the most - I'm trying to work out if it matches the other books or not now.
Err, how so?  I mean Jurassic Park and Westworld sure.  Man fucks with science for amusement, it goes haywire, people die.  Haven't read Pray, but sure, similar "science has gone to far" point.

But the others?  Spoilers in case anybody cares about old Criton books.

I mean, they only share the basic plot point of "people go to explore/look at something, and then everything goes to hell".  Which is very broad, and if you "removed the context" that much on everything, you'd have the plot of about 1/3rd the stories humanity has ever told.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:00:51 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 01:53:27 PM

Each story is "man fucks with stuff, man reaps the consequences"

Robots, chimps, nanos, even the Sphere itself

Prey is just JP/WW at a nano level

Andromeda Strain is probably the odd man out.

Timeline is lots of don't mess with time streams (but its ok apparently)

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:47 PM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Westworld  
Jump to: