Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hypernoob question about items and crafting 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hypernoob question about items and crafting  (Read 95670 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: July 19, 2015, 04:07:51 AM

I picked this up again aftre three years and I started a new character. Lots I have to figure out, but one thing I'd like a quick answer to:

Stuff I don't use: sell it for gold or break it for components?

And also, should I level up some crafting, and in some specific order?

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:16:15 AM

Break items after you hit level 60.

Level up all artisans as you can grind out a Ring of Royal Grandeur at 70 and craft Cains and 1 other set to make torment I-IV a bit of a joke.

I ended up with Ancient Set Cains gear on a new 70 from crafting. Stuff melted :D

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 12:28:45 AM

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Unfortunately, the whole point of being a hypernoob is that you don't understand what a Ring of Royal Grandeur is, or Cains, or Torment I-IV. Not being unappreciative here, just asking for a tiny bit more. But let me see if I got it straight:

- From level 1 to 60, sell everything for money.
- Use said money to level up ALL artisans.
- At level 60 stop selling stuff and start breaking/melting everything instead for materials, to try and craft... "Cains" and Ring of Royal Grandeur?

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:28:20 AM

The ring has a bonus that lets you use 1 less piece of a set to get a set bonus

Eg my monk is wearing the ring and when you mouse over the (green) set items you can see she gets a 2 piece bonus. She wears 2 sets, 3 pieces each (3x Sunwuko and 3x Inna). In the game this registers as a 4 piece bonus for each set with the ring which gives me some very desirable bonuses:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Setanta-1696/hero/60728903

You get the ring by hitting 70 and switching to adventure mode to run bounties. Complete 5 bounties in act 1 without logging out and Tyrael will give you a cache. The cache may drop the ring.

Torment is higher levels. The higher the torment the greater the XP and chance of good item drops. The higher level you do bounties at the better chance of a ring dropping from a cache.

So where does this take you?

This is one of my lower geared characters:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Setanta-1696/hero/63222804

I had already leveled my 3 craftsmen - the priority I use is Blacksmith -> Mystic -> Jewelcrafter.

I already had a spare ring from another character with intelligence on it so a used the Mystic to change the intelligence to strength. For you, if the ring drops it will give you your primary stat (hopefully) so this is not necessary.

I also crafted three partial sets of gear to get their bonuses. You will get recipe drops to make these just by playing at level 70.

2 pieces of Cain's plus the ring gives me 3 piece set item (increased attack speed and more magic find to help nice things drop). 3 pieces of Asheara's Vestments to give me the 4 piecce bonus with ring (resistance to everything and 20% life). 2 pices of Aughild's Authority to give me 3 piece bonus from the ring (damage reduction and most importantly, damage to elites increased).

This gives me a great boost to damage and survivability at Torment 3 to try and get new gear. Later on you can use it to round out a set if you have a great legendary item to replace a set bonus - like I have with my Witch Doctor:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Setanta-1696/hero/63004770

or my (novelty build Demon Hunter) who switches between different sets but I like sentries for fun and use the lesser set:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Setanta-1696/hero/63070958

I use my Mystic to re-roll for good stats that will benefit my character

For crafted blacksmith items I make an item looking for the word "Ancient" to get higher stats than regular items (see my DH's bow)

Finally, I use the Jewelcrafter to make gems to put in my gear to boost stats. Sell any gem that drops under level 60. Use the Jewelcrafter to combine the gems to make them more powerful.

This requires decent gold. Get someone to run you through rifts (a specific set of instances that eventually spawn a boss that you kill). They will drop a greater rift key. Then get them to run you through a Greater Rift. When you kill the boss in a Greater Rift (GRift) they will drop a unique gem that you can level up. Some are great, some are crap but the one I like is the one that causes explosions of gold when you kill a mob. You can run with one of these and gold will never be a problem again.

If you need a hand then let me know. I'm only playing seasonal characters so make one of those or muddle around and have fun, then make a new character as seasonal when the next season starts. I'm Setanta#1696 in game - US servers playing in the Aussie timezone.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:31:28 AM by Setanta »

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:07:31 AM

Thanks a bunch!

A lot of info to take in, but that sets me on the right path I guess. Not sure I'll ever get to the point where you are as I have a problem with gaming consistency, but at least I won't feel like I'm doing it all too wrong.

Another noob question since I am at it: how do you switch from Story to Adventure mode?

And thanks for the actual help offering too. I am on the EU servers though, I'd imagine we can't play together, right? (Not that I have any character beyond level 35 anyway  awesome, for real )

Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:53 AM

You switch from Story to Adventure mode in the same screen where you set the other attributes of your game (difficulty etc).
If you don't have the option to switch, you might have to finish the story once, to unlock Adventure mode.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:40 AM

Thanks a lot, it makes sense. I got the option to switch mode on an old character that I picked up again, but I don't get it on new characters. It's confusing, but nothing game breaking. I'll figure it out.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 12:40:58 AM

I'm struggling to see the point of seasonal characters.  Wife and I have been running them for a wee while and enjoying playing the game again, but when we hit 70 and nowt changed (and no special items have dropped), I'm wondering what the difference was and why I did it ?

Thoughts ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:13 AM

Some gear reworks,  flags n wings n shit.

Challenge to gear up again.

Other than that - not much. But seeing as I dumped the game for quite a while, I had fun with S3

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 01:30:14 AM

Yeah, we did too.  Just wondering if there was 'more'.  But if not, fair enough !

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 01:52:30 AM

Apparently, there's a bit 'more' for Seasons with 2.3 patch. Not sure what that 'more' is considering I barely know what I am doing, but I read about it in the notes.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:34 AM

Apparently, there's a bit 'more' for Seasons with 2.3 patch. Not sure what that 'more' is considering I barely know what I am doing, but I read about it in the notes.

Yes they want to make it more alluring. I'm not sure how. I feel like I've hit a wall on my crusader and I'm in T4.

The builds I'm seeing for crusader make no sense to me. Most of them don't even use a primary wrath skill, how in the world do they attack stuff?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:48:15 AM

That was always my problem with the crusader.  So many of his skills aren't actually about him hitting shit.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:30 AM

With Path 2.3 and Season 4 they are introducing the Season Journey:

http://www.diabloii.net/blog/comments/patch-2-3-season-journey-new-pet

New Patch 2.3 Preview is up also:

http://us.battle.net//d3/en/blog/19823807

most often known as Drevik
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:32 AM

That was always my problem with the crusader.  So many of his skills aren't actually about him hitting shit.

My Crusader does T6 with relative ease. I don't remember what gear I have but I definitely just smack shit for like 50Bn and it dies.

Groups of mobs however, I die immediately. I basically just crush bosses and elites.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 12:01:24 PM

Rolands set seems to be the gear I see the most builds around for crusaders.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 12:04:30 PM

I deffo have that, but I have some belt or some shit that's absurd.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 12:22:02 PM

I just started this game about 3 weeks ago, and my observations so far are:

Levelling up 1-70, I did it in story mode, following the plot, basically.  The game showers you with yellow "rare" equipment, and is quite easy if you keep your gear updated. 

At level 70, you have to change your "gear upgrade" strategy because items you get at 70+ don't give you more and more dex / int / str / vitality, they just have 4-6 properties ("affixes"), legendary items may have an extra "special" affix, and sets of gear have set bonuses.  So instead of more primary stats, you have to match the affixes and set bonuses so they work together as a whole.  As an example, my monk doesn't have the best in slot monk armor sets (they haven't dropped as loot yet, I just reached 70), but I've managed to put together some items that give me +20%, +10%, +15% lightning damage, immunity to some of the boss ground death effects, and crit.  So I've switched all my abilities to the lightning runes, and all of a sudden I'm able to easily do Torment 4 difficulty (up from Expert).

About that RoRG ring, it's quite powerful because "power" at level 70 is all about having as many extra "affixes" from set bonuses, and the ring allows a character to wear 2 or 3 (incomplete) armor sets instead of 1 - 2 (complete) sets, maximizing bonuses.  Blizzard has, I believe, made a lot of other rings powerful to try to get people to use them instead of RoRG.  I don't have it yet; I have a "if you don't crit 5 consecutive hits, you crit for the next 3 seconds", which I found awesome, because monks hit 7 times per second, so I'm critting all the time.

I ignored the Jeweller and Mystic and leveled up the Blacksmith because he has a few useful recipes for gear and weapons for sub-70's.  At 70, once I started getting a lot more money, it was a simple matter to level the Jeweller and Mystic, and then the "rare" recipes for them dropped right away for me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 12:35:25 PM

My Crusader does T6 with relative ease. I don't remember what gear I have but I definitely just smack shit for like 50Bn and it dies.

Groups of mobs however, I die immediately. I basically just crush bosses and elites.

No, I don't mean that they're not viable or destroy stuff.  It's just that (as far as I play anyway) it's not about slicing or smashing, it's more summoning and calling down retribution from the heavens.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 01:51:43 PM

I'm expecting Seasons will eventually be a polished variant of the Path of Exile League system.  GGG was (is?) using them to try out new game modes, not just new equipment.  I can see Bliz running with the idea, but of course time will tell.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 04:00:33 PM

I ignored the Jeweller and Mystic and leveled up the Blacksmith because he has a few useful recipes for gear and weapons for sub-70's.  At 70, once I started getting a lot more money, it was a simple matter to level the Jeweller and Mystic, and then the "rare" recipes for them dropped right away for me.
Not sure if they ever fixed it, and in  the long run it doesn't matter much, but when you get the Jewlcrafting Plans for new gems in the 60-70 range, learn them immediately.   Nothing annoys me more then getting a drop  for X new Emerald type, and then 5 minutes later getting a second drop for the exact same goddamned gem since the system does not take it off the drop list untill you actually teach it to the gemcrafter.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 12:58:57 AM

I have a "if you don't crit 5 consecutive hits, you crit for the next 3 seconds", which I found awesome, because monks hit 7 times per second, so I'm critting all the time.

I never actually used that because my attack speed/crit chance guaranteed crits every second on my monk. I dropped crit back to 37% and she pops stupid numbers that melts mobs up to Greater Rift 32, especially when the flying dragon  Daibo procs to double my attack speed. Best solo rift is 33, only to be exceeded by my DH who hit solo 34 (as a lol-spec Marauder/Sentry build).

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 06:39:01 AM

Yeah I don't have any of the nice weapons or the monk-specific armor yet, but the ring basically gives me the same thing even though I have "crit chance = 5%" total from gear.  There seems to be plenty of crit chance on the monk-specific gear, so I'll probably phase it out.  I got it at level 39 though, and I've kept it on all the time, through 70.  Re-rolled the measly dex it had to a gem slot, and now has a legendary gem in it, so basically 2 proc effects.

Works well with my abilities; 3-6 basic attacks to generate spirit, activate the ring, and also activate the passive ability for 40% increased damage, then Cyclone them close together and pile on the 7 Sided Strike and/or blow up the weak mobs that have Exploding Palm on, etc., all the big damage abilities that I have.  It's a rhythm (I'm only showing damage for crits, not for regular hits, so it's easy to see when I'm in the 3 seconds).

I can only do Torment 4 though (safely enough for grinding).  I do damage enough for 6, but I just die too fast at 6 (which doesn't matter, thanks to Spaulders of Zakara).  Greater Rift 21 is about the best I could get keys for, so that's where I am.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:41:27 AM by ajax34i »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:28 AM

So do the boundary stats on set items/legendaries go up as one goes up in Torment level? Or does better gear simply result from the synergy of the items used together?

I'm at Torment V now, can probably go to T VI. I got to T V fairly quickly, but I suspect the next Ts will go a little more slowly (although I'm guessing).
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 09:15:02 AM

If you are asking whether gear can roll higher stats at higher torment, the answer is no. Well, mostly. I think you do get a slightly higher chance at Artifact grade legendaries, but I could be wrong on that. Regardless, yes, most of the power to take you upwards will be from mixing set bonuses synergistically .

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 09:59:22 AM

Yeah, the synergies are what take you places.   Just a bit more stats doesn't really do much compared to the set bonuses, or legendary affixes than let you do totally busted stuff.

But then, I'm one of those people runnning 6 piece Helltooth + Grin Reaper + Jeram's bracers.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:30 PM

Going from one difficulty level to the next, there's an increase of approx. 40% in monster HP and approx. 30% in damage they can do to you, and increasing the stats a bit just can't match that.

What does it is, for example, getting the gear that makes you immune to boss ground pools-of-death, immune to stun and freeze effects, if you suffer fire damage you get healed instead of taking the damage, etc.  And also class armor sets that, for example, give double damage on your high damage abilities, guaranteed critical hits, all your pets also apply your damage abilities when you do, double the number of pets, cast the ability for no mana cost, and so on.

Combine as many legendary effects and set bonus effects as you possibly can equip.

EDIT:  Give your companion (Templar, Rogue, Enchantress) legendary items too.  For example, my Templar has a sword that summons an angel whenever he uses it, and I see that angel all the time, even though the Templar doesn't hit with 7 attacks per second like my monk character does.  And of course, the Templar relic that prevents him from dying, which means he can taunt and stun and take some of the heat off me, even though he only has 2 mil toughness and I have 25.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:45:16 PM by ajax34i »
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 06:22:21 AM

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

My barbarian now has the "Wastes" set and is simply ridiculous with whirlwinds. A lot of fun. I went up to T6 pretty quickly but can die super fast if a jailer or arcane beam hits me.  I need more legendaries.

I wonder if the cube recipes stick around after season ends.

I saw a roast turkey mob in a rift yesterday during a marathon play session. Or did I dream it?

Still looking for a mask of Jeram (although I found 3 Carnevils). My chest is running out of space with 2 characters.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:45 AM

I wonder if the cube recipes stick around after season ends.

They had fucking better....

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 21, 2015, 07:52:46 AM

If by recipes, you mean the legendary powers you have collected, they should get ported over to standard/non-season once the current season ends.

Yes, you will have to get them again in season 4 if you want them in that season.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 21, 2015, 07:54:14 AM

Aye, that's fine.  I don't mind having to start from scratch every season, but I specifically decided to do all the new 2.3 content on a season character (I have a pet, lol) so that at least it would keep me interested.

To find I lose anything after season end would be.... an annoyance.

ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 21, 2015, 01:32:49 PM

I went up to T6 pretty quickly but can die super fast if a jailer or arcane beam hits me.  I need more legendaries.

You need Countess Julia's Cameo.  It's beautiful.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 08:16:41 PM

I went up to T6 pretty quickly but can die super fast if a jailer or arcane beam hits me.  I need more legendaries.

You need Countess Julia's Cameo.  It's beautiful.

Oooh, yes I do.
Hoth
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 22, 2015, 06:31:35 AM

Alternatively you could skill "Ignore pain[Contempt for Weakness]". It gives a quick boost to your HP and frees you of all control impairing effects.
For the Amulet slot I would recommend getting the Hellfire Amulet with a nice passive, farming those is pretty easy if you do some bountyruns from time to time.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 12:24:03 AM

Thats what the Cube is for. I slotted the effect from Countess Julias Cameo on it and never looked back.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Diablo 3  |  Topic: Hypernoob question about items and crafting  
Jump to: