Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: TV recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TV recommendations  (Read 10769 times)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 03:14:09 AM

Unless you buy something that's really cheap (typically quality and price) or something that's targeted at business/commercial use (which will likely be extremely expensive), probably not.  The best you can hope for is that the "smart" features are not so intrusive that they make basic operation horrible.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 12:10:24 PM

I like the smart feature stuff on my new TV.

Workflow on old TV:
1) Turn on TV via TV remote.
2) Turn on PS3 via PS3 controller.
3) Wait for both TV and PS3 to boot/warm up so I can see what I'm doing.
4) (sometimes) Switch TV to PS3 input.
5) Navigate PS3 menu to Netflix app.

Workflow on new TV:
1) Press "Netflix" button on TV remote.

Pleasantly, it's the exact same UI; the only difference is using the remote vs the controller.

I just got an Amazon Fire stick so I can do stuff the TV can't on its own, like Plex and HBO Now.  We'll see if their Netflix client is any better (and more importantly, better enough to make up for having to use a second remote).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:10:02 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:32 AM

I just bought a Samsung 55" J6275. It lacks 4K, 3D and its not curved, the stuff I don't care about anyway. Will let you know what I think in a month, but my comparison will be a 8-year old LG 32" so unless they screwed up my TV I will be fine.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 10:40:35 AM

Bought a 75" 4k Samsung.  Supposedly the embedded NetFlix will do 4k, so that's something.  I won't know until after I get it installed, which will be sometime after Sep 16.

Listened to a friend talk to me about how awesome projectors are, and eventually I said "Are you in the projector business now?"  "Yeah, kinda." Ohhhhh, I see.  He did some reviews of Ricoh projectors and is apparently a fan now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:32 PM

Bought a 75" 4k Samsung.  Supposedly the embedded NetFlix will do 4k, so that's something.  I won't know until after I get it installed, which will be sometime after Sep 16.

Listened to a friend talk to me about how awesome projectors are, and eventually I said "Are you in the projector business now?"  "Yeah, kinda." Ohhhhh, I see.  He did some reviews of Ricoh projectors and is apparently a fan now.

Buying a top end Samsung is never a mistake.  This has been true for getting close to 10 years, and by that definition, buying anything else probably IS a mistake (unless you are on a tight budget).  Also, Samsung 4Ks are their best panels, period...even if you are seeing anything in 4K. 

Projectors are awesome if you have the space.  The only weakness they have are wives.  I'd give up the TV way before I gave up the projector.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:57 PM

The only weakness they have are wives.
You are right, I had a projector once and his wife was a total bitch.

- Viin
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: TV recommendations  
Jump to: