Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Sense8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sense8  (Read 3456 times)
satael
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2015, 12:47:36 PM

The new netflix series from  the Wachowskis (The Matrix) and J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5).
I had so many expectations for this due to Straczynski but my attention was wandering rather badly before even the first episode was over so I'm hoping someone else has had the patience to watch it further and can tell if it's worth watching or not (meaning does it actually get better at some point) ?
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 12:50:42 PM

I was told it does. But have yet to bother checking myself.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:32:15 PM

We've finished episode 4 and we love it. I hear a lot of kvetching in the Netflix reviews that there's a 'pro gay' agenda on this one. Why yes, yes there is! That's the world we live in! It has 'teh gays' in it! Lost of them! Even some that are transgender! Imagine having a story that portrays them as normal people!

However, even if you're not excited about this element, the writing is still good. It does skip about a lot and the story arc is continuous, so ya, you sorta have to pay attention to all of it or you're going to be very lost. It doesn't make apologies for it, and it doesn't try to dumb the story down with info dumps (except for one brief scene), which I appreciate.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:04:08 PM

It requires modern sensibilities, attention, and patience. If you have those, I think it is enjoyable. The wife and I have been working our way through it this weekend. It isn't my favorite show of the year, and it has some warts, but it is good. I do not think it was great prospects for a long future given the apparent budget and the number of people that will turn away from some of the characters due to their "cultural"" objections. However, I'dome back for additional seasons.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:35:34 PM

The agenda sometimes gets in the way of the story. Super sloppy strap-on shot, anyone?

I'm only 1/3 through the episodes and the premise is neat. It's just too overt to be realistic.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:43:02 PM

Wet rainbow dildo strap on.

Because... WACHOWSKIS.

Top reddit comment about sums it up for me.  Interesting premise but ever since matrix2 and we got zion dance rave orgies this about what I'd expect, sexuality as written by people who spend a lot of time online.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 06:22:59 PM

made it through 2 episodes

sucks
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 06:26:27 PM

The wife and I finished it.  Some heavy handedness, clearly, but it was fine... until it didn't end.  It just drifted off ... the episode felt like it was a few episodes from a finale.

It didn't have any JMS feel to it as far as I could sense. Just Wachowski.

I'll most likely come back for a season 2, but I know I'll need to rewatch season 1 before I do.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 10:26:39 PM

I'm enjoying it. It takes a while for the sci-fi aspect to kick in, but I think they made the right choice in not just explaining everyone's powers to them in episode one. The slow burn has been interesting.

Really though, I think I'm just enjoying the crazy mesh of cultures. Yea, a lot of those bits are over the top and thrown in your face like a sloppy dildo, but its interesting.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:13 AM

Wet rainbow dildo strap on.

Because... WACHOWSKIS.

Top reddit comment about sums it up for me.  Interesting premise but ever since matrix2 and we got zion dance rave orgies this about what I'd expect, sexuality as written by people who spend a lot of time online.

It started off kinda meh but I actually enjoyed this show. Its got more sexy times than necessary but once it gets rolling its pretty fun to watch. It has one of the most hilarious reaction scenes of somebody finding out her date is actually gay ever.

The spirit of van damm will compel me to watch season 2 I fear.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 01:24:38 PM

I thought the first episode was kinda neat, a little clever, like oh look this might be interesting. Didn't really grab me. I like the premise, though.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:29:53 AM

I've watched some more episodes and it isn't really as bland as I thought though it seems to be rather light on the science fiction part which I was kind of looking forward to (and the lack of which probably was the main reason for my initial disappointment).

edit:binged thru this and my final opinion is that either the scifi could have used less drama or the drama would've worked better with no scifi at all.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:16:06 PM by satael »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 01:38:45 PM

I couldn't see JMS in this show so I looked for an interview with his take on the whole thing - and I was surprised by a few things he said about the show.  After reading the article, I can see his influence more in the characters that he takes more credit for in the article.

An interesting read if you liked the show: http://www.indiewire.com/article/sense8-co-creator-j-michael-straczynski-interview-netflix-season-2-20150605

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:58:19 PM

There is definitely more depth to the characters than you would get from a typical Wachowsi vehicle - I just watched Jupiter Ascending recently, ugh.

I'm hoping the JMS's involvement means they are actually working from a planned out story arc, because a premise like this really needs it.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:37 PM

I ended up liking it more than I did initially.

A bit heavy handed on the sexuality, but I am more lenient now because of how much the story was about the characters as opposed to being a scifi story.

The show also wasn't paced very well and the ending was somewhat flat. But overall I liked it.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 08:39:35 PM

I'm hoping the JMS's involvement means they are actually working from a planned out story arc, because a premise like this really needs it.
JMS mentioned a 5 year arc in the article.

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 03:56:01 AM

If they are already going for a 5 season arc then the slow pace of this first season supports that.

I liked it overall, but I feel like it was a very long introduction and the second season will really show whether or not it will payoff and make this as good as it promises.  The second season needs to be more focused and I think people will really appreciate the first season more then.  If it is just more of the same I feel it will just not have enough meat to it.

I think they wanted to make the series an examination of different "sensations" to mirror the sensates growth together which at times really makes the show feel unfocused and self-indulgent.  When it all comes together and the sensates are helping each other it works really well, though the fact that some of them have skill sets that border on the superhero makes it feel a little contrived.  Still it works well and is fun.  Some of the diversions are shot really well too, and there are some scenes that mean nothing to the plot at all but you will watch with a huge smile on your face and it really serves nothing but to project an emotion.  Too many of these scenes do start to feel annoying (the whole birthing memories thing was a step too far I think) though which is why I really think the second season will make or break this show.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:58 AM

If it's heavy-handed, that's JMS. He's become even less subtle over the years as a comic-book writer than he was making Babylon 5.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Sense8  
Jump to: